Missing 8 mth pregnant Marine Maria Frances Lauterbach- NC #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeekingJana

Reaction score
From Fox news:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321188,00.html

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — A pregnant Marine based at Camp Lejeune has been missing since before Christmas, and the Onslow County Sheriff's Department is investigating her disappearance.
Authorities say 20-year-old Maria Frances Lauterbach was reported missing Dec. 19 by her mother, who was the last person to speak with her, on Dec. 13. Her cell phone was found Dec. 20 near the main gate at Camp Lejeune.
She is with the 2nd Marine Logistics Group and is about eight months pregnant.

More at link.

Doesn't look good. I hope she's just hiding out somewhere.

I HOPE she is too. but..
Unless she wants to give birth at home, chances are, she's going public, as in taking a ride to the hospital, as soon as labor hits. I don't know.. why would an 8 mth pregnant woman be in active duty in the service anyway?
If she didn't like being where she was, couldn't she request a discharge due to her pregnancy or a transfer to another base?

IF there hadn't been like 6 pregnant women already killed in the state of NC whose murders are unsolved, I might not have paid that much attention to this case. But the darn statistics of maternal/ fetal homicide in NC alone are staggering!!!

Many females in the military become pregnant just like you and me. It's just their job so there is no reason why they can't be or get pregnant. As far as being dishcharged for being pregnant that all has to do with her family care plan meaning if she has suitable daycare for the child. If she does not then yes they will put her out. Being transfered to another base won't happen just because of a baby unless it is her time to be transfered in the first place. Now alot of them are getting preg. to avoid Iraq duty... I won't even say what I think about that because that will bring this to a whole other topic lol.. Anyway prayers to her and her baby I hope they are found soon and safe.

I HOPE she is too. but..
Unless she wants to give birth at home, chances are, she's going public, as in taking a ride to the hospital, as soon as labor hits. I don't know.. why would an 8 mth pregnant woman be in active duty in the service anyway?
If she didn't like being where she was, couldn't she request a discharge due to her pregnancy or a transfer to another base?

IF there hadn't been like 6 pregnant women already killed in the state of NC whose murders are unsolved, I might not have paid that much attention to this case. But the darn statistics of maternal/ fetal homicide in NC alone are staggering!!!

Thanks for telling me. I've never known much about the military for women.
I do think that she's very close to her due date and if she doesn't show up at a hospital within the expected time frame, then it's pretty clear that something bad has happened to her.

First thing is they need to find the father of the child......maybe she wanted it and he didn't ???? also, was he in the military? or could it have been an affair? she was very pretty from the picture on fox.....

Hi everyone,

I live in Jacksonville, which is where Maria is missing from. There was a story on the local news this morning, but this is the first I've heard about it so far and I watch the news everyday. I'm a little surprised that it hasn't been covered locally until now; especially since she's been missing for 3 weeks.

One interesting bit of information in the local news is that they found her cell phone by the main gate at Camp Lejeune and that she was a "a witness to an incident on base and was supposed to testify in the matter". (jdnews.com)

She lived in a boarding house and the SD has already searched it.

Just thought I would check in as the local on this one. Hope everyone is having a good day!

Thanks, Jadenn, for the local info. I wonder what she witnessed? I hope someone didn't kill her to keep her from testifying. :(

The other thing that bothers me is that she was pregnant, and when a pregnant woman is killed I automatically think "father of the baby". Unless what she witnessed was so horrible, I'd like to think (rose colored glasses here) that another human couldn't really kill a pregnant woman over crime testimony. I'm sure it's been done though.

I grew up near Camp Lejeune (in Swansboro). I hope they find her OK and alive. She's very beautiful. Maybe she was threatened and jumped on a bus.

Maybe she just ran off because she was afraid.

I hope she's ok too!

Cute girl, hope she's found alive a well....

:twocents:

A troubling story. I hope she is found safe and sound, too.

Anytime you have a witness go missing before giving testimony...it is serious. Couple that with her being pregnant and it becomes dire. I hope the military is pulling out all the stops to find her!

I was born in Camp Lejeune and spent most of my childhood in Jacksonville before we moved to Costa Rica. I can remember how woodsy it was, and I was just thinking how easy it would be to conceal a body in those woods. I am praying that this isn't the case, that she will be found alive and well. It's just that learning that she is pregnant , the identity of the father is unknown ,and that she was going to testify as a witness of a crime committed on base has given me a very uneasy feeling.:(

Jadenn, thanks so much for giving us the local information.

Nice to see someone from J'Ville here !

I HOPE she is too. but..

snip>
Investigators are calling her disappearance suspicious, saying her mother reported that Lauterbach was going to testify about an incident she witnessed on base.
"There are several findings and pieces of evidence that have been discovered that cause law enforcement to be concerned with the circumstances surrounding Maria's disappearance."

Greta and NG reported on this tonight. The Marines should be aware of something, they pitched Maria's cell phone by the gates of the base where she worked.

I wonder what the seriousness of what she witnessed was and who she witnessed.. never a good thing to go missing before having to testify; especially while pregnant.

I am local also. I work on the Camp Lejeune Base. I was curious because this is the first I have heard about this. It certainly has been kept quiet. I saw her car on the news and it looked like it had spray paint all over it, anybody know if that happened before or after she disappeared? There is not much vandalism around these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni