Reaction score
Allen F. Bennett
Missing since June 20, 1953 from Richland County, South Carolina
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Born: 10 Sep 1927
Missing: 20 Jun 1953
Age at disappearance: 25
SSN: 250-30-5816 (issued by South Carolina)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White Male

Circumstances of Disappearance

Deputy Sheriff Allen F. Bennett was last seen in a wooded area of Richland County, South Carolina on June 20, 1953.

Deputy Sheriff Bennett disappeared while checking on suspicious activity in a wooded area. He had stopped at another deputy's home to ask the other deputy to assist him but the deputy was not home. He left the deputy's house and was never seen again.

His body has never been located and he was presumed to have been murdered while investigating a still or searching for a suspect. Deputy Bennett was a U.S. Army veteran and had served with the Richland County Sheriff's Department for 3 months.

He was later declared dead. He was survived by his wife and 4-year-old son.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Richland County Sheriff's Department
803-576-3081

Source Information:
Officer Down
The Doe Network: Case File 3445DMSC
Social Security Death Index

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3445dmsc.html

I don't know where the poster above received their information but according to the Officer Down Memorial Page, not only was Deputy Bennett's body found several days after the incident, but a suspect was arrested just over a year later on July 20, 1954 near Wilson, North Carolina. The subject was tried and convicted of the murder and released after serving 20 years in Prison. Case Closed with arrest and subject's prison sentence served and was released probably 20 years before the original post was placed here. Sometimes a little online Detective work can solve some of these older cases.

The poster cited their sources as to where they got their information. Since the link is no longer good, the name is no longer on doenetwork, and that case file is no longer on doenetwork, it seems that things were updated accordingly.

Wow... Richard has been a poster here for years... matter of fact, he's one of the sole reasons that the Cold Case forum continues as it does. Richard is very thorough, and just because one case slipped through the cracks doesn't mean he deserves to be attacked in such a way.

This particular post was created 2 years ago... and, it was current at that time with a well-known missing persons organization.

For Richard: Keep up the good work Richard! You bring many lost cases back to the front just by being as dilegent as you are!

I have not called out or attacked anyone here on this forum and in fact have been an Investigator for 19 years. I merely pointed out that the info that I found took me exactly 5 minutes of work and most of the information the original poster quoted came directly from the Officer Down Memorial Page which is where I obtained my information. Not saying the original poster did this, but in my 19 years of service to my community as a LEO I have noted on many occasions that people will embellish on certain facts of a story or leave out certain facts to make a story more interesting. I hope that I am wrong and probably am wrong but I at least address that possoibility as opposed as the person accusing me of just attacking another member. I had assumed that most of the posters here were either active Law Enforcement, retired LEO's or victim of families. I have obviously made a mistake and shall keep the vast info that I do have on many of these cases to myself. God Bless you all and may the victim's and their families find the peace that they deserve.

60 years ago...

Please move to Solved Case section. As mentioned in another post, this case evidently was solved when the deptuy's body was found and a suspect arrested and convicted.

Below is how the memorial page reads. Note that in 2009, the part about the case being solved was not included. Even today, the page still states that he was never seen again. Obviously it should say that he was never seen ALIVE again.

------------------------------

Deputy Sheriff Allen F. Bennett,
Richland County Sheriff's Department, South Carolina

---------------------------------------------------

Deputy Bennett disappeared while chasing a bootlegger in a wooded area. He had stopped at another deputy's home to ask the other deputy to assist him but the deputy was not home. He left the deputy's house and was never seen again.

His body was found in the woods several days later. A suspect was arrested on July 20, 1954, near Wilson, North Carolina. He was convicted of his murder and was released after serving 20 years.

Deputy Bennett was a U.S. Army veteran and had served with the Richland County Sheriff's Department for 3 months. He was survived by his wife and 4-year-old son.

Read more:

http://www.odmp.org/officer/1745-deputy-sheriff-allen-f-bennett#ixzz2lJBsBO1k

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie