FL - Toddler Tortured with Hot Oil and Hair Dryer

I should not have read the article.

I WISH the same could be done to this .
:( :( :(

I don't know how people think up such cruel things. I'm sick thinking about the torture this poor child felt. And please tell me what rationality there is in HURTING a child to get them to stop crying and whining. If this were my grandchild, then this better hope they keep him in jail forever, because if he ever walked out of jail, I'd be there to end his existence on this earth!

The kind of person who has seen and/or been the recipient of a lot of violence in his life and who has grown into an adult unable to appropriately handle the stressors of raising a child.

My love and prayers for this family.

The burning with oil stories are, for me, some of the worse. I always recall that woman last year who poured a pan full of hot cooking oil over her sleeping husband's head. Burn pains are supposed to be the very worst.

I agree with everyone's posts. Something that popped into my head is how in the world is THAT supposed to stop the child from whining and crying? Does the big, bad man feel better now after he "gave him something to cry about"? Grrrr.... I wish all these creeps would get done to them exactly what they do to these poor kids.

In most cases, they already have.

You know what? You're right...or they've had something equally as awful done to them. Doesn't work as an excuse for me though. If that rule of thumb applied; that if you had a crappy childhoold or horrible childhood experiences then you too will be a horrible person, then I should be a serial killer or something. You are what you make of yourself and who you choose to be. If it was wrong when someone did it to you, it's wrong to do it to someone else.

:clap:
You know what? You're right...or they've had something equally as awful done to them. Doesn't work as an excuse for me though. If that rule of thumb applied; that if you had a crappy childhoold or horrible childhood experiences then you too will be a horrible person, then I should be a serial killer or something. You are what you make of yourself and who you choose to be. If it was wrong when someone did it to you, it's wrong to do it to someone else.

SCM, I wish I could be as open minded and forgiving as you. I just can't though. I really don't care what their previous circumstances were. If they thought they had it in them to do upon others what was done to them, they shouldn't have put themselves in that position.

One of my very good friends was horribly abused, mentally, physically and emotionally by her father, step mother and grandfather. She is so good with my son but she has told me she never wants to be alone with him and she will never have children herself for fear she could become like her father. I don't see it and don't think she has it in her but that's how she feels.

I agree with both sides on the horrible childhood thing. I just think some people can overcome what they have had to endure and some can't and become involved in drugs and alcohol. It is a vicious cycle. As for this poor baby, I am glad he was saved and hope he heals and is given to a nice family because obviously his mother doesn't care who she leaves him with. I don't know how many more times we will hear about the mother's BOYFRIEND. When will these women learn, don't leave your babies with men you just met.

I agree with everyone's posts. Something that popped into my head is how in the world is THAT supposed to stop the child from whining and crying? Does the big, bad man feel better now after he "gave him something to cry about"? Grrrr.... I wish all these creeps would get done to them exactly what they do to these poor kids.

I agree!
That line "I'll give you something to cry about" is the stupidest statement --and one I used to hear as a child. I hate it!!!
If a kid is crying, obviously something is paining him (or her), and he cannot explain it because he doesn't have the speaking ability or vocabulary to say what. Since when does hitting and causing yet more pain, solve this? It's IDIOTIC!!!!

I can't even imagine that pain. Mr. Texana pulled a pan of hot cooking oil on his arm as a child, and almost died. How tragic, but perhaps this child will get a better home and break the cycle.

Again the mother should be charged. She should not be leaving the child with her boyfriend. Chances are too there has been a history of aggression with the boy, mom probably turned a blind eye to it.

I can't comprehend doing something like this to a child. :furious:

On another note. I went to school with a girl that had burn scars on her legs and arms. She was adopted as a baby, but prior to that her birthmother put her in a skillet of hot oil. :( She was such a sweet girl. Thank God she was a baby when it happened and had no memory of it. Just the horrible scars left behind. From what I remember her parents were super people. I'm so glad she found a loving home with them.

Again the mother should be charged. She should not be leaving the child with her boyfriend. Chances are too there has been a history of aggression with the boy, mom probably turned a blind eye to it.

"The mother of the child, Marlita S. Stokes, 23, was arrested on Friday and faces charges of child neglect and providing false information to police." Mom is being charged and it seems clear she tried to cover for the monster who burned her baby. 17 mos is old enough to retain the PTS of this incident forever-they can send him to me an I will show him that love doesnt hurt...OMG...can we get back to making child abuse a federal crime like carjacking?

ITA with you.
I suffered at the hands of an abusive step-father, my mother stood by and did nothing. It's true you are who you choose to be. I was smart enough to get counseling that helped me understand that the things my step-father did to me was through no fault of my own. I have children of my own & no they were never abused, nor would I have stood by and allowed someone to abuse them. Was my step-father abused as a child? I don't know & don't care. IMO, there is no excuse for a child to abused or tortured. Bless this child.

I don't know that there would ever come a time in a person's life that I would not care if that person had been abused.

If this 17-month-old boy survives and grows up and has a child of his own and abuses that child physically, it will still always matter to me that when he was 17-months old, his Dad poured hot oil on him and burned his skin off.

I don't have any sort of super-charged ability to forgive or any type of extra-terrestial compassion.

What I do have is an ability to feel two things at the same time about one human being - I can feel tremendous sadness and compassion for this grown man who harmed his child so brutally and I can feel anger that he lost control and chose violence as a way to deal with his child. Those two feelings aren't mutually exclusive.

What I don't chose to feel is a desire for that violence to come back to him again (though I'm fairly certain that it will in the prison system as we know it today) because that's how we keep the chain of pain going.

I don't want people of any age to be abused and violated. Ever. For any reason. That doesn't mean I excuse anyone's bad behavior. It simply means that I don't want people of any age to be abused and violated. Ever. For any reason.

I should not have read the article.

I WISH the same could be done to this .
:( :( :(

I think I am going to take your word for it, TM... the thread title alone made me go "are you s***ting me?!?" out loud. :(

In most cases, they already have.

SCM you are always so compassionate and I really admire that in you. I agree with you most of the time, as well. I just never seem to be able to really feel that way deep down inside, too. A lot of posters here on WS have been abused in some or more way(s), myself included. But I never grew up to do this to someone else, let alone a child. And I consider myself an emotional weakling. So if an emotional weakling can manage not to grow up hurting others too, then it kind of makes me think everyone can. KWIM? I read what you say and I agree... and at the same time I just can't get past the thought that IMO everyone is in charge of and responsible for their own actions and this guy, and many others (m/f) could have chosen to not hurt someone else. I never really knew what was 'normal', either. Am I making sense? LOL

SCM you are always so compassionate and I really admire that in you. I agree with you most of the time, as well. I just never seem to be able to really feel that way deep down inside, too. A lot of posters here on WS have been abused in some or more way(s), myself included. But I never grew up to do this to someone else, let alone a child. And I consider myself an emotional weakling. So if an emotional weakling can manage not to grow up hurting others too, then it kind of makes me think everyone can. KWIM? I read what you say and I agree... and at the same time I just can't get past the thought that IMO everyone is in charge of and responsible for their own actions and this guy, and many others (m/f) could have chosen to not hurt someone else. I never really knew what was 'normal', either. Am I making sense? LOL

You make absolute sense, ((((JanetElaine)))), and I am so sad to hear of any hurt or harm that happened to you in your life.

I agree with you and others that individuals are responsible for their individual choices. I agree with you and others that most people who suffer abuse do not grow up to be abusers. I do not think that if you abuse someone your behavior is somehow excused because you were abused.

I believe that people who hurt and abuse other people should pay the price via the laws and institutions we have here.

I believe all these things but still have compassion in my heart for people so damaged that they make damaging choices. I don't think we will ever fix or help such people by hating them more and wishing more abuse to come into their lives. JMHO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back