Dad sells son's 90-dollar video game online for more than 9000

Dark Knight

Reaction score
MONTREAL - After catching his 15-year-old smoking pot, a father sold the hard-to-get "Guitar Hero III" video game he bought his son for 90 dollars for Christmas at an online auction, fetching 9,000 dollars.

The sale took place after the father spent two weeks searching for the video game for the Nintendo Wii gameboard.

"So I was so relieved in that I had finally got the Holy Grail of Christmas presents pretty much just in the nick of time. I couldn't wait to spread the jubilance to my son," the father wrote on the eBay website.

"Then, yesterday, I came home from work early and what do I find? My innocent little boy smoking pot in the back yard with two of his delinquent friends."

The man, a school teacher, who kept his identity private, said he sold the coveted video game to punish his son and discourage him from smoking dope.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071216/od_afp/canadainternetdrugchristmasoffbeat
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071216/od_afp/canadainternetdrugchristmasoffbeat

What a great Dad! He is to be commended on his parenting... and I loved the part about the Barbie game! LOL!

Wow! 9 grand?!!.. I should put my kids Wii on E-bay and see how much I can get for it..they won't mind they don't know they are getting it anyway..hehehehe:p

Well, he'll need to save that money to bail his son out of jail if he keeps on the path he's headed.

:laugh:

"I am still considering getting him a game for his Nintendo. Maybe something like Barbie as the Island Princess or Dancing with the Stars ... I know he will just love them," the father said, tongue-in-cheek."

Go Dad!!

Can I ask why a $90 game can sell for $9,000??? Are people really that impatient that they can't wait for the stores to get more in?

Some people have way too much money on hand, or really bad debt on their credit card.

Somebody paid $9000 for that game so they could give it to their kid.....

THAT is what is wrong with our world/youth today. They get whatever they want almost instantaneously with no regard for the price. We are spoiling our kids beyond repair. Some people are willing to spend any amount of money to try to "satisfy" their kids and all they're doing is setting them up for a lifetime of constant disappointments. These kids will have rude awakenings as they enter the real world of working hard to obtain even the basics of life - unless mummy and daddy can carry them on their backs for a lifetime.

THAT is what is wrong with our world/youth today. They get whatever they want almost instantaneously with no regard for the price. We are spoiling our kids beyond repair. Some people are willing to spend any amount of money to try to "satisfy" their kids and all they're doing is setting them up for a lifetime of constant disappointments. These kids will have rude awakenings as they enter the real world of working hard to obtain even the basics of life - unless mummy and daddy can carry them on their backs for a lifetime.

Well said! I agree 100%. My husband and I are both professionals stuck soundly in middle class. We have very little credit card debt, but between our house payment, our car payment, and our student loan payments, we stuggle every month just to make ends meet. Even if we had an extra $9000 to splurge on a gift for the kids, it wouldn't be for a flash-in-the-pan video game. If you really felt the need to spend that much money on a gift for a kid, wouldn't a nice vacation together be more meaningful?

Then again, maybe the person who bought it for $9000 bought it for him/herself, which is also kind of sad. I mean, a video game????

I understand what you are saying with the instant gratification. But when parents shell out this money for their kids, is it really to "satisfy" their kids or is it to "satisfy" themselves? I see all this 'keeping up with the other' in my neighborhood with the younger parents. If one leases a new car then the others will follow. It's unbelievable.

Good for the dad! Kids need to learn there is a price to pay for their actions. Years ago my stepson stole a ring of mine and traded it with another kid, I was not able to get it back. To try and teach him a lesson I took a toy of his he was fond of, I ended up giving it to a young mother who was down on her luck so she was able to give her child a nice Christmas gift.

VB

Who would pay 9k when they are selling on e-bay for $100.00?

Go Dad!!

Can I ask why a $90 game can sell for $9,000??? Are people really that impatient that they can't wait for the stores to get more in?

Some people have way too much money on hand, or really bad debt on their credit card.

Probably a misprint for some kind of conversion of money.

Well, this wouldn't be a news item if it were just a decimal error.

The article did say an Aussie bought it, so maybe there is a monetary conversion involved.

How about it, Aussie friends...what do you think of this ebay purchase? Maybe demand is that high there for these video games, or shipping costs were extremely high! :eek:

"The sale was a boon for the family's bank account, since the game the father purchased for 90 dollars (US) was finally sold to an Australian who plunked down 9,100 dollars for it."

It may have been a bidder who wanted to reward the dad for a creative post & for making a good parenting decision- remember the mom who sold the Pokemon cards on ebay for a crazy amount of money - after her kids snuck them into the shopping cart? It wasn't the value of the item, but the creativity of the auction posting that won the large bid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back