Father left with triplets after mother dies after giving birth.

imthemom

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/12/07/rathbun.az.father.triplets.help.kvoa

This is so sad and so close to Christmas. His wife died after complications and he is left to care for three babies. He needs help, he doesn't know if he will be eligable for child care but he cannot quit his job as he is the only parent now. I hope his community really steps in to help him with his new family and dealing with the loss of his wife.

I saw this on HNN this morning. They showed the link to donate and said that the response has been overwhelming. I really feel for him, caring for one baby alone is stressful. My son had colic and it was stressful with both hubby and me. I couldn't even imagine caring for 3 and dealing with the loss of a spouse all at the same time, just heartbreaking.

Imthemom-

Thanks for posting this story. I'm sure that Andrue will be a great father to those boys. Here's another link to the story:

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=30006&cat=14

Here's another link:

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=7462568&nav=HM06

snip

Andrew has a full-time construction job, but questions whether he earns enough to afford childcare. And if he quits his job, how will he pay his mortgage?
"Absolutely anything anybody can help out with or contribute, I'd be very happy to accept anything. I've got my babies, my three boys to worry about, and that's what's keeping me strong."
Andrew calls them daddy's little army.
If you'd like to help the Smith Family, you can drop off items such as diapers, clothes and car seats at Victory Assembly of God Church, at 2561 W. Ruthrauff Rd., Tucson AZ, 85705-1853.
A memorial fund has been set-up as well. If you'd like to donate to that, just go to any Wells Fargo Bank and donate to the Debra L. Smith Family Memorial Fund.
If you are wiring money from outside the Tucson area, please tell your local Wells Fargo banker to send your donation to account number 8453610233 through routing number 121000248.
You may also mail a check to the Debra L. Smith Family Memorial Fund c/o Wells Fargo, 2825 N. Campbell Ave., Tucson AZ, 85719.
pxl_trans.gif

Thanks Idahomom for more info on where to send donations. I am glad to hear the response has been overwhelming. I totally understand where you are coming from Lurker, my DD had colic and my husband and I were so dead tired and frustrated it wasn't even funny, we laugh about it now that she is 3 but then we felt like walking zombies. Finally found out it was milk protein allergy and she was like a different baby.

Thanks Idahomom for more info on where to send donations. I am glad to hear the response has been overwhelming. I totally understand where you are coming from Lurker, my DD had colic and my husband and I were so dead tired and frustrated it wasn't even funny, we laugh about it now that she is 3 but then we felt like walking zombies. Finally found out it was milk protein allergy and she was like a different baby.

You're welcome, mom. :)

This man's needs are great. The way I see it- the biggest hurdle will be caring for the babies during the night. I think he definitely needs nurses to feed and care for them until they can sleep through the night. He needs to be able to work during the day so he really needs sleep.

I didn't see any reference to support from family. I wonder about that. :confused:

You're welcome, mom. :)

This man's needs are great. The way I see it- the biggest hurdle will be caring for the babies during the night. I think he definitely needs nurses to feed and care for them until they can sleep through the night. He needs to be able to work during the day so he really needs sleep.

I didn't see any reference to support from family. I wonder about that. :confused:

I was wondering that too, his mother or her mother. I wonder if they are near by. That would be the best to have grandmas taking care of them.

Being it's 2007 we seldom think about how indeed childbirth can be dangerous. I feel bad that this woman died doing one of things that is so natural. Such a shame.

I will keep this family in my thoughts and prayers. How very sad.

How sad for the babies, Andrew, and Debra. She never saw her little boys before she went to heaven. I wish so much that I could donate money to this man who is stepping up to the enormous challenge ahead of him with courage and love. He seems so kind and loving with his babies even though he's obviously heartbroken over losing his wife.

Like you,I wondered about family members as well. I don't mean this in any irreverent way towards his deceased wife or him, but I hope that when the time is right in his life in the future, God will send a very special lady into his life to love him and help him raise the boys as her own.

Two positive things from the video: The tiny triplets boys are precious and are healthy enough for Dad to hold them, which is a miracle considering that their mother's heart stopped beating, possibly while they were being delivered.
And although Debra died giving them life, it is soooo heartwarming to see a young overwhelmed father embrace his babies on the news instead of having another report of a pregnant woman or a mother and her baby being murdered by her husband or the baby's daddy.
I don't have money to give at this time, but I will be praying for this little family to thrive.
I hope there will be followups to their story as they grow.
Maria

I hope he gets lots of donations. The kids should be able to get a social security check of some sort which will help. He needs live-in help and lots of relatives around.

This is a very very sad and tragic story.

I don't find myself wanting to reach deep into my pocket and send money.

Frankly, I don't understand why single fathers trying to raise their own children are always raised practically to sainthood. I just don't get it. :confused:

Frankly, I don't understand why single fathers trying to raise their own children are always raised practically to sainthood. I just don't get it. :confused:

IMO, I don't see him being raised to sainthood. I see him as a man in the middle of a nightmare with three little babies to raise suddenly on his own. :twocents: I would feel the same way for a woman in a similar circumstance. It's tough enough with 2 parents in the home to raise children to adulthood.

I wish the very best for Andrue and his three baby boys. :)

I hold deep respect for both men and women doing it alone. This is just particulrly tragic b/c it is multiples and nobody asked for a divorce or to part ways, they had no choice.

IMO, I don't see him being raised to sainthood. I see him as a man in the middle of a nightmare with three little babies to raise suddenly on his own. :twocents: I would feel the same way for a woman in a similar circumstance. It's tough enough with 2 parents in the home to raise children to adulthood.

I wish the very best for Andrue and his three baby boys. :)

I agree. And ever since I read this story, him and his babies have been on my mind alot. It just hits a little close to home.

If I could help out by sending him money I would in a heartbeat, but I can't. So I will do the only thing that I can and that is to keep him and his babies in my prayers. I wish for them the best that the holidays can bring them.

I cannot imagine taking care of baby triplets alone. Now, he does not even have anyone to depend on as he has to be the babysitter now and somehow work to support his family. I hope he get some sort of survivors benefit from SS but that is dependent on how much mom made in her lifetime.

He was a working man, his wife DIED giving birth, hes overwhelmed now how he will raise them, he looks depressed in the video, rightfully so, overwhelmed, I will send him something as soon as I can. HE NEEDS HELP. We see welfare Moms getting ALL kinds of help, so Im glad his plight is getting attention. He had NO idea this was going to happen.
How in the world could he go on a construction job everyday, come home, take over care of THREE newborns? And not collapse from exhaustion?
It doesnt appear like he has any family close by.
What about deadbeat Dads who just walk away, dont pay child support? This man seems decent.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/12/11/rathbun.az.triplets.folo.kvoa

Here is an update. The babies are getting so many donations, people are calling from all over even Canada. So glad to see there are so many good people out there. It seems like all we hear about is bad. It is good to hear some good about mankind especially in the holliday season.
--that's great news, people can be very generous to help this poor guy out--Christmas spirit of giving is alive and well!

He was a working man, his wife DIED giving birth, hes overwhelmed now how he will raise them, he looks depressed in the video, rightfully so, overwhelmed, I will send him something as soon as I can. HE NEEDS HELP. We see welfare Moms getting ALL kinds of help, so Im glad his plight is getting attention. He had NO idea this was going to happen.
How in the world could he go on a construction job everyday, come home, take over care of THREE newborns? And not collapse from exhaustion?
It doesnt appear like he has any family close by.
What about deadbeat Dads who just walk away, dont pay child support? This man seems decent.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Of course it's overwhelming and tragic. I never said he wasn't a decent man. Now you sorta made my point for me. ....Is everyone so used to deadbeat dads that when we run into a father being a dad that we are amazed?

In my son's school ( and it's a VERY small school) there is a dad that lost his wife last year to cancer leaving him to raise 4 daughters on his own. A mother whose husband was killed in Iraq leaving her with a very young set of twins and an older child to raise. Everyone that has a child at the school tries to do what we can for them.

I know plenty of single parents that must work full time and are exhausted, but they manage to still take care of their children.

My point being, you don't have to look far to find someone deserving of some help.

So my question is....why all of the fuss about THIS guy and his plight? Is it because so a joyous occasion as childbirth was marred by sudden death? Because it was triplets? Because it's Christmas time?

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Of course it's overwhelming and tragic. I never said he wasn't a decent man. Now you sorta made my point for me. ....Is everyone so used to deadbeat dads that when we run into a father being a dad that we are amazed?

In my son's school ( and it's a VERY small school) there is a dad that lost his wife last year to cancer leaving him to raise 4 daughters on his own. A mother whose husband was killed in Iraq leaving her with a very young set of twins and an older child to raise. Everyone that has a child at the school tries to do what we can for them.

I know plenty of single parents that must work full time and are exhausted, but they manage to still take care of their children.

My point being, you don't have to look far to find someone deserving of some help.

So my question is....why all of the fuss about THIS guy and his plight? Is it because so a joyous occasion as childbirth was marred by sudden death? Because it was triplets? Because it's Christmas time?

I think alot of people in similar circumstances are fussed over (to borrow your term). The national media did up pick this story, but there are many similar stories played out in local media every day. I see it all the time.

Alot of people get joy out of helping others and getting outside of themselves a bit. I know that nothing feels better than giving someone a hand up- man, woman, or child...it doesn't matter. We are all human and we're all in this together.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back