GUILTY SD - Paul Lundberg & Lori Schultz charged in death of newborn, Alcester, 2 Feb 2004

Good Luck to the searchers to find this little boy.

Why does this still happen?? if you are going to go all the way through your pregnancy and give birth, why not give your baby up? why not drop them off at a hospital no questions asked or leave him on a doorstep somewhere.

Stuff like this is so senseless and makes me mad - what took the family so long to report it? Grrrr :mad:

In this day and age, with the new laws, there is absolutely no excuse for this type of thing to happen. Any hospital, church, or fire department will take anyone's unwanted newborn, no questions asked.
Why does this keep happening?
fran

I don't know what you think rozzy but I live not too far from this event, yes in South Dakota too! But there must be some reason they are not releasing the woman's name. I wonder if she is mentally handicap or mentally ill? I think a couple similar things have happended in this general 4-state area and they have always released the names of people over 18. I think the last one was that 19 or 20 year old who gave birth in a bathroom of a grocery store and left the baby to drown in the toilet. That was in SW Minnesota but I still find it strange that her name has not been released.

seamless said:
I don't know what you think rozzy but I live not too far from this event, yes in South Dakota too! But there must be some reason they are not releasing the woman's name. I wonder if she is mentally handicap or mentally ill? I think a couple similar things have happended in this general 4-state area and they have always released the names of people over 18. I think the last one was that 19 or 20 year old who gave birth in a bathroom of a grocery store and left the baby to drown in the toilet. That was in SW Minnesota but I still find it strange that her name has not been released.
Well, perhaps because they are unsure of what the charges will be. If they can determine the baby was stillborn, she would be charged with abuse of a corpse, if the baby was born alive, she's got murder charges coming!

seamless said:
http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail9.cfm?Id=22,30628

You know I really hate it when when I have to admit I am wrong. :doh:
But the above news article says the same thing that Mindys pointed out.
Ahhh, you weren't wrong, you just didn't know, plus you are close to the area, when we are emotionally connected its hard to reason objectively sometimes. :blowkiss: .

I really applaud the authorities for trying to find this little angel's remains.

seamless said:

I guess I don't know how someone could do this. I live in South Central SD so its not that close to me, but I can't fathom how someone could be so scared to tell people she is pregnant, but not scared of the consequences of murdering their child. I got pregnant in high school, and I just thank god my parents were so understanding and saw me through it all. They were proud of me when through the pregnancy I was going to give him up for adoption and proud of me when I couldn't do that.

rozzy said:
I guess I don't know how someone could do this. I live in South Central SD so its not that close to me, but I can't fathom how someone could be so scared to tell people she is pregnant, but not scared of the consequences of murdering their child. I got pregnant in high school, and I just thank god my parents were so understanding and saw me through it all. They were proud of me when through the pregnancy I was going to give him up for adoption and proud of me when I couldn't do that.
YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!

I spoke with my sister-in-law tonight she said my brother is part of the search party for the baby at the landfill site. He said it is just unbelievably overwhelming. Way too much to go through. They have to rip open every bag and go through every single piece of trash. They hope to bring in some cadaver dogs in the next couple of days.

I'll post more if I hear anything new.

Saying she was afraid of how her boyfriend would react, a woman admitted Wednesday to throwing away her newborn, whose body was found in a garbage bag at a Nebraska landfill.

Lori Schultz, 21, pleaded guilty in Union County court to second-degree manslaughter, in an agreement with prosecutors. She could receive up to 10 years in prison at sentencing, set for Feb. 28.

Schultz told Judge Steven Jensen that the Air Force discharged her for being pregnant, but she didn't tell her parents or friends why she was kicked out.

The night before Feb. 2, 2004, she was in a lot of pain, didn't sleep well and concluded she was in labor, she said.

She then had the baby and cut the cord.

"I got scared and I put him on the bathroom rug and put towels around him. I saw that he was a boy. I didn't know what Paul would do and I panicked so I wrapped him (the baby) in towels and put him in garbage bags."

Schultz said she put the bundle in a trash can, saw the baby move and wanted to bring him inside but was afraid of Lundberg's response.

She said when Lundberg came in and asked where all the blood had come from, told him she was menstruating.

When he went to the store for her, she wheeled the garbage can to the end of the driveway, Schultz said.

Then she heard the baby whimper.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1472014

People who do things like this have to have mental health problems. How horrible.

since when can the Air Force kick you out for being pregnant??
My sister is in the air force and has had 2 kids.
She actually heard the baby wimpering and still didn't pick him up.
I hope she gets the longest jail sentence possible.

I may be all wrong, but in a case such as this part of this woman's sentence should be voluntary sterilization. TO me she gave up any right to be a mother after doing this heartless selfish act. At this very time in my personal life, I have a six week old grandaughter that is the most precious thing on earth, of course, and I have a neice who is in preterm labor and still has nine weeks to go and we are doing everything for her to keep that baby growing inside her, her sister has just went through her third round of fertitility treatments and we are hoping that she is pregnant. So for this woman to do this when there are so many options because she was "afraid" of her boyfriends reaction is the most appaling disregard for life.
She should never be able to have life inside her again.

From December 2006:

http://journalstar.com/news/state-a...cle_001e09de-afd8-503e-9b94-f8ef126e6f92.html

A jury on Saturday convicted Paul Lundberg, 27, of one count of being an accessory to a felony in the case of a newborn baby whose body was dumped in the garbage...

Lundberg was the infant’s father. Prosecutors had said Lundberg lied when he told people he didn’t know Schultz was pregnant and gave birth to a son at their Alcester home. The mother, Lori Schultz, 22, had testified that Lundberg had to have known she was pregnant even though they never discussed it.

Schultz, of Alcester, is serving a 10-year prison term for second-degree manslaughter for putting the baby in the trash in 2004.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back