Obese woman on couch for 6 years

That is sickening. Poor woman. But how in the heck is it possible that people end up like this??

Wow, that's horrible. You just gave me some extra motivation to get to the gym tonight.

I lived near Stuart when this story first hit the news..
I am sure we had a link here about it..
Its from August 2004.

I said then and I will say now... Its disgusting and although I do hold those who waited on her hand and foot responsible I also think personal responsibility comes into play.

I don't normally watch it but I remember an episode of Nip Tuck where the same thing happened.

The character named Sean (I think) went to her home and had a flat bed truck. They put the sofa and the woman (she was fused to the sofa also) on the truck, covered as much as they could with a tarp and he rode back there with her, holding her hand. They had to surgically remove the sofa. I think she died in that episode also.

How did it goes that far? I mean do you just sit down on the couch one day and decide your never going to get up again?

How did it goes that far? I mean do you just sit down on the couch one day and decide your never going to get up again?

Now if it was me and my computer chair I could see the risk... :blushing: Maybe I need to get off here, lol. :crazy:

I don't normally watch it but I remember an episode of Nip Tuck where the same thing happened.

The character named Sean (I think) went to her home and had a flat bed truck. They put the sofa and the woman (she was fused to the sofa also) on the truck, covered as much as they could with a tarp and he rode back there with her, holding her hand. They had to surgically remove the sofa. I think she died in that episode also.
I saw this episode... it was so sad.

I don't watch Nip & Tuck, but know have heard a lot of folks comment on it. It's a reality show?

There was another lady like this on a TV documentary a few months ago but I forget how much she weighed. They took her to the hospital still attached to the couch and removed her from it. She also died. The shock of the surgery was too much.

In the documentary, they talked about how these people lack the genetic switch that tells them when they are full.

I think it's more like one day they can't get up. This lady was only 4'10" and I would think 480 pounds would be hard to lift up. Your legs would give out.

Yeah, but isn't this like a which came first the chicken or the egg?

Were they that obese when they sat down on the couch and never got up, or did they get that obese while sitting on the couch and never moving? Then comes the problems of eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. What sane person is going to serve you & clean you when you can get up and do it yourself?

That's why I don't understand how it gets that far.

What about using the bathroom?

I think she didn't actually use any bathroom. meaning, she didn't go to a toilet. i think she was probably too far gone for a long time. hard to imagine not being able to get up to use the bathroom, but consider how some handicapped work this. she probably used this kind of method to relieve herself.

She had to have an enabler(s) because she needed someone to bring her food. Who did that???? She probably went to the bathroom right where she sat.

Yeah, but isn't this like a which came first the chicken or the egg?

Were they that obese when they sat down on the couch and never got up, or did they get that obese while sitting on the couch and never moving? Then comes the problems of eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. What sane person is going to serve you & clean you when you can get up and do it yourself?

That's why I don't understand how it gets that far.

I know what you mean. Most of us would never let it get that far for sure. Maybe her overeating got to the point where she had to have help to get off the couch and her partner just refused to help her get up.

She had to have an enabler(s) because she needed someone to bring her food. Who did that???? She probably went to the bathroom right where she sat.

There was a husband or boyfriend mentioned in the article who said he helped her all he could. She went to the bathroom right there according to the news.

The smell was horrible and rescuers had to blast in fresh air. Children were in and out of the filthy house.

I don't watch Nip & Tuck, but know have heard a lot of folks comment on it. It's a reality show?
No, not reality. It's a series following the lives of two Miami plastic surgeons who have since moved to LA this season. Definitely late night cable, R rated.

This is just horrible and I feel sorry for the lady but as Blondie said how do you get to that stage....better still how do your loved ones let you get to that stage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back