Prisoners 'to be chipped like dogs'

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
First they came for the prisoners . . .

But, instead of being contained in bracelets worn around the ankle, the tiny chips would be surgically inserted under the skin of offenders in the community, to help enforce home curfews. The radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, as long as two grains of rice, are able to carry scanable personal information about individuals, including their identities, address and offending record.
The tags, labelled "spychips" by privacy campaigners, are already used around the world to keep track of dogs, cats, cattle and airport luggage, but there is no record of the technology being used to monitor offenders in the community. The chips are also being considered as a method of helping to keep order within prisons.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article3333852.ece

Sure, prisoners give up rights. but once they use this technology for prisoners, what is to stop them from using it for ordinary citizens? civil rights activists will protect citizens, you say?

who's next?

But, instead of being contained in bracelets worn around the ankle, the tiny chips would be surgically inserted under the skin of offenders in the community, to help enforce home curfews. The radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, as long as two grains of rice, are able to carry scanable personal information about individuals, including their identities, address and offending record.
The tags, labelled "spychips" by privacy campaigners, are already used around the world to keep track of dogs, cats, cattle and airport luggage, but there is no record of the technology being used to monitor offenders in the community. The chips are also being considered as a method of helping to keep order within prisons.

Sure, prisoners give up rights. but once they use this technology for prisoners, what is to stop them from using it for ordinary citizens? civil rights activists will protect citizens, you say?

who's next?

That's interesting, Floh. I know some people would probably like to have these in their kids for safety reasons, but the whole thing makes me want to move to the moon! I don't ever want anyone to be chipped - like you, I think: who's next?

It's kind of like the DNA issue. Similar for me at least.

who's next?

Us :furious:

Hmmm, plus some prisoners might simply carve the chips out of their skin making the whole program unreliable anyway.

Lion

I've said it before and i'll say it again: one day we may be forced to be chipped to be allowed to board an aircraft.

i understand people who believe placing a chip in their child would add to security should the child be kidnapped, but i say there are devices to find where chips are placed and if they are used in the case of a kidnapping then what? would the kidnapper gouge out a chip to stop the child being tracked? cut off the child's arm or leg?

and chips can be cloned. i understand the chip in my new passport could be read by someone sitting next to me with a device (as i was sitting on public transport to and from a terminal shuttle, perhaps), and then all the information can be copied. and used.

The whole idea of chips seems uncomfortably close to the tatoos which were used on concentration camp victims during WWII- they were guilty of nothing, but were required to be immediately identifiable as Jews, Gypsys, homosexuals, etc. Until our (US) citizens demand to be chipped for our own security, I can't believe this will ever happen. UGH!

I think so Morag - re: it sounds like the tattooing of concentration camp victims, ect.

The whole idea of chips seems uncomfortably close to the tatoos which were used on concentration camp victims during WWII- they were guilty of nothing, but were required to be immediately identifiable as Jews, Gypsys, homosexuals, etc. Until our (US) citizens demand to be chipped for our own security, I can't believe this will ever happen. UGH!

This whole idea worries me. These criminals are still human beings. Mostly prisons are made up of drug users. Some (few) may actually be innocent. It seems child molesters serve very little time if any. Once the gov't is able to chip prisoners, who is next? They will not stop with just prisoners.

This whole idea worries me. These criminals are still human beings. Mostly prisons are made up of drug users. Some (few) may actually be innocent. It seems child molesters serve very little time if any. Once the gov't is able to chip prisoners, who is next? They will not stop with just prisoners.

My Mom always says this type of stuff is coming and we will all have it as the mark of the beast. She's a real Revelations junkie! I don't see it happening in my lifetime, but surely this is the way it starts.

I'm opposed to this, for the same reasons scm and others listed. That would be just the beginning...

I'm surprised to read that this didn't start in Cali. Seems they are the first
to start these weird infringing trends in the USA.

And why exactly would the government want to move beyond prisoners? And why would we, or the courts, even let them move beyond prisoners. It's pretty cut and dried if you say only sex offenders are to be chipped, for example. There is justification for that. There is no justification for the average person. And where could you even keep a database of the locations of 300 million people even if they wanted to, which, again, they have shown no reason to want to do such a thing. They can find us now just fine if that is ever their intention.

Furthermore, comparing the United State government to Nazi Germany is far fetched, at best, and an insult, at worst. Let's get a grip, here.

This "the sky is falling" mentality won't help anyone. It just makes the situation worse. There's no point in even worrying about it until there is any real indication.

And why exactly would the government want to move beyond prisoners? And why would we, or the courts, even let them move beyond prisoners. It's pretty cut and dried if you say only sex offenders are to be chipped, for example. There is justification for that. There is no justification for the average person. And where could you even keep a database of the locations of 300 million people even if they wanted to, which, again, they have shown no reason to want to do such a thing. They can find us now just fine if that is ever their intention.

Furthermore, comparing the United State government to Nazi Germany is far fetched, at best, and an insult, at worst. Let's get a grip, here.

Much like there is no justification for the Real ID's ?
Which are meant to have security features to be unique to each person.
I don't have a problem with prisoners being "tagged"
I don't really see it leading to the rest o the population being tagged...

It really does not matter because the technology exists and all Homeland security has to say is its a means to protect us from terrorists (proven or not) and people will happily sign away their rights.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back