Taking Christ out of Christmas

Indy Gal

Former Member
Reaction score
Didnt know where to put this please move if in wrong place....

My Granny all growing up used to tell me to never write X-mas as you take Christ out, so when I saw this I thought I would bring it over and see what yall think. IMO PPL are ruining Christmas. No fat santa, no Ho Ho Ho, Beating up Santas, the list goes on. Will there even be a Christmas that we know left for our children??

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/20/roland.martin/index.html

I agree Indy gal. It is very sad indeed. :(
Okay I must have missed something, you changed your name when I was gone....Thanks for keeping same siggy Thats how i knew it was you..LOL

It is sad I am just scared there will be nothing left for my little one. Heck will we even be able to celebrate this holiday in 20 years. :confused:

Because of all the politically correct idiots, we are being encouraged to stop saying "Merry Christmas" for the more palatable "Happy Holidays." What the heck are "Seasons Greetings"? Can someone tell me what season we are greeting folks about?
clapping.gif

Okay I must have missed something, you changed your name when I was gone....Thanks for keeping same siggy Thats how i knew it was you..LOL

It is sad I am just scared there will be nothing left for my little one. Heck will we even be able to celebrate this holiday in 20 years. :confused:
Yes it me. Going through a horrible divorce made me want to puke when I had to sign on as dean*#&$))! so I started over as deanws. It is horrible how a few can ruin it for the masses. I totally understand how you feel. I have a 2 year old granddaughter. I know she she will never experience any of the holidays as I did in my childhood and it is sad.:(

Yes it me. Going through a horrible divorce made me want to puke when I had to sign on as dean*#&$))! so I started over as deanws. It is horrible how a few can ruin it for the masses. I totally understand how you feel. I have a 2 year old granddaughter. I know she she will never experience any of the holidays as I did in my childhood and it is sad.:(
Sorry to hear that ((((DEANWS)))))

Actually, some Christians have realized that Christmas is truly a pagan holiday in disguise and want to leave Christ out of the mess that has become "Christmas". It really is a big ruse...this whole thing about this season being about Christianity's golden child. It was orginally Yule, the time for winter solstice and celebration to usher in the longer days ahead...but again, the "heathens" had to convert.

This church know it's history. See link: http://users.aol.com/libcfl/xmas.htm

On another note..... here is a little history on why it is OK to use "X" instead of "Christ" for Christmas.

X-as-chi was associated with Christ long before X-as-cross could be, since the cross as a Christian symbol developed later. (The Greek letter Chi Χ stood for "Christ" in the ancient Greek acrostic ΙΧΘΥΣ ichthys.)
While some see the spelling of Christmas as Xmas a threat, others see it as a way to honor the martyrs.

Yes, X is for "Chi"--the first letter of Christ's name in Greek and an accepted symbol for Christ for hundreds of years.

What's even more depressing is that all of the people who get so uptight about the use of X (and who are likely therefore Christian) are the ones who got it completely wrong.

What does that say about the modern Christian's knowledge about the history of their own faith?

Geesh! I'm not even a Christian and I know this! What are they teaching y'all in church?!

ETA: I still wish Merry Christmas to everyone I see because it just doesn't hold the same magic when I say anything else. Must be because of memories from my childhood when everyone wished a Merry Christmas! I miss those days.....

I can certainly see both sides of the argument. I'm a Christian, so it's easy for me to be offended by the perceived backlash against Christmas. Needless to say, it's obvious that people do not like change. The change being a more politically correct society, one in which we say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Non-Christians sometimes think we are "shoving [Christmas and Christianity] down [their] throats."

I'd rather see a society where Jewish people wish me a Happy Hanukkah, or where an African wishes me a Happy Kwanzaa, or where an Atheist can just not wish me anything at all, all in addition to people wishing each other a Merry Christmas. I would be honored if any person wished me one of these things.

Political correctness has gotten out of hand. It has given many people the false impression that they should feel offended at every pass. It has done nothing but made this country a bunch of super-sensitive whiners.

Don't get me wrong though, there are certainly things that we need to stand up against such as prejudice, bigotry, and the like, but I think this has gone just a little bit too far.

I actually wish it would separate completely, into Chrismas and Christ Mass, or something like that. I want to share the tree, and the lights, and the presents, and Santa, with all of my friends, Jewish, and Christian and Islamic--it's fun--and it really doesn't have anything to do with religion, like Valentine's Day. And I want the religious part to come to the forefront again, separate from that, with a season where people are greatful, and try to do good deeds, and be kind to others.

For me personally it has nothing to really do with being Catholic, Jewish, etc....I am just tired of the PC ppl runing everything out there including Christmas. I know many ppl who are different religons than I and they are not offened by me saying merry christmas, heck some of my Jewish friends say it as well. It, for me, just has to do with tradition.

Adding on to last post here. I cant consider myself a good Catholic any how, I dont go to church all that much, I never go to midnight mass, but I do believe in God and so forth. But I just never thought saying merry christmas to someone was pushing my faith onto someone else. Am I wrong? By saying this do I offend ppl who are jewish, etc?

Adding on to last post here. I cant consider myself a good Catholic any how, I dont go to church all that much, I never go to midnight mass, but I do believe in God and so forth. But I just never thought saying merry christmas to someone was pushing my faith onto someone else. Am I wrong? By saying this do I offend ppl who are jewish, etc?

The answer to your question is both yes and no. It all depends on who you ask.

I personally think it just so happens the people who are offended are usually the most vocal about it, and are certainly in the minority.

The answer to your question is both yes and no. It all depends on who you ask.

I personally think it just so happens the people who are offended are usually the most vocal about it, and are certainly in the minority.
Okay point taken, next question How do we raise our children with our faith and then try and explain to them why we cant say merry christmas? Not being an *advertiser censored* here just really trying to figure all this out before the bean arrives....I want to see what DK has to say. I hope he comes in here

:clap: :clap:
That is the truth!

hmmmm, is it? I mean, I know that is suppossed to be the intent but I'm just not convinced. For instance, there are alot of "good Christians" along with everyone else, trashing the Spears in a time that is most difficult for them. Though I do not attend church, I'm sure they do teach to not judge others for their "sins".

But it is a nice concept!

Whatever religion you may be, screw the PC and say what makes you feel in the hoilday mood. Most won't mind and will just be happy to be wished at all.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Okay point taken, next question How do we raise our children with our faith and then try and explain to them why we cant say merry christmas? Not being an *advertiser censored* here just really trying to figure all this out before the bean arrives....I want to see what DK has to say. I hope he comes in here

My opinion is you don't tell them they can't say Merry Christmas. I would tell my children to be loud, be proud, and be considerate. It depends on the situation. If you think the phrase may offend someone, then don't blast it in their face.

If you say it and they say it makes them uncomfortable, then apologize and move on, but never deny yourself the joy of spreading Christmas cheer. That's my policy.

hmmmm, is it? I mean, I know that is suppossed to be the intent but I'm just not convinced. For instance, there are alot of "good Christians" along with everyone else, trashing the Spears in a time that is most difficult for them. Though I do not attend church, I'm sure they do teach not to judge others for their "sins".

But it is a nice concept! Merry Christmas to all!
I am not saying all are perfect, although I am trying But yes that is what is taught. Do unto others as you would want done to you. It would be a perfect concept to follow even if you dont believe in religon, IMO

My opinion is you don't tell them they can't say Merry Christmas. I would tell my children to be loud, be proud, and be considerate. It depends on the situation. If you think the phrase may offend someone, then don't blast it in their face.

If you say it and they say it makes them uncomfortable, then apologize and move on, but never deny yourself the joy of spreading Christmas cheer. That's my policy.
That my friend is great advice Thank you so much!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back