NC - Linsay, 18, & Maggie Lunsford, 9, killed by police chase, 1 Dec 2007

Kymistry35

It's never to late to be who you could have been
Reaction score
Website
bringushome.19.forumer.com
http://www.rrdailyherald.com/articles/2007/12/02/breaking_news/breakingnews.txt

3 killed after police chase, crash in Granville County

FRANKLINTON (AP) - Two sisters returning from a shopping trip and a man trying to elude police were killed Saturday when their cars collided head-on, authorities said.​

Linsay Erin Lunsford, 18, and her sister, Maggie, 9, both of Stem, were heading south on U.S. 15 after shopping in Oxford, according to their sister, Liz Lee. Meanwhile, a Franklinton police officer was chasing Guy Christopher Ayscue, 38, of Henderson.​

I am deeply upset that the officer is being blamed ....

A similar incident occurred here a couple weeks ago. An 8 1/2 month pregnant woman was driving with her toddler in the car when some jacka$$ running from the police ran head on into her car. The woman was taken by ambulance and the infant was delivered alive but died later due to injuries. The woman lived as did her toddler. Some people are blaming the cop for chasing the guy and in this case, I have to agree. The road they were on was a two lane winding mountain road. The guy wasn't going anywhere once he got on that road. Very sad.

They're looking for money... you can't blame and collect from a dead guy, blame the City and collect big money...

While I am saddened by the loss of these innocent lives, the police are not to blame... the idiot who decided a chase was the way to go is the only one to blame.

Why? Police chases are responsible for some needless deaths, and many times it's over something as stupid as a few unpaid speeding tickets or driving without insurance or a suspended license. Is that worth the death of an innocent?

I'm curious to know why the officer was chasing this individual.

And if a cop had not chased him, people would still be complaining that the cops are not "doing" anything!! How do you stop someone if they dont want to stop?

And if a cop had not chased him, people would still be complaining that the cops are not "doing" anything!! How do you stop someone if they dont want to stop?

I'd rather people complain about things than people being dead.

Why? Police chases are responsible for some needless deaths, and many times it's over something as stupid as a few unpaid speeding tickets or driving without insurance or a suspended license. Is that worth the death of an innocent?

I'm curious to know why the officer was chasing this individual.

I agree with MagicRose it is the fault of the person who tried to evade the police.
If all your guilty of is a few unpaid tickets then why would you run anyhow???

The culprit could have stopped like a normal person being pulled over. He didn't and kept going. Even if the officer hadn't pursued him, he may have continued on driving like a maniac anyway. I wouldn't blame the officer..

I agree with MagicRose it is the fault of the person who tried to evade the police.
If all your guilty of is a few unpaid tickets then why would you run anyhow???

It depends I guess. Maybe the person was an illegal immigrant, or a petty thief. I can't say unless we get more information.

I stand by my statement though. Some chases are best left not persued in the interest of public safety.

An officer won't discharge his firearm into a crowd of people to shoot a suspect, so why should they chase one by car into busy areas were innocent bystanders are?

Police cars are equipped with dashboard cameras. All the officer had to do was drive close enough to get the make and model of the car, and hopefully the license plate and then let the guy go. Heaven forbid they do some "police work" (detective work) to later track down the guy.

It depends I guess. Maybe the person was an illegal immigrant, or a petty thief. I can't say unless we get more information.

I stand by my statement though. Some chases are best left not persued in the interest of public safety.

An officer won't discharge his firearm into a crowd of people to shoot a suspect, so why should they chase one by car into busy areas were innocent bystanders are?

Police cars are equipped with dashboard cameras. All the officer had to do was drive close enough to get the make and model of the car, and hopefully the license plate and then let the guy go. Heaven forbid they do some "police work" (detective work) to later track down the guy.

I agree Paladin. Chases endanger the lives of so many innocent bystanders. This topic has come up a lot lately in the Hartford, CT media as a couple of police chases have had tragic consequences. I want to know more information on this.

the guy could have had a dead body or a kidnapped kid in the car! we have no reason why these people run!

the guy could have had a dead body or a kidnapped kid in the car! we have no reason why these people run!

Or he could have not. You don't chase a car into busy neighborhoods because of what he could have. By that logic everyone could.

If every thief, kidnapper, rapist, murderer, etc., knew that a cop would not give chase, then they'd have no fear of being caught - just "race away!!".

People should not stand in judgement of the police in any given situation, because "you" weren't there... "you" don't know what all the facts are.

I for one am glad the officers put their lives on the line and go after these people... the stupid offenders run when there are no reasons to run and the offender is the one who puts lives in jeopardy... NOT the cops.

No one here is saying that police should never give chase. However, the circumstances need to be taken into consideration and weighed whether or not the crime or offense is serious enough to warrant putting the lives of innocent bystanders at risk. There was a case I read about recently where a teenager girl stole a car off the street, the police chased her until the girl lost control, smashed into a tree and died. What if she had run into people crossing the street instead of a tree? There has to be a better system in place of dealing with this.

Ah, but THERE'S the rub! You cannot have it both ways. Using your logic, anything could happen at anytime during any chase - fate. If you cannot leave it up to the police officer's discretion on when a chase should / should not happen, then what is the point of saying "They can chase, but..."

The police did not force this driver to cross the center line... the driver, in his own "wisdom" and stupidity, did it all himself. It is not the police's fault this ahole made the choices he did and ended up killing someone because of it.

Ah, but THERE'S the rub! You cannot have it both ways. Using your logic, anything could happen at anytime during any chase - fate. If you cannot leave it up to the police officer's discretion on when a chase should / should not happen, then what is the point of saying "They can chase, but..."

The police did not force this driver to cross the center line... the driver, in his own "wisdom" and stupidity, did it all himself. It is not the police's fault this ahole made the choices he did and ended up killing someone because of it.

You speak as if fate is scientifically proven. You can't possibly speak of logic and belief (in this case fate) in the same sentence.

It's not about a police officer's discretion. There should be a police protocol (and I believe there are in some states/cities) that certain parameters must be met in order for an officer to persue a chase.

I'm not saying that this particular chase wasn't warranted. If you read my above posts, I said I need more information as to why the officer was chasing this suspect. As far as I know the police have not given the family nor the media the reason.

Pardon me for using the word fate... but, IMO, ANY chase can lead to any outcome. To try and say that an officer can chase "only when" doesn't make any logical sense and doesn't guarantee that all will remain "safe"... it should be left up to the officer's descretion... period.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back