Scientology Hackers Plan Real-Life Protests At Church Locations

White Rain

Reaction score
Hmmm...While I am not a fan of Scientology I feel it's none of my business and I don't feel like anyone has the right to hack the church's website and make phony calls.

SAN FRANCISCO — Hackers who launched a massive online attack against the Church of Scientology are now turning to real-world protests to draw attention to what they call a "vast moneymaking scheme under the guise of 'religion."'
The loosely organized group of hackers, who meet up and coordinate attacks through Internet Relay Chat channels, have set Feb. 10 for a wave of protests at Scientology locations worldwide.
In anonymous postings on the group's Web site, organizers said they are trying to raise awareness about the threats to free speech posed by the church's lawyers, who, the group claims, aggressively try to silence critics by threatening lawsuits. The church said its lawyers follow standard procedures for protecting copyrighted materials.
The first wave of attacks began earlier this month with hackers bombarding the church's Web site with traffic to cripple its servers. The church appears to have fortified its Web site since then, deploying technology that helps protect against so-called denial-of-service attacks.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327387,00.html

I think the only time I would appreciate hackers is if they were able to help expose child *advertiser censored* rings on the internet.

I view Scientology as an overpriced cult... but then again, I view quite a few religions as cults. I can understand protesting them, but taking criminal actions in the way of hacking is not a way to get a point across... if anything, it will just reinforce the sympathizers... and reinforce the craziness that Tom Cruise and company spews.

Just my opinion...

well, i don't "believe" in scientology but i don't think it is right to do that to them either.

I agree. I don't care what people believe in, they have no right to mess with other peoples belongings. IMO a website is a belonging.

The Church of Scientology has a history of trying to supress any negative information by threatening lawsuits, so I can understand why they're protesting.

Are you kidding me, the tactics used by this cult, past and present FAR outweigh a bit of problems with servers and telephone lines. Please, do a bit of research especially in the tactics used by the cult in Ontario, which was so subversive and illegal, charges were laid. That was some time ago....

You have no idea what "dirty" tactics they used with people that oppose the cult.

It will make your skin crawl..........

You know the old saying: What goes around...........

When the hackers lead to the death of a cult member, then my interest will be peaked. But unlike the cult and their tactics, I very much doubt that computer hackers would contribute to a person death or mental breakdown.

Are you kidding me, the tactics used by this cult, past and present FAR outweigh a bit of problems with servers and telephone lines. Please, do a bit of research especially in the tactics used by the cult in Ontario, which was so subversive and illegal, charges were laid. That was some time ago....

You have no idea what "dirty" tactics they used with people that oppose the cult.

It will make your skin crawl..........

You know the old saying: What goes around...........

When the hackers lead to the death of a cult member, then my interest will be peaked. But unlike the cult and their tactics, I very much doubt that computer hackers would contribute to a person death or mental breakdown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Behar
Richard Behar

Behar was raised on Long Island and is a 1982 graduate of New York University (NYU). Before joining Time in 1989, he was a reporter and associate editor for Forbes magazine for six years. He has also worked at the New York Times as a researcher and writer. Behar reported extensively about organized crime and the business backgrounds of politicians for Time, for whom Behar wrote a widely acclaimed 1993 cover story on the World Trade Center bombing.

In 1991, he wrote "The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power", a Time cover story on Scientology.[1] The acclaimed article won several awards.[2] The Church of Scientology brought several lawsuits over the article, all of which were eventually dismissed.[2] While investigating the story, he experienced some of Scientology's Fair game tactics:
I later learned, a copy of my personal credit report -- with detailed information about my bank accounts, home mortgage, credit-card payments, home address and Social Security number -- had been illegally retrieved from a national credit bureau called Trans Union. The sham company that received it, "Educational Funding Services" of Los Angeles, gave as its address a mail drop a few blocks from Scientology's headquarters. The owner of the mail drop is a private eye named Fred Wolfson, who admits that an Ingram associate retained him to retrieve credit reports on several individuals. Wolfson says he was told that Scientology's attorneys "had judgments against these people and were trying to collect on them." He says now, "These are vicious people. These are vipers." Ingram, through a lawyer, denies any involvement in the scam. ... After that, however, an attorney subpoenaed me, while another falsely suggested that I might own shares in a company I was reporting about that had been taken over by Scientologists (he also threatened to contact the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission). A close friend in Los Angeles received a disturbing telephone call from a Scientology staff member seeking data about me -- an indication that the cult may have illegally obtained my personal phone records. Two detectives contacted me, posing as a friend and a relative of a so-called cult victim, to elicit negative statements from me about Scientology. Some of my conversations with them were taped, transcribed and presented by the church in affidavits to TIME's lawyers as "proof" of my bias against Scientology.[1]

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the hackers can continue on. Based on a number of people destroyed by this cult, I would say turn about is definitely fair play. I love this site:

http://www.xenu.net/

It's full of good information about Scientology. Operation Clambake is the site's name.

It's jam packed with great stuff and some will turn your hair grey. They've ruined a nice town in Florida, Clearwater. Virtually taken it over. Totally ruthless group.

Scientologists have no problem literally ruining people's lives and driving them to suicide if possible, who have opposed or spoken out publicly against them. They are destructive, manipulative, and without moral restraint in their approach to ruining lives in order to protect their organization.

If this was the website of the Klu Klux Klan or the Nazi Party, would you feel so badly that their service was disrupted? Or would you see this, as Malcom X once said, as fighting by "any means necessary?"

Scientology is not an organized religion - it is organized crime disguising itself as a religion. Hack away, boys!

Or would you see this, as Malcom X once said, as fighting by "any means necessary?"
Please, no Malcom X talk, please Taxi Mom. "Do the right thing".

umm. I certainly do have an idea of what they do to people. I just don't think 2 wrongs make a right.

umm. I certainly do have an idea of what they do to people. I just don't think 2 wrongs make a right.
Dig into it OneLostGirl, you would be shocked. They are no more than thugs. Those fighting back are certainly entitled to their actions. Scientology has been trying to either get those opposed blocked from the internet or they try to sue them for daring to oppose them. Much more than "tit for tat". This is a dangerous group who will stop at nothing in order to keep their billions. Whether you are religious or not, this group has nothing to do with any supreme diety, they just believe you are an alien deposited here ages ago, or something like that.

Dig into it OneLostGirl, you would be shocked. They are no more than thugs. Those fighting back are certainly entitled to their actions. Scientology has been trying to either get those opposed blocked from the internet or they try to sue them for daring to oppose them. Much more than "tit for tat". This is a dangerous group who will stop at nothing in order to keep their billions. Whether you are religious or not, this group has nothing to do with any supreme diety, they just believe you are an alien deposited here ages ago, or something like that.

Oh, I have dug into it, I have- trust me!

My brother is a Scientologist. You can do a search on my posts about Scientology.. I don't like them and am not sticking up for them I just think that just because they play dirty doesn't mean everyone else should too.

I really just wish they'd be ignored, perhaps then they would go away and leave people in peace.

I hope that the feds or someone can come into play where the people responsible have to answer to this BS. If it is legal for people to target anyone while advertising it and do this...then our laws are not protecting any of us online.

I just read the Andrew Morton book on tom Cruise and Scientology. It's unbelievable what this cult want to do and has gotten away with. I hope the hackers are successful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back