CA - Faith Fuelling, 8 days, drowned, Granite Bay, 20 Jan 2008

wildTrose

Reaction score
A first-time mother arrested after the apparent drowning death of her 8-day-old baby may have been under financial strain, according to public records.
http://cbs13.com/local/fueling.financial.strain.2.635486.html

wouldnt it have been cheaper to use condoms? noooo they have a baby then kill it because they cant afford it? geesh I really hate what the world has become!

Hmmmm sounds more like a classic case of postpartum psychosis to me...

Plus the foreclosures were going on in 2006, right? This baby was not even conceived then...54K Tax lien ain't nothin these days...I think this headline is more a case of junior reporting...

Granite Bay, CA - Sometime before six o’clock Sunday morning, Kristina Fuelling, 27, drowned her baby in a bathroom sink. Faith Evelyn Fuelling, born January 12, 2008, was eight days old. Baby Faith was pronounced dead at around 7:20 AM Sunday at Sutter Roseville Medical Center after lifesaving measures were exhausted. Feulling’s husband, whose name is not being released, made the call to 911 at 6:00 AM. His name is not being released as he is not a suspect in his daughter’s death.

Kristina Fuelling has no criminal record and there is no history of police or social service involvement with the family. Her Myspace has jellybeans for a background and no personal pictures at all. Investigators don’t yet have a motive, but say they are “confident” that Fuelling intentionally killed her baby.

~more at link~

http://www.dreamindemon.com/2008/01/21/kristina-fuelling-drowns-baby-loses-faith/

Fuelling's family and friends issued the following statement:

Kristina is known as a loving and caring person and we have only witnessed Kristina showing affection and care towards her baby. Kristina stopped work months ago only to take care of her pregnancy and baby. She has called the doctor numerous times for every little concern since the baby was born. Her life has been completely dedicated to caring for her child. It seems illogical that such a loving mother would harm her baby and we hope officials will find the same to be true. It does not seem real that baby Faith is not alive and with us. Our prayer and support are united for Kristina.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=37587

its amazing how someone can just snap, just like that....

It is, but I truly believe it happens. Just like that recent story where they aunt walked her beloved niece and nephew naked into traffic.

Post partum psychosis, which this could well have been, is well documented, IMHO.

My prayers to this family.

I also think this is a case of postpartum psychosis. Look at the statement family & Friends made, mother phoned doctor over every little concern for Faith. My heart goes out to this family.

God bless that little angel and her family.

Why aren't all new moms screened for postpartum depression? :confused:

God bless that little angel and her family.

Why aren't all new moms screened for postpartum depression? :confused:

I'm fairly certain that they are - that's standard operating procedure. I was screened for it but didn't think I had it, but looking back, I definitely did! By the time I figured that out, I was already coping in tremendously unhealthy ways - for both me and my children.

I'm fairly certain that they are - that's standard operating procedure. I was screened for it but didn't think I had it, but looking back, I definitely did! By the time I figured that out, I was already coping in tremendously unhealthy ways - for both me and my children.
I am sorry to hear that, but since you are aware of it (in hindsight), I assume you are doing better now, thank goodness. How old are your kids?

I sure wish they would have known about postpartum in 1967 & 1969. I'm sure I suffered from it after both pregnancies. I remember feeling very down & really out of it. I chalked it up to not enough sleep and being young and having no family around to help. Heck, when I had my children they didn't have sonograms or ultra sound, just good old x-rays.

I am sorry to hear that, but since you are aware of it (in hindsight), I assume you are doing better now, thank goodness. How old are your kids?

Yes - thank you. It was tough for me because I had never suffered from depression and truly didn't know I was drowning at the time. It did not happen after the birth of my first child, but it did happen after the birth of my second child.

I coped by starting to use drugs again after 7+ years clean and so it led to a full blown relapse with me in treatment a year later - a 1 and 3 year old at home with DH.

I am much better now. My sons are 5 and 7 and they are doing just great and have no conscious memories of that year. I did not physically harm them, but I was checked out the whole time and I did put them in regular danger by driving under the influence.

I don't blame post partum for my relapse, but once I got a chance to look back - it became very obvious to me that it was a precipitating factor. I struggled mightily going from 1-2 children. I was prescribed narcotics for my c-section recovery and they made me feel like I could cope, so I was pretty much off to the races using dope to cope instead of healthier options.

I honestly don't think you can "screen" new Mother's for post-partum and have it be accurate. This is obviously a case of post-partum and although the death is heartbreaking I hope they make GOOD treatment available to the mother.

I honestly don't think you can "screen" new Mother's for post-partum and have it be accurate. This is obviously a case of post-partum and although the death is heartbreaking I hope they make GOOD treatment available to the mother.

Actually I think that there have been some consistent results from studies done that show someone is most likely to have postpartum if their hormone levels don't start to recover or level with in 48 hours of delivery. I had severe PPD after my 2nd (not with my 1st), and even a year later my estrogen levels were miniscule. There is a book by Edward Klaiber called "Hormones and the Mind" that details it out. I was actually treated by Dr. Klaiber for a year and he was fascinating, although lousy with a needle, lol, like most physicians unless they do anesthesia for a living...in any case, there is another study just out that indicates excess copper may contribute as well. Both positions make a great deal of sense to me, btw.

Sorry for the double post, but just a few observations-who bathes a baby that young anyway? You would most likely be doing sponge bathes because of the umbilical cord and even if it had fallen off the baby should have been sponge bathed anyway because of it's size. And repeated phone calls to the dr's about every little thing would have been a red flag for me...she had no confidence or was worrying she was going to hurt her child I think without putting the words to it. JMO.

But my general question is if this is a case of postpartum psychosis, should she be allowed to try for a child again? I know we all howl at the moon when a parent murders their child, and many of us (myself included) demand that the parent be sterilized. How about for this woman? just curious about perspectives...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back