Study: Try honey for children's coughs

Dark Knight

Reaction score
A teaspoon of honey before bed seems to calm children's coughs and help them sleep better, according to a new study that relied on parents' reports of their children's symptoms.

The folk remedy did better than cough medicine or no treatment in a three-way comparison. Honey may work by coating and soothing an irritated throat, the study authors said.

"Many families are going to relate to these findings and say that grandma was right," said lead author Dr. Ian Paul of Pennsylvania State University's College of Medicine.

The research appears in December's Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071204...h&printer=1;_ylt=AlcVZF1f3soRl3acuQ4rarla24cA

Archives: http://www.archpediatrics.com

I think a few years ago Dr's started saying to NOT give very young children honey as it can cause some disease??

I think a few years ago Dr's started saying to NOT give very young children honey as it can cause some disease??

I remember the doctor saying "no honey for children under the age of one" and then I believe they added to the warning because some (or all?) honey is unpasturized (sp?). Does that sound familiar to you Amraann?

Way back when we were kids, my dad thought honey, tea and salt water cured everything. (I admit, I still use some of his folk remedies!)

I remember the doctor saying "no honey for children under the age of one" and then I believe they added to the warning because some (or all?) honey is unpasturized (sp?). Does that sound familiar to you Amraann?

Way back when we were kids, my dad thought honey, tea and salt water cured everything. (I admit, I still use some of his folk remedies!)

Yes, it does although I could swear the age was a bit older??
Thanks for remembering .. I just mentioned it so that new mom's reading this know that it may not be safe;)

Hi everyone! I always dring tea with honey when I have a sore throat ad it works really well. My kids doctor told me not to give honey to children under 1 becaause it can cause botchulism (sp).

Well, they've taken our children's cough medicines away now so honey for the older kids is about it, right? (note sarcasm)

Our pediatrician had a big sign on his wall that said "No raw honey for infants (under 1)". Something about botulism. :eek:

I guess people would put honey on pacifiers and fingers etc so the baby would suck on it!

I was looking up for a dog's cough, and they suggested honey for the animal for the same reasons... to coat an irritated throat... IF you can get the dog to eat the honey... LOL!

From the article itself:

Three pediatricians who read the study said they would tell parents seeking alternative remedies to try honey. They noted that honey should not be given to children under age 1 because of a rare but serious risk of botulism.

Federal health advisers have recently warned that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines shouldn't be used in children younger than 6, and manufacturers are taking some products for babies off the market.

My dh makes a thick mixture of honey and lemon warmend up. he swears by it.

My dh makes a thick mixture of honey and lemon warmend up. he swears by it.

Honey is also a natural anti-bacterial, so when someone has a sore throat from an infection, it should kill off some of the germs, which could lead to relief.

Aren't you up awfully early? lol.

Honey is also a natural anti-bacterial, so when someone has a sore throat from an infection, it should kill off some of the germs, which could lead to relief.

Aren't you up awfully early? lol.
Been up all night.:( But I usually get up around 5 ish.

I cannot stand honey, so I won't use it. Bee carp.

Why have you been up all night??
I had a bad stomach virus over the weekend and I can't shake it completely. I ended up in ER Friday night for IV fluids and anti-nausea meds. Whenever I get horizontal I still get nauseous. Then I toss and turn and keep my dh up. So i gave up about 2;30 and here I am.
Work ought to be exciting today.

I had a bad stomach virus over the weekend and I can't shake it completely. I ended up in ER Friday night for IV fluids and anti-nausea meds. Whenever I get horizontal I still get nauseous. Then I toss and turn and keep my dh up. So i gave up about 2;30 and here I am.
Work ought to be exciting today.

Awwwww.. I am sorry your not feeling well. Get better soon!!!!

Awwwww.. I am sorry your not feeling well. Get better soon!!!!
I am really ok. Just some lingering effects.
I am meeting MIdnightMyst today! I can't be sick.

From the article itself:

Three pediatricians who read the study said they would tell parents seeking alternative remedies to try honey. They noted that honey should not be given to children under age 1 because of a rare but serious risk of botulism.

Federal health advisers have recently warned that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines shouldn't be used in children younger than 6, and manufacturers are taking some products for babies off the market.

:doh: That's what I get for not reading your link! Thanks, DK. This couldn't be more timely for me. I see a big pot of tea w/some honey in my future.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back