GA After-School Program Will Pay Students To Study

White Rain

Reaction score
8.00/hr! Damn, that sure beats what I made working at my after-school job. It's more than alot of people make now!
I wonder how many kids will take advantage of this?

ATLANTA — Fulton County school officials will pay students to study after school in a new program designed to improve their classroom performance.
The program, called "Learn & Earn," is being offered to 40 students from Creekside High and Bear Creek Middle schools in Fairburn. The program will give students $8 an hour to study after school.
The privately funded program also will offer cash bonuses to students who improve their in-school performance.
School officials say the goal is to determine whether paying students to study will improve their performance.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324825,00.html

Not a bad idea, if the District can afford this. Some students feel they must go work after school to help support their families.

Others, will just go out on the street and into trouble. Others don't have the self-discipline to study and do their homework at home. Grades and self-esteem might go up, if they really study. I think they should combine it with a good exercise program and call it "earn, learn and burn".

At least they can see if such a program is successful.

earn, learn and burn!!! i love it!! funny that we even have to consider PAYING kids to do what kids have done for generations.... study and exercise. LOL
what's next?? should we pay them not to do drugs, smoke, and pay the teenage girls not to get pregnant & boys not to get the girls pregnant?

and.. how do we know the kids are REALLY studying if they get paid?

lastly... shouldn't doing well and having a better chance of getting into college be enough of an incentive??? in a sense.... it sends a bad message that everything is all about money. in another way,, it could teach them some 'real world' skills (since it's kind of like having a job, sort of....)

Thats an amazing idea! I already study like a little bookworm but itd be awesome to get paid for it.

earn, learn and burn!!! i love it!! funny that we even have to consider PAYING kids to do what kids have done for generations.... study and exercise. LOL
what's next?? should we pay them not to do drugs, smoke, and pay the teenage girls not to get pregnant & boys not to get the girls pregnant?

lastly... shouldn't doing well and having a better chance of getting into college be enough of an incentive??? in a sense.... it sends a bad message that everything is all about money. in another way,, it could teach them some 'real world' skills (since it's kind of like having a job, sort of....)
Another good post from you Reb:clap: :clap: :clap:

Not a bad idea, if the District can afford this. Some students feel they must go work after school to help support their families.

Others, will just go out on the street and into trouble. Others don't have the self-discipline to study and do their homework at home. Grades and self-esteem might go up, if they really study. I think they should combine it with a good exercise program and call it "earn, learn and burn".

At least they can see if such a program is successful.

If the district can afford this, then their school taxes are too high.
Just saying.

I'm glad to see this program is privately funded. I don't think tax payers would be too keen on this idea. At least I wouldn't. I think it's a bad idea. If this program takes hold, why would any student study unless they are getting paid to do it? Kids need to learn there are natural consequences for their actions (or inaction) in all walks of life.

Tru dat slice :D

If the district can afford this, then their school taxes are too high.
Just saying.

Well, you could say if they have a fancy football program, or send the band to Europe, that their taxes are too high. Or they pay the football coach too much, etc.

It depends on what your priorities are for spending; and if the school has a high drop-out rate, what the needs are.

<If this program takes hold, why would any student study unless they are getting paid to do it? Kids need to learn there are natural consequences for their actions (or inaction) in all walks of life.>

exactly,, sally. isn't it kind of like they are being bribed.....?? now if the money went straight into something that ONLY could be used for a college fund... then maybe it could be a good idea. then again isn't this what financial aid is for.....?

I'll probably offend some in saying this-but it's only my opinion.
I think this is yet another perfect example of us training our children to only do things to get something in return. I'm all for positive reinforcement-but this is beyond rediculous. I always thought that you go to school and you get good grades and THEN you go out and make good money. My son makes good grades and studies hard because it is expected of him-and there is no other option in this house. You should try your hardest because that in itself is most rewarding.
This is why we cant get our kids to do the simplest things without expecting something in return. (like chores-which plenty of past generations did for free)

I'll probably offend some in saying this-but it's only my opinion.
I think this is yet another perfect example of us training our children to only do things to get something in return. I'm all for positive reinforcement-but this is beyond rediculous. I always thought that you go to school and you get good grades and THEN you go out and make good money. My son makes good grades and studies hard because it is expected of him-and there is no other option in this house. You should try your hardest because that in itself is most rewarding.
This is why we cant get our kids to do the simplest things without expecting something in return. (like chores-which plenty of past generations did for free)

Well said.
I remember my mum saying when I was a kid "study hard bubby and you will go far". She was right. Pleasing her and being proud of myself was enough of a reward for me.

My Dad always told me that he had his job and school was my job. I can't wait to tell him that they're now paying money for my job just like he got paid for his!

Seriously, I don't have a problem with this at all. It's inventive and I will be interested to see how it works.

In all honesty - most of us (consciously or not) do things because we are going to get something in return for our efforts - whether that something is money, a healthier body, friends, peace, etc... Even when I do charitable or "giving" work - one of the reasons I do it is because it makes me feel good and takes me out of my self-centered little head!

There was a similar pilot program this year in NYC, called the "family-focus" Pilot Program. There were different components included: education, health and work. In the education part, if students had an attendance percentage of 95% or higher, the parents would receive a $25 or $50 stipend. Parents could also receive money for attending conferences, signing their child up for a library card, maintaining health insurance for their family, for keeping their family up to date with health screenings, for maintaining fulltime employment and for participating in job trainings, continueing ed, etc. Students and parents can receive money for accumulating a certain number of credits and for graduating.

This program just started in September, so I am curious to see the statistics of how many underpriveleged families took advantage of this program. This was rolled out in NYC's poorest neighborhoods (parts of Harlem, Brooklyn and the Bronx). Their is a low income requirement that makes a family eligible and I believe there is a cap on how much incentive money they can receive.

I am willing to give a program like this a chance and see the results of the test program before I write it off completely.

Another good post from you Reb:clap: :clap: :clap:

Reb rocked that post, Dingo. Man, if they had paid me to study maybe I would have known who won the Civil War in highschool, and where Poland is. Them nuns wouldn't have made me wear a sign saying I was boy crazy either cause I'd have been studying for the loot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back