Every Englishman's home is his castle

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Hiding a needle in a haystack is easy enough.

But Robert Fidler kept something much bigger concealed among the piles of straw down on his farm... a castle.
Over the course of two years, he managed to secretly – and unlawfully – build the imposing mock Tudor structure in one of his fields, shielded behind a 40ft stack of hay bales covered by a huge tarpaulins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=510161&in_page_id=1770

I have a sneaking suspicion i like what Fidler family dun in their field behind their bales of straw and tarpaulin! ;)

they'll make him raze it to the ground.

After building the castle on the site of two grain silos at a cost of £50,000, he and his wife Linda went to extraordinary lengths to keep it secret. That included keeping their son Harry, now seven, away from playschool the day he was supposed to do a painting of his home in class.

Boy, what an undertaking! I hope he doesn't have to tear it down. :(

I really enjoyed reading this one! I don't see the purpose in having him tear the castle down unless it was built improperly and unsafe. That be an insurance issue, anyways. I say fine him something affordable and move on.

They knew they would not get approval from the authorities to build this home. Why do you think that they hid it for 4 years. The area is not zoned for this type of structure and they knew it. They thought they could hide it for 4 years and be off the hook and keep the home. But the intent of the law is plain sight, not hiding a home.

Of course they will have to tear it down, it is an illegal structure.

In our area quite a few years back a man and his wife rebuilt their house in entirety within the existing house. One day they yanked the exterior walls down and presto chango! a new house. The neighbors were astonished, to say the least. No one called zoning to complain and it remains to this day.
A little bit different than a castle, but on the sly, none the less.

I'm having trouble picturing hay piles of that immense castle height and the neighbors not being inquisitive. No gusts of wind blowing some down?

I would be willing to bet that he has to tear it down. They dont play around with planning permission. Plus he built in the green belt, the ultimate no no. A man in my village growing up didnt get planning permission for his garage and the counsel made him tear it down. No one is above the planning laws.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back