Brianna Denison 19yo Reno NV #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
SS, I was surprised by your comment that you do not blame women for not reporting rape.

If she has stepped forward sooner, Brianna might not have been attacked.

RENO, Nev. — DNA evidence has now linked two attacks late last year on women near a university campus to the suspected abduction of a third woman on Jan. 20, and authorities said Thursday they're investigating another 2007 case that could be related.

Already linked to a sexual assault in December, police announced that new DNA evidence ties the suspected abduction of Brianna Denison to a third attack in the same neighborhood in November.

They also released a composite sketch of a suspected rapist in a previously unreported attack in the area in October that investigators said is "not inconsistent" with the descriptions in the other three cases near the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327367,00.html (I bolded that!)

I don't think they should have released this sketch unless they had DNA evidence to back it up. With 3 cases linked, the case could go off track by people looking for the guy in the sketch and he might not be the one!! I guess tho if they find him and get his DNA...they will know then...but they are wasting time when a woman's life is at stake, imo. "Not inconsistent" simply isn't GOOD ENOUGH!!

SS, I was surprised by your comment that you do not blame women for not reporting rape.

I feel it has to be up to the woman to decide to press charges against the rapist. Our state just adopted a law which allows a woman to go ahead with the rape kit and file a report with LE, but they give her a period of 60 days to decide to press charges (which also allows her time to get counseling). Other states make it mandatory to press charges if you report a rape...meaning LE takes total control of your very personal situation. So no...I don't lay the blame on women who don't report it. They are trying to cope with their situation and may not be ready to take it full speed ahead at that time. The trauma of going through a rape kit and telling the story repeatedly is a daunting task for any woman who has just been violated in the worst way. The laws need to be changed across the country, imo.

I feel it has to be up to the woman to decide to press charges against the rapist. Our state just adopted a law which allows a woman to go ahead with the rape kit and file a report with LE, but they give her a period of 60 days to decide to press charges (which also allows her time to get counseling). Other states make it mandatory to press charges if you report a rape...meaning LE takes total control of your very personal situation. So no...I don't lay the blame on women who don't report it. They are trying to cope with their situation and may not be ready to take it full speed ahead at that time. The trauma of going through a rape kit and telling the story repeatedly is a daunting task for any woman who has just been violated in the worst way. The laws need to be changed across the country, imo.

I respect that it is a difficult decision. I would think it would be worse to add the trauma of not helping to prevent another women from experiencing the same torture.

I don't discount the fact that it would take tremendous courage.

I think most women with proper counseling would end up pressing charges. So many rapes go unreported entirely because of the laws. You would find more rapists are caught in the long run.

Ok from that link SS posted from Foxnews.....why in the world if LE says he doesn't match the description given in the other attacks that are connected did they release this sketch right now?

I don't feel it is the same guy based on the gun, and if in October he went all the way with that victim, then I wonder why he wouldn't use a gun and go all the way with the next victim? Another part of his mo seems to be taking the victims, not really doing it right there......

I just have a feeling this isn't the same guy, although of course I don't know for sure.

Also according to this old description first release Dec 19th, It is different compared to the new description of the truck.

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071219/NEWS01/712190448/1016/NEWS

Secret Witness is offering $2,000 for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the man who raped a University of Nevada, Reno student Saturday morning on Virginia Street.
The woman was walking in the 1400 block of North Virginia Street about 3 a.m. when she was attacked from behind, choked unconscious, taken to an unknown location and sexually assaulted.
The man's vehicle was described as an older model, dark single-cab truck with cloth seats and a CD deck.

A different description of the suspect in the December attack, released a few days after happening, this is the link to this article............

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2007/12/16/student-kidnapped-sexually-assaulted/

A University of Nevada, Reno student was kidnapped and sexually assaulted after she was attacked on the 1400 block of N. Virginia Street Saturday morning about 3 a.m., university police said in a statement Sunday. The student was attacked from behind, choked until she was unconscious and then taken to an unknown location where she was sexually assaulted.The suspect is described as a heavy-set white male about 30 to 40 years old. He has some facial hair and was wearing a Raider’s t-shirt.The suspect vehicle is a dark, single cab truck with cloth seats and an after-market CD player with blue and red lights. It is described as an older truck. “The victim stated that her keys to her vehicle and residence were taken and that subject may have been prowling in the area days prior to this happening,” according to police.

I had posted that a long time ago, Dimples. It was the reason I pointed out that photo of the Sierra truck on that guy's page. The back end was dark blue, single cab, and older. He also had the new truck.

Very true SS, I think there have been so many different descriptions of the suspect and the truck that I wonder if LE aren't confused on what exactly they are looking for....

I would think though I am not sure that the earlier descriptions given by the victims would be more accurate.

Does anyone else see a resemblence?

renosuspect_1801.jpg

SUSPECT COMPOSITE SKETCH

628_127280715960000000.JPG

ALT, BRYAN L.

COMMUNITY NOTIFICATION: TIER LEVEL 2
Date(s) of Birth: 1971
Physical Description
Sex: M
Race: WHITE
Hair Color: BLOND OR STRAWBERRY
Eye Color: HAZEL
Height: 511
Weight: 145

Residence Address:3825 CAMBRIDGE #322LAS VEGAS, NV 89119
Conviction and Incarceration Information
Conviction Date: 1990-10-01
Conviction Location: LAKE HAVASU
Conviction State: AZ
Statute: NRS179D.450 Conviction Description: CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER

He is listed as "Non-Compliant (per NRS 179D.550)"

I presume this means he has not reported his current address in accordance with Nevada State law...

Honestly...I don't see much of a resemblence...BUT...

Do you remember when that Brian Ladd guy did his drawing?? He said the guy that took Brianna had a funky eye!!!!! weird.

Funky eye...now that would be an unfortunate nickname...

I dabbled in police sketching in a former life...I used a computer program called FACES. Sketching is more "art" than science. I recall an arson case wherein I developed a sketch that my colleagues got a great kick out of because it was somewhat comical looking face, but the eyewitness in the case was pretty comfortable with the sketch as being close-to accurate. When the suspect was finally caught I had the last laugh because it was nearly identical! The guy was actually quite goofy-looking...as goofy as the sketch.

I found it helpful if my witness could describe the suspect as looking like someone else...say someone famous for example..."he had a chin like Jay Leno" or "he looked like Jack Nicholson with a long black ponytail" or something like that...

This sketch doesn't have the hair on the chin like we have been looking for. :confused:

lol, you all are cracking me up this morning.

Spitball22, thanks for the info about how sketches are done.

I don't think they should have released this sketch unless they had DNA evidence to back it up. With 3 cases linked, the case could go off track by people looking for the guy in the sketch and he might not be the one!! I guess tho if they find him and get his DNA...they will know then...but they are wasting time when a woman's life is at stake, imo. "Not inconsistent" simply isn't GOOD ENOUGH!!

I agree and IMO, that sketch will confuse people. The chin is wrong for one thing.

I think that, in this case, the only way this kidnapping would have been prevented is if police reported it to the news media. Oftentimes, it doesn't get "publicized." This rapist hasn't been caught because his DNA is not on file (at least, at this point). So, I'm not so sure that it would have helped Brianna. I think that the publicity is helping others; and I hope that this particular rapist (possible murderer) is caught.

Volunteers are out looking for trucks that possibly match the description - and turning in the information to LE.

"The information collected by hundreds of volunteers and police officers looking for a missing 19-year-old student will be used to create a map locating vehicles similar to one that might have been used in a related crime.
More than 170 volunteers on Thursday waded through empty lots, dug in dumpsters, distributed fliers, answered phones and jotted down license plate numbers of vehicles that match the description of one used in a Dec. 16 abduction and rape of University of Nevada, Reno student. .......

Every extended cab truck and sport utility vehicle with a high clearance is suspect. When Jarrod Brolsma, 27, saw volunteers walking toward his extended-cab truck he said, "I don't look like I'm 5'6," referencing to a description of the suspect."

http://tinyurl.com/2xu8s7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member