Daredevil Evel Knievel dead at 69

MagicRose99

Watch out for my thorns!
Reaction score
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Evel Knievel, the hard-living motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

Knievel's death was confirmed by his granddaughter, Krysten Knievel. He had been in failing health for years, suffering from diabetes and pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable condition that scarred his lungs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/11/30/kneviel.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

I grew up watching Evel... my father was a big fan and never missed one of his shows on TV or the movie theater.

RIP Evel

Aww, that's sad. He was quite a character. I thought he was older than 69!

We've nicknamed my youngest daughter Evel Knievel. He will live on in our home.

RIP Evel. I hope you are reaching the heights you desired.

I thought he died years ago but apparently not.
RIP Evel:(

Wow, that's quite shocking... I was just reading the other day about how he settled some court thingy with Kanye West last week.

Rest in peace, Evel.

Well,he certainly was a daredevil. May he rest in peace.

I thought he died years ago but apparently not.
RIP Evel:(

I thought the same thing, Dingo.. I had to do a double take on the date of this thread... Prayers for his family..

Oh ..... I have to call my little brother to let him know. We spent countless hours making jumps for our banana seat bikes pretending to be Evel Knievel. :eek:

RIP Evel

I remember my brother and I playing with his Evel Knievel set, as kids... had the action figures, little motorcycles and little motor home. We'd sit in front of the tv watching his televised stunts... and then we would get brave and tried to do stunts on our bikes. :) Thanks Evel for making childhood fun... though scary at times flying off the ramps on our bikes, but fun.

I am from Evel's hometown of Butte, MT. I went to school with Robby. I am so sorry to hear this news, but I knew it was coming.

RIP Evel, thanks for the memories!!!

Who would ever have thought he'd die like any normal person? Hard to believe he survived all those stunts only to be brought down by a fairly mundane health issue.

RIP. You brought a lot of excitement to our lives.

My thoughts and prayers are with Evel's family. He made an impact on so many of us! It was as if he COULD do anything. Today's tricksters are just reflections of what was a true daredevil. Evel pushed the limits of machine and man.

Also, it was his injuries that made me an ardent seat belt user and aggressive driver. (A good driver uses his brakes, brain AND accelerator!) Bless you Evel and my sympathies to your family. You will be missed.

I am sorry to hear this too. I don't think this is very well known, but he was also an artist. Back in the 80's my husband was a valet at a high end hotel, and Evel was a frequent guest there. He gave my husband one of his paintings. We have it hanging in our living room. It is very nice.

I hadn't thought of him for years, but years ago in Illinois I had a client who piloted the helicopter that pulled Evel out of the Snake River Canyon in 1974!

Aww...i grew up with EK..

May you rest in peace...

When I was about 10, my next door nieghbor made a ramp with a ring of fire for his to jump through. He set it up at night for the big event. Little did I know that his big brother doused poor Evel with a a nice amount of lighter fluid. To my astonishment, it made the jump, but paid the price. As soon as it went through the circle it burst into flames. I laughed so hard that I cried.

*cough* Thanks again Evel for bringing us all so much joy and admiration.

When I was about 10, my next door nieghbor made a ramp with a ring of fire for his to jump through. He set it up at night for the big event. Little did I know that his big brother doused poor Evel with a a nice amount of lighter fluid. To my astonishment, it made the jump, but paid the price. As soon as it went through the circle it burst into flames. I laughed so hard that I cried.

*cough* Thanks again Evel for bringing us all so much joy and admiration.

What made the jump? His what? LOL Seems like a word is missing. ;)

I saw a bio of him over the weekend. It was remarkably sad, up until the point that his career was over and he had his liver transplant. By his own admission, he was always looking for " more". Stayed drunk, and was never pleased with his jumps. Nothing was ever enough for Evel. Life disappointed him much more than it gave him any joy.

He was a source of entertainment and an icon of the silliness which was a hallmark of the 70's, and I'm glad he was in our lives, but I wish HE could have been happy!!

I hope he had a few normally peaceful years near the end of his life before he became so ill.
And, I hope he made peace with his adult childern before he died. His children grew up with extreme swings in their little lives. Evel indulged in material excesses when he was performing and bringing in the money, but when times were bad or he lacked sponsorship ( he had a bad temper and drank a LOT, so he went through sponsers pretty fast) the children and his wife suffered. There were photos and film footage showing that the really adorable children lacked basics- not enough food, no education to speak of, no house, just sleeping where they could along the road in flea bag motels.

Evel never did anything in moderation, LOL. I hope you are resting in peace now, Evel. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back