Teens fight for their lives after hair styling tongs explode -UK

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=503267&in_page_id=1770

Four teenage girls suffered serious burns when their hair-styling tongs exploded in a bedroom.
The gas-powered device blew a massive hole through the roof of the house and started a fire which spread to neighbouring properties.
The school friends, who are all in a critical condition, had been dressing for a Christmas party when the explosion occurred. Anya Evans, 15, her sister Kira, 14, and their friends Nadine Fardon, 14, and Kimberly Patterson, 15, ran screaming into the street with their clothes on fire.

and

There are several popular models which are powered by refillable gas canisters.
These provide a portable source of heat for curling or straightening hair. Police and fire crews are sifting through the gutted bedroom for clues to why this particular gadget blew up, but it will be several days before they can interview any of the girls.
(more + pics at link)

Would this be any different than a lighter? Do those blow up?! I don't know, just asking. You can bet we won't have one of those in our home when my dd gets a little older.

Would this be any different than a lighter? Do those blow up?! I don't know, just asking. You can bet we won't have one of those in our home when my dd gets a little older.

They sure do. I had one this summer explode in my car..got a bit warm in there and KABOOM!

It now appears that it was not a curling iron. There were many aerosol cans in the room. Sounds like maybe there was an open flame and something hit it. Hair spray?

Hmm, maybe candles (or cigarettes?) and hair spray? I don't see how that would create as big of an explosion as was reported. Then again, 4 girls getting ready for a party....there could have been quite a build-up of aerosol in that room!

Yeah I had one a portable curling iron that has these canisters of something like butane and you click it and the curling iron heats up....I used it on the go you can buy extra canisters

They sure do. I had one this summer explode in my car..got a bit warm in there and KABOOM!

Oh, now . . . See!

On long trips I always worry about whether my lighter is in the shade or not and my husband thinks I'm being paranoid. Vindication. :woohoo:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back