Panther Expert Called In After Toddler Found Mauled

Maybe the mother would know what attacked her child had she not left him alone outside..

I am sorry but 3 YO'd is to young to be alone outside.

I could not agree more, Am! A three year old requires constant supervision indoors or out!

Would a panther have mauled the child and left? We can rest assured it wasn't a pitbull. It would not have stopped the attack before it was complete.

I could not agree more, Am! A three year old requires constant supervision indoors or out!

Would a panther have mauled the child and left? We can rest assured it wasn't a pitbull. It would not have stopped the attack before it was complete.

OK I just asked my hubby who works for the park service and has some inside info on these things..
First off there is NO documented attack by a FL Panther EVER.
That being said many years ago to try to keep the species going the state introduced Texas Cougars to the populace in the hopes of the two species breeding and the panther not totally being wiped out.

There have been documented attacks by TX cougars.
BUT typically these are creatures that stalk its prey and go for the neck ...
Grown men could easily not survive an attack.
The cat would have gone for the neck and on a 3 YO it would have been fast and almost immediately fatal and the cat would have attempted to drag his catch away.

That all being said ... some variables should be taken into account ... a sick or stressed animal would not always behave within the boundaries of the norm or one that was "domesticated".
I think that most likely we will find that this was someone's "pet" that got loose.

The police are still looking at it as a dog attack.

OK I just asked my hubby who works for the park service and has some inside info on these things..
That being said many years ago to try to keep the species going the state introduced Texas Cougars to the populace in the hopes of the two species breeding and the panther not totally being wiped out.

The cat would have gone for the neck and on a 3 YO it would have been fast and almost immediately fatal and the cat would have attempted to drag his catch away.

That all being said ... some variables should be taken into account ... a sick or stressed animal would not always behave within the boundaries of the norm or one that was "domesticated".
I think that most likely we will find that this was someone's "pet" that got loose.

I agree cats dont maul they go for the neck ! I have two pet cats and when they play they go for the neck, it's in their instinct.

I agree cats dont maul they go for the neck ! I have two pet cats and when they play they go for the neck, it's in their instinct.
I think this was a dog that did this.

I grew up in the country on a farm and have been around animals all my life - dogs, bears, wolves, skunks, cats, plus the domesticated animals we had. An animal doesn't come dashing out of the woods and attack something. It watches for awhile. It stalks it's prey. Even a cat with a captive mouse will watch it for a long time and play with it (bat it around). I don't know what really happened here but the boy was outside for some length of time for this to have occurred.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back