Girl, 4, hangs herself: TV Cartoon to blame?

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Girl, 4, hangs herself with hairband 'as she copies TV cartoon'

A couple who found their daughter hanging by her hairband in a freak accident believe she was trying to copy a stunt from her favourite cartoon series.

Phil Brown and Lorraine Ford, 26, tried desperately to save four-year-old Paige when they discovered her in her bedroom but were unable to revive her.

Paige had recently watched a scene in which a character was swinging around with what looked like a rope attached to his neck.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=505824&in_page_id=1770

Tragedy. i wouldn't necessarily see the cartoon as giving her impetus to do this. i think it was a dreadful accident."hairband became caught on a hammock where she kept her cuddly toys".

Girl, 4, hangs herself with hairband 'as she copies TV cartoon'

A couple who found their daughter hanging by her hairband in a freak accident believe she was trying to copy a stunt from her favourite cartoon series.

Phil Brown and Lorraine Ford, 26, tried desperately to save four-year-old Paige when they discovered her in her bedroom but were unable to revive her.

Paige had recently watched a scene in which a character was swinging around with what looked like a rope attached to his neck.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=505824&in_page_id=1770

Tragedy. i wouldn't necessarily see the cartoon as giving her impetus to do this. i think it was a dreadful accident."hairband became caught on a hammock where she kept her cuddly toys".

What a doll! I don't really see the cartoon being the cause here. Sounds like a freak accident. Poor baby.

How terrible! I feel just awful for the family. I just don't understand why they are blaming the cartoon, how would they know she was trying to imitate the cartoon- if she was alone in her room?

I think they are just trying to find somehting to blame. What a beautiful child... I am sure this was a horrible loss. If she was in her room alone, I would say there was no way the could guess what this little three year old was thinking... you know?

I can believe that a child might try to do something like that. I sprinkled glitter on myself and jumped off a chair to see if I could fly like Peter Pan when I was about that age. I also know of kids who years ago put on Superman capes and jumped off high things and breaking some bones.

I think this sounds more like an accident than anything. I feel terrible for her family, this is just so sad.

Oh what an awful awful thing to happen to that poor baby. How sad.

My son is 4 and loves Dora & Diego. That being said why would the grandmother repeatedly tell the child not to imitate what Diego does? Not that I place any blame with her, but I doubt the child would have thought to attempt this on her own. I think it was an accident like not the child imitating a cartoon. I have seen it a million times and never even noticed the strap around the back of his neck. The whole thing sounds like a lawsuit in the making.

My son is 4 and loves Dora & Diego. That being said why would the grandmother repeatedly tell the child not to imitate what Diego does? Not that I place any blame with her, but I doubt the child would have thought to attempt this on her own. I think it was an accident like not the child imitating a cartoon. I have seen it a million times and never even noticed the strap around the back of his neck. The whole thing sounds like a lawsuit in the making.

I don't thinks so. this happened in Britain where the sue culture isn't as prevalent as in the States. but i may well be wrong.

What a terrible tragic accident! A few years ago, this lady I know walked into her 3 yr old son's bedroom to find him dangling by the neck of his bed bunk bed post. He had a cape on and went to jump and got caught. Fortunately, he was still choking and kicking and was found in time. My thoughts and prayers to this family.

my brother put on a cape when he was little and started to jump thru our living room window like superman....my mom caught him just in time
tv does influence what the kids do .

I can believe that a child might try to do something like that. I sprinkled glitter on myself and jumped off a chair to see if I could fly like Peter Pan when I was about that age. I also know of kids who years ago put on Superman capes and jumped off high things and breaking some bones.

My son tried the super man thing when he was two off of my bed but still landed on his face and broke his front teeth. I agree this was a horrible accident and I feel just terribly for this family.

my cousin did the cape thing also when we were 9 years old. Sadly he didn't make it. His twin brother found him and thought he was playing. My family can't stand the thought of children having bunk beds now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back