TX - 7-Year-Old Student Found Hanging On Coat Hook

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/15076446.html
January 31, 2008)--Austin police questioned students and staff of a charter school Thursday after a boy was found hanging by his collar on a dressing room clothing hook.
The 7-year-old, whose name wasn't released, is hospitalized in critical condition. (more at link) :(

NOTE: THESE ARE TWO DIFFERENT BOYS. I messed up big time when I linked these boy/coat hook articles together. My apologies.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/4428076/detail.html
Boy tried suicide before
NBC 10 sources said the child's previous suicide attempt did not take place at the West Oak Lane school. The source would not give any further details on that alleged attempt, but the boy and his twin brother were recently placed in the custody of their grandparents.

Police sources said that crime scene investigators and detective interviews with the teacher and students in the class at the time the boy was found has virtually ruled out foul play. But it is still unclear if the boy made another suicide attempt or was the victim of an accident. (more plus video at link)

:furious: :furious: :furious: A SECOND ATTEMPT AT SUICIDE AT SEVEN?!?!?! Why wasn't this child under adequate supervision? Was he under the care of a psychiatrist? I am just so angry that he had a first attempt!!!! Obviously, this child was in a desperate situation and taking him out of the home to place him with the grandparents without taking steps to secure his safety is horrendous! The system sure let this child down in every way.

All seven year olds should be under constant supervision at school. jmo

I hope he can be healed. and whatever brought him to this is dealt with.

I hope he can be healed. and whatever brought him to this is dealt with.

Me too, Floh. It is heartbreaking that a child at the tender age of 7 has tried to kill himself, possibly for a second time. This was on our news local news last night, and I could hardly believe it. I noticed that the twin boys were recently put in the care of their grandparents. I wonder what led to that and if it has anything to do with why that young boy was troubled and felt that desperate. This is just soooo ad.

Lion

This is just terrible! If indeed it is a 2nd attempt, I can't imagine the kind of pain and hurt this child must have been in to drive him to this. Very sad and very alarming.

Such a shame. Some people just do not want to live.

Such a shame. Some people just do not want to live.

Oh my friend, this was not just some people-this was a child, a baby. I have a 7 year old...I also knew someone who attempted suicide at 8 (they did not succeed.) The world should not be that desperate to someone at that age that they can only think of one way out of their pain. This is awful...I have to believe this child had some kind of assistance getting onto the coat hook, malicious or otherwise.

Oh my heart...poor sad baby.

Oh my friend, this was not just some people-this was a child, a baby. I have a 7 year old...I also knew someone who attempted suicide at 8 (they did not succeed.) The world should not be that desperate to someone at that age that they can only think of one way out of their pain. This is awful...I have to believe this child had some kind of assistance getting onto the coat hook, malicious or otherwise.

Oh my heart...poor sad baby.

I just think that some people have faulty wiring from birth that gives them the motivation to try to off themselves, child or not.

I read in the article that he was nine, not that it makes that much difference.

I agree it's in the wiring. I can remember being five years old, sitting on my front porch praying that I would die. Depression can be genetic and sometimes circumstances can increase it.

I hope he'll be okay and the adults around him will get a wake-up call and get this child the help he so desperately needs.

I used to want to die all the time when I was younger, but I had a pretty bad childhood. I still do sometimes and its sad. I dont want to kill myself though. My heart breaks for this boy. I wonder what was so bad for him that he could do this

I used to want to die all the time when I was younger, but I had a pretty bad childhood. I still do sometimes and its sad. I dont want to kill myself though. My heart breaks for this boy. I wonder what was so bad for him that he could do this

You're saying that you want to die at times? Are you under a doctor's care?

Those are 2 different cases in the links above : )

Thanks for pointing that out. LE is still not sure what happened and they are being cautious with their statements. IMO, it appears to be a criminal case. From the below link:
http://www.kxan.com/global/story.asp?s=7798673

(snip)
Police have not yet named a suspect.
"We have concerns," said Jeff Hampton with the APD Child Abuse Unit, "not just as far as the criminal investigation, but also concerns with how the school operates, which is not under our domain to dictate what should or should not be done, but the schools should be a safe environment for our children."
Police said they are concerned about this incident, because it happened in school, where several staff and students were around.
Officers have interviewed a student who saw the incident and said they believe this is more than just a medical issue. The department is asking for the public's help with witnesses or additional information.

I didn't have a bad childhood,buthave had periods in my life where things have spiraled so totally out of my control, where i actually believed that certain people who depended on me would be better off if i were gone.

It sounds like they found the child in a bathroom off of a gym locker room. My guess would be homicide is in there since the hook is too high up for a child to hang himself on without using something to stand on to get up there. If they found nothing used around that area, someone put him up there.

:furious: :furious: :furious: A SECOND ATTEMPT AT SUICIDE AT SEVEN?!?!?! Why wasn't this child under adequate supervision? Was he under the care of a psychiatrist? I am just so angry that he had a first attempt!!!! Obviously, this child was in a desperate situation and taking him out of the home to place him with the grandparents without taking steps to secure his safety is horrendous! The system sure let this child down in every way.

DITTO!
Why didn't his parents, aunt, a teacher, somefreakin body, get this child help! omg this is insane.:mad:
The poor thing had a heart attack. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back