GUILTY MI - Lori DeKleine, 43, found strangled in staged suicide, Holland, 10 Jan 2008

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
I did a search using her name but couldn't find anything on this case.

Think of the kids: Lori DeKleine to husband

Holland - A Holland Police Officer will be held over for trial for killing his wife earlier in January.

Ken DeKleine appeared in court this morning for a preliminary examination to determine if enough evidence existed for a trial.

and

Detective Sgt. Gary Miles said on the stand that DeKleine admitted to strangling his wife, Lori, and making the scene appear to be a suicide. Miles said DeKleine's goal was to "spend his life with his children, without her." Miles also said that in the interview, DeKleine first started thinking about killing Lori in January 2007 when she took out a Personal Protection Order against him and formulated his plan in December 2007.

~much more at link~

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=86719

He hid in the attic until the children went to school, then he climbed down and attacked her, according to his statement to police.

Looks like the PPO didn't work...I was in a similar situation once upon a time, but fortunately for me a neighbor saw the person sneak in. Strangling is a very personal approach to killing someone...this is quite a story.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-40/1201331723211990.xml&coll=6

26 Jan 08

Officer Ken DeKleine's plan to kill his estranged wife was as ruthless as it was calculated -- hiding in her attic with rubber gloves and a nylon strap, strangling her despite pleas for mercy, then trying to stage a suicide.

And when it was done, he had the composure to order a chocolate shake at a McDonald's near his north side Holland apartment, testimony showed Friday.

Graphic details about 43-year-old Lori DeKleine's final moments emerged during a probable cause hearing against the veteran officer, particularly from a detective's description of DeKleine's alleged confession.

and

The most explosive moment came as Miles told how DeKleine admitted to entering his wife's garage at 3 a.m. Jan. 10, hiding in the garage attic with a gray nylon climbing strap and police department rubber gloves until his teenage children left for school, then going into the house and putting the strap around his struggling wife's neck.

"She made a statement, 'Think of the kids,'" Miles recounted. "He tells me he made a statement back, 'I am thinking of the kids.'"

Shortly afterward, as DeKleine tightened the strap, Lori DeKleine died on the floor, he said. During the fight -- an altercation Ottawa County Medical Examiner David Start said left numerous bruises and scrapes on her body -- she bit his lip and blood splattered on the strap and her shirt, Miles said.

DeKleine said he dragged her body into the basement laundry room, removed her bloody shirt to dispose of evidence, put a different strap around her neck. He then got a ladder from the garage to stage a suicide, Miles said.

more at link

may need to enter zip code to access story

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-40/1200321917113130.xml&coll=6

14 Jan 08

As family and friends gather today to bury Lori DeKleine -- allegedly killed by her estranged police officer husband -- parishioners at their church struggled to understand.

"We loved them both so much," said Linda Bylsma, a member of Holland Heights Christian Reformed Church. "We are still in shock."

Today's services for Lori DeKleine will come as 13-year Holland police Officer Ken DeKleine is expected to be arraigned on an open charge of murder. He has been in the Ottawa County Jail since his arrest Friday.

Sunday morning worship services at the church focused heavily on the tragedy, as a counselor from Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services spoke to parishioners about their grief.

"A lot of people are trying to cope with this by trying to make sense of it, but, most of the time, there is no logic to this kind of tragic event," said Randy Johnson, Lakeshore services director for Pine Rest.

"We were just focusing on being a (church) family on Sunday," Bylsma said. "It was just a time of sharing."

Ken and Lori DeKleine were in the process of getting a divorce, and he moved out of the home almost a year ago. Lori DeKleine, 43, had a court order requiring her husband to stay a certain distance from the home, although a neighbor said he disobeyed it at least once.

Police were called to the residence, but state criminal records show Ken DeKleine, 44, was never charged with a violation.

Lori DeKleine worked on the church newsletter in the congregation office, and Ken DeKleine remained active in the church, even after the couple's separation.

"We want to be there for Lori's family, but we want to be there for Ken, too," Bylsma said. "And we know, not everyone is going to be ready yet to be there for Ken.

and

The DeKleines' two children, Bre and Christopher, are students at Holland Christian High School.

more at link

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-40/1200208554281170.xml&coll=6

13 Jan 08

To neighbors and fellow officers, Holland police Officer Ken DeKleine was almost perfect -- polite, sociable, a devoted Christian and good at his job.

But to his estranged wife, he had become a threatening presence, a friend and neighbor of Lori DeKleine said.

"I know she was scared of him and didn't want him in the house," said Victoria Paauwe...

and

The news shocked former colleagues, who knew DeKleine as an easygoing cop who could defuse tough situations.

"If somebody would have ever said, 'Is Ken DeKleine even capable of something like that?' I'd have bet him a million dollars, no way," retired Sgt. Mark Bos said. "It's tragic. It's a shame.

"Now, we've got two teen-agers and no parents."

With 33 years in police work, Bos figured little could surprise him.

"I was just drained, unbelievable. This was just a tremendous shock." he said.

Lori DeKleine's body was discovered about 6:50 p.m. Thursday by her teenage son, Christopher, who called 911. Police investigated whether her death might be a suicide, but an autopsy and inconsistencies at the scene pointed at homicide.

Ken DeKleine was arrested late Friday.

and

Relatives of the DeKleines were at the couple's home Saturday afternoon to collect clothes and other items for the children, Breanne and Christopher, both Holland Christian High School students. The DeKleines' home is across from Holland Heights Christian Reformed Church, where Lori worked as publications editor and the couple still attended even while separated.

more at link

Why did this man think that the children would be better off without their mother? He really did them a big favor...no mom or dad now. They are in high school and really need their parents. Now they have to live with the horror of what their dad did to their mother...and it was all for them according to him!

Another cop just like Drew Peterson who police were called to the home numerous times and nothing was done about it because the husbands were cops.

Thanks for posting the link, Filly. I was just going to do it myself when I saw your post. I'm reading the article now.

Remember that readers may need to enter a zip code to access articles at mlive. (Just tryin' to save everyone some frustration. :) )

Hoppy

I agree, Fran. Those poor kids are going to have a lot to deal with, imagine knowing that your dad killed your mum, and told her he was thinking of what was best for you when he did it.... prayers and thoughts to them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back