TN TN - Linda 'Kay' Sanders, 16, Sullivan County, March 1964

Rle7

Reaction score
Linda Kay Sanders
Gone, March 1964​

Charles Sanders’ last tangible link to his sister sits in a brown paper bag, duct-taped shut, and reads "Kay’s Letter."​

Postmarked in Kingsport on May 16, 1964, the letter is addressed to their now-deceased mother. There is no return address.​

"Dear Mom," Kay Sanders wrote, "I am writing to let you know that I am okay." It was two months after her brother says she left home.​

"When things at home change and the family thinks we can get along together, I will come home. [...] When you think that you can simmer down & quit blaming us for all the mistakes you made, I can forgive you & we can be a real mother & daughter."​

Charles Sanders, 61, has a vague memory of the day he came home from the school he attended with Kay and a third sibling, Sharron, and was told that Kay had left home. He has never seen or heard from her.​

Adding a new link.

January 27, 2008

Postmarked in Kingsport on May 16, 1964, the letter is addressed to their now-deceased mother. There is no return address.
"Dear Mom," Kay Sanders wrote, "I am writing to let you know that I am okay." It was two months after her brother says she left home.
"When things at home change and the family thinks we can get along together, I will come home. [...] When you think that you can simmer down & quit blaming us for all the mistakes you made, I can forgive you & we can be a real mother & daughter."
Charles Sanders, 61, has a vague memory of the day he came home from the school he attended with Kay and a third sibling, Sharron, and was told that Kay had left home. He has never seen or heard from her.
"She thought our mother was too hard on us," Charles said, recalling his mother as a disciplinarian of the "spare the rod, spoil the child" stripe.

snipped
Charles Sanders said his mother filed a missing-persons report in Sullivan County in 1964, but authorities there have no record of it.
He and Katie approached Sullivan County authorities again on Sept. 14, and Lt. Joey Strickler agreed to open a case

http://appalachianforums.com/archives/Dickenson_County,_Virginia_Archive.pl/md/read/id/148255

Missing for 50 years this month. Does anyone have more information?

I did find that Kingsport is in Sullivan County, Tennessee so Kay Sanders appears not to have gone too far in the two months she left her home. It does tend to strike me as odd that her mother apparently didn't push authorities to assist in finding and returning her daughter. Contacting them and filing a "missing report" should have only been the start especially after receiving the letter from such close-by or am I missing something? That there is no record of the report after 50 years really doesn't surprise me. Some more information, a photo, etc. would be helpful on this case.

Was she located recently?

I am relatively new here. Perhaps I am too cynical for my own well being. Was this, "Linda was located", message ever verified with authorities? I only ask because the poster only ever posted three times on WS. Not that this means anything. However, no link provided to verify LE's take on this? And I really don't mean to intrude on anyone's privacy at all.....

I am relatively new here. Perhaps I am too cynical for my own well being. Was this, "Linda was located", message ever verified with authorities? I only ask because the poster only ever posted three times on WS. Not that this means anything. However, no link provided to verify LE's take on this? And I really don't mean to intrude on anyone's privacy at all.....
I'm also a bit skeptical about this post. I'm not sure why someone would lie about it, but I'd like some proof of some sort to prove that she has, in fact, been located. I understand the privacy aspect, but I won't stop being curious about a 53 year old mystery just because someone said so. (I hope this didn't sound rude, I'm just genuinely curious about this case, how her life has turned out, how she stayed under the radar for so long, etc.) I do hope she has been located and is safe.

I'm still wondering with your connection to this case. 3 years later

yossarian, that original poster, never responded to the first question in 2014. They only ever posted one more time, in June, 2015.

I don't know what to make of this. My gut says, 'proof needed'. And if she was found, and wants her privacy, I don't see how the catch-22 will be solved. <Sigh>

yossarian, that original poster, never responded to the first question in 2014. They only ever posted one more time, in June, 2015.

I don't know what to make of this. My gut says, 'proof needed'. And if she was found, and wants her privacy, I don't see how the catch-22 will be solved. <Sigh>
I would not for one second take yossarian's word for it that she has been found. For all we know yossarian could be someone involved in her disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back