Cloned Animals Are Safe to Eat, FDA Says

Sally

Former Member
Reaction score
"Meat and milk from cattle, swine and goat clones are as safe as food we eat every day," said Dr. Stephen Sundloff, FDA's food safety chief.

But the government has asked animal cloning companies to continue a voluntary moratorium on sales for a little longer - not for safety reasons, but marketing ones.

USDA Undersecretary Bruce Knight called it a transition period for "allowing the marketplace to adjust." He wouldn't say how long the moratorium should continue.

http://body.aol.com/news/health/art...are-safe-to-eat-fda-says/20080116102309990001

Is there a reason that this would even be necessary?

A cloned animal has no soul. Therefore eating one is a sin.

Ok, I just had to say that to sound ridiculous! I really don't see a problem in eating cloned meat, drinking cloned milk, whatever. The animals will still be raised the same way. Now if there was a strange genetic mutation that occured from cloning that could be passed on to humans, that would be different. Though i'd like to get super human strength from eating cloned meat, I don't want to get some cheesy powers like glowing in the dark...

It won't bother me to eat cloned meat or drink cloned milk....or wear cloned wool...or the like.

What it means to me is that they can now take the finest cattle, clone them, and then raise the bar on our beef's quality. The larger and better fed the cattle...the less cattle are needed on the earth to be adding to the problem of Global Warming with the methane gasses.

If people get hungry enough they will eat anything. Our kids are being exposed to lead toys, and I so know I ate some poison toothapste along the way. Why not have a cloned steak? Will they feed the cloned livestock hormones?

I file this under the "fear of the unknown" category.

People are afraid of what they don't understand. I have to admit I'm a little concerned. What if eating a cloned animal turns us into zombies? I don't want to be a zombie!

I didn't read the story yet. I remember there was some controversy about whether they would be labeled as such. I think they are allowed not to be labeled.

I feel everyone should be aware. including in the genetically engineered food, so they can make a personal choice about it.

I'm guessing that until years of actually eating them and solid research the declaration they are the same is simply an optimistic opinion.

What is wierd to me is that they will actually use the clones offspring for meat. If not the clone - why the offspring? And they can't say yet the the second generation cloned meat is the same until tests are done.

When they clone the next batch, can they make it so that chocolate milk comes out instead? Or pralines and cream ice cream?

Seriously, I don't understand why there are so many cloned animals out there to be sold (for whatever product). Are we really cloning that many?! That's kind of scary to me. Why not do it the old fashioned way?

I do think any cloned meat or product should be labeled to indicate that. I don't so much about outerwear as I would about something I'm ingesting.

I also don't understand how the meat would be cheaper since I would think cloning is not cheap. Unless they have it down to a science. lol

I am more concerned about ingesting genetically modified food.

I do think any cloned meat or product should be labeled to indicate that. I don't so much about outerwear as I would about something I'm ingesting.

I also don't understand how the meat would be cheaper since I would think cloning is not cheap. Unless they have it down to a science. lol

I am more concerned about ingesting genetically modified food .

Me too, mostly about labeling.

DEER MEAT
A man kills a deer and takes it home to cook for dinner.

Both he and his wife decide that they won’t tell the kids what kind of meat it is, but will give them a clue and let them guess.

The kids were eager to know what the meat was on their plates, so they begged their dad for the clue.

Well, he said, ‘It’s what mommy calls me sometimes’.
The little girl screams to her brother:

‘Don’t eat it, it’s an a##hole.. :D

:laugh: :laugh:
DEER MEAT
A man kills a deer and takes it home to cook for dinner.

Both he and his wife decide that they won’t tell the kids what kind of meat it is, but will give them a clue and let them guess.

The kids were eager to know what the meat was on their plates, so they begged their dad for the clue.

Well, he said, ‘It’s what mommy calls me sometimes’.
The little girl screams to her brother:

‘Don’t eat it, it’s an a##hole.. :D

just as an aside, why would we take anything the FDA says about this subject to be gospel? Antibiotics in livestock were safe too, remember? Small doses of thimerisol in inoculations nothing to worry about, right? Irradiated food, no problem! And the long term studies on the consumption of cloned animals resides where may I ask.....

Another good reason that I'm a vegetarian.
I bet this gets alot of controversy!
Cloned animals to eat...creating to kill. Lovely concept...:rolleyes:
I know animals are industrially farmed to become food, not that I think that is right either as I am a true animal lover, but at least it's done naturally. Something about this just seems wrong.

Now we've decided that we are not only the takers, we've graduated to the givers of life.
That is just so scary to me. Too much interference with nature.
What's next?

Even though I'm careful about what my family eats, somethings get by me, espcecially school lunches, but as strict as I am about staying all natural, my 9 year old daughter started her cycle last week and wears a B sized bra...and neither are abnormal at her age with her peers. There are hormones and synthetics in everthing now adays. It's, imo, effecting our youth.
Cloned meats? No way.

Buy certified organic or grown your own, imo

Is the cloned meat labled cloned, do we know?

Another good reason that I'm a vegetarian.

The vegetables that you and I are eating now are genetically engineered.

Now we've decided that we are not only the takers, we've graduated to the givers of life.
That is just so scary to me. Too much interference with nature.
What's next?

What do you mean? We've been breeding and artificially inseminating animals for ages now. We've already been graduated to givers of life for quite a while.

The vegetables that you and I are eating now are genetically engineered.

What do you mean? We've been breeding and artificially inseminating animals for ages now. We've already been graduated to givers of life for quite a while.

Oh no, not my veggies. We grow our own. And we can them too. My granny taught me how to at a young age. Every good country girl knows how to grow her own food and can it. If by chance I would need to buy some, I either buy certified organic or get them at the local farmers market.

Yes, I guess I worded that wrong, I realize we artificially inseminate everything....but this just feels like a whole different kind of giving life. Why? Why is this necessary? If you can artificially inseminate to mass produce to kill, then why do they need to clone?
I think it's wrong. Just my opinion.

The FDA's approval doesn't impress me much either.

Oh no, not my veggies. We grow our own. And we can them too. My granny taught me how to at a young age. Every good country girl knows how to grow her own food and can it. If by chance I would need to buy some, I either buy certified organic or get them at the local farmers market.

Yes, I guess I worded that wrong, I realize we artificially inseminate everything....but this just feels like a whole different kind of giving life. Why? Why is this necessary? If you can artificially inseminate to mass produce to kill, then why do they need to clone?
I think it's wrong. Just my opinion.

The FDA's approval doesn't impress me much either.

Well, my point was not everyone has the same access to growing their own vegetables.

As far as why would they clone? To save money. Clone the biggest, healthiest, tastiest animal and they will make more money. If they clone an animal that is known is to disease free it increases their revenue. It's all about $$$.

Well, my point was not everyone has the same access to growing their own vegetables.

As far as why would they clone? To save money. Clone the biggest, healthiest, tastiest animal and they will make more money. If they clone an animal that is known is to disease free it increases their revenue. It's all about $$$.

Yup, I have read studies of how the University of Minnesota and Wisconsin have been working on breeding cows with no legs. What do they need them for, right? Milk cows and beef cows don't use them because they have no need to walk. Not with factory farming. And who cares about the animal, because it's life is not it's own-it is going to be consumed or worn in the end.

I want to challenge you with this thought, however. Think of how your body operates when it is miserable and stressed-think of a lifetime of those elevated chemicals seeping into the muscle and fat of these animals, or milk. Wonder how hard it is to rid your body of metabolic wastes once the ability to move is taken away? Wonder what the effect of consuming the metabolic wastes and elevated cortisol levels of these poor animals will be? I guess we will see.

When it comes to the cloning of animals and the consumption of them-all we know is that any weakness that might occur from genetic engineering has not revealed itself yet. I can say that confidently because there is a lifetime of history behind any newly released drug or tampered food product that initially was to be as safe as water. I know that human beings want to figure all of this stuff out-it is why we have such evolved brains. But, there is a ripple effect in nature when we insert ourselves. That is an absolute truth. So we will see.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back