CA CA - Alicia Stokes, 33, Oakland, 25 Nov 2007

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
From http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local&id=5837086

14 Dec 07

Oakland police are searching for a woman who's been missing for almost three weeks.

Alicia Amanda Stokes went out on a Sunday morning and said she'd be right back. That's the last time anyone saw her.

and

Stokes left her Merritt Avenue apartment on November 25. Tonia Stanley spoke with Stokes' brother.

"He said she left Sunday morning and told her brother she would be right back," said neighbor Tonia Stanley.

Two days later, stokes' black Honda Accord showed up on Park Blvd. near Leimert Blvd. by a ravine.

more at link; no pic at link

http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_7724606

14 Dec 07

An intensive search has been launched by Oakland Police for a missing 33-year-old woman last seen on the afternoon of Nov. 25 when she left her Adam's Point home after an argument with a relative.

and

Stokes is 5 foot 3, 120 lbs. and has green eyes and blonde hair.

pic

another pic
mandy2.jpg

Aaron Stokes was taking a shower on that cold November morning when his sister Amanda said she was headed out to run errands.

"I yelled from the shower 'I love you ...' She just tapped on the door and said goodbye," the 28-year-old Oakland man recalled.

Those words, said not long after the two argued so loudly neighbors overheard them, were his last to his older sister.

Amanda "Mandy" Stokes, 33, walked out the door of her Merritt Avenue apartment wearing running pants and carrying her wallet, identification, cell phone and iPod.

She climbed into her 2001 black Honda Accord and drove off from her Adam's Point apartment building.

Where she went or who she saw is a mystery.

Why she never came home Nov. 25 and remains missing seven weeks later is another mystery entirely.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_7966763?source=rss

Aaron Stokes was taking a shower on that cold November morning when his sister Amanda said she was headed out to run errands.

"I yelled from the shower 'I love you ...' She just tapped on the door and said goodbye," the 28-year-old Oakland man recalled.

Those words, said not long after the two argued so loudly neighbors overheard them, were his last to his older sister.

Amanda "Mandy" Stokes, 33, walked out the door of her Merritt Avenue apartment wearing running pants and carrying her wallet, identification, cell phone and iPod.

She climbed into her 2001 black Honda Accord and drove off from her Adam's Point apartment building.

Where she went or who she saw is a mystery.

Why she never came home Nov. 25 and remains missing seven weeks later is another mystery entirely.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_7966763?source=rss

This is an interesting story. She is a very pretty woman, but behind her bright smile there is a lot of depression and other problems. After reading the story I don't know what to think.

After all this time I doubt there will be a good outcome but I hope she is found and find out what is the reason for her disappearance is

Wow. That story seems to leave the case going in a few different directions.

Oh how I kept hoping to read she had been in therapy. *sigh*

National Center for Missing Adults
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200805549S
Name: Alicia Amanda Stokes

Classification: Endangered Missing Adult
Alias / Nickname: Mandy
Date of Birth: 1974-08-19
Date Missing: 2007-11-25
From City/State: Oakland, CA
Missing From (Country): USA
Age at Time of Disappearance: 33
Race: White
Height: 64 inches
Weight: 115 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Hair (Other): Blonde highlights.
Eye Color: Green
Complexion: Light
Identifying Characteristics: Pierced ears, pierced navel, scar on forearm, tattoo on wrist.
Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Alicia, also known as Mandy, was last seen at approximately 10:30am at her residence on Merritt Ave. in Oakland, CA. Her vehicle, a 2001 black Honda Accord was later found in the 5000 block of Park Blvd. Her wallet, ID, and cell phone were found in the vehicle.
Investigative Agency: Oakland Police Department
Phone: (510) 238-3641
Investigative Case #: 07-091660

After watching the "Disappeared" episode tonight, it seems clear (to me) that her brother has some idea of what happened to his sister. I think that Amanda was speaking to her boyfriend in NY from her car parked in the complex and her brother is the one who cut off the call and then drove the car away and/or got Amanda to come back inside. LE said they found "biological evidence" in both the apartment and the car that lead them to believe Amanda was murdered by her brother, but not enough for the DA to allow charges. The evidence in the apartment tells me that she probably did not happen to run into a bad guy after leaving alone. It is a terrible position for Amanda's mother to be in, I don't blame her for not believing her son could do it, but they won't ever have an answer if they don't find a way to get through to him, in my opinion. He says she left on her own and never returned...if that was true, LE should not have found what they found (signs of a clean-up, bio evidence) in the apartment and he should have allowed access to the apartment, which he never did. They had to get a warrant many weeks later....

Yeah, "cluciano63", the show really made it look like the brother killed her. I mean withdrawing all that money after she is missing just make him look guilty. The show mentioned him being addicted to drugs and specifically heroin. Terrible situation.

Her family is in total denial. They just don't have enough evidence to charge him.

I also watched the Disappeared episode last night on Mandy...it seems clear, given the "biological evidence" inside the apartment and her car, that her brother was behind this.

Cases like these are SO frustrating -- they know who (probably) did it, but aspects of the investigation make it difficult to prosecute successfully. I wonder if her brother had any sort of history of violence? Even if he didn't, he could have been capable of doing anything in order to get his next fix.

So sad, and like so many others, we'll probably never know what really happened:furious:

I just saw the Disappeared episode tonight. I live about 25 miles from where Mandy disappeared and had never heard about her case.

Her brother is very suspicious, I agree. There are a couple of confusing points though. Was Mandy attacked in the car when she had that last call with her boyfriend? If so, why is there bio evidence in the apt? Since LE found bio evidence in the apt and the car, seems more likely he would have killed her in the apt and then moved her to her car, parked it on the embankment and tossed her in the ravine. But then why didn't they find her body when they searched the ravine? How did he get her out of the apartment with no one seeing him? In the episode, it looked like they lived upstairs and she was average sized, so it wouldn't have been an easy or quiet transport, imo. How did he get back to the apartment from the car dump site? Does LE suspect there might have been an accomplice? It wasn't mentioned in the episode.

Wish there were more details available...

Just watched this 'Disappeared' episode.....gosh, I wish there was an update on this case.

I just saw the Disappeared show today. It's pretty obvious that there is something seriously 'off' with the brother. I'm not sure he is the one that did it though, I think one of his drug addicted friends may have done something to her.

To me, it *always* speaks volumes when a person close to the case isn't interviewed on Disappeared. TBH It gets my eye going in their direction. This was even before I watched the entire show and heard all the evidence.

I think he did it. Pretty obvious really. He is a hardcore addict. I am sure he knows a thousand places to hide something.

Missing Monday: Alicia Amanda Stokes of Oakland, California

Alicia Amanda Stokes, or Mandy as she preferred to be called, had argued with her brother on the morning of Saturday, November 25, 2007, but according to Aaron Stokes everything was fine when the 33 year-old psychology major left their apartment to run errands.

“I yelled from the shower ‘I love you …’ She just tapped on the door and said goodbye,” the 28-year-old Aaron man recalled.

Two days later, Mandy’s car was found locked and abandoned near a ravine on Park Boulevard. Her purse, containing her wallet, identification, iPod, and cell phone, was found in the vehicle. A check of cell phone records revealed Mandy had been talking with her boyfriend in New York while she would have been driving. Further investigation uncovered the call had been disconnected but investigators are unsure of whether it was because of disrupted service or the phone was turned off. The car’s battery was dead. It had been towed because it was blocking traffic.

More: http://truecrimezine.com/alicia-amanda-stokes-oakland-california-missing/

I have watched the Disappeared show on this case a few times now as there is alot of reruns of the shows on Disappeared and to me It's pretty clear the brother either did it or knows exactly who did.. I really was confused however with how the mother was in complete denile when it's so obvious ..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back