Illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows.

More follows at this link: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0201081fat1.html

Government tactics.

coming your way soon? i don't like government interference in people's lives to this extent.

it would certainly cut into MacDonald's profits should the bill pass.

So, would that mean before you pulled up to the intercom to place your order you would have to first stop and hear:

"PLEASE STEP OUT OF THE CAR AND STEP ON THE SCALE"
"PLEASE ENTER YOUR HEIGHT"
"WE ARE SORRY BUT YOU ARE TO FAT TO ORDER HERE, PLEASE LEAVE"

Give me a break!

I think Mississippi has elected an idiot to office. How about not serving people who are stupid (like him to introduce such a silly thing)? Since Mississippi has a high rate of overweight people, I hope he isn't elected again because of his efforts toward discrimination. I had just read this article on it when I saw a thread had been started.

http://womenshealthnews.wordpress.com/2008/02/

This might just be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

This sounds unconstitutional. I expect this to be shot down.

I think Mississippi has elected an idiot to office. How about not serving people who are stupid (like him to introduce such a silly thing)? Since Mississippi has a high rate of overweight people, I hope he isn't elected again because of his efforts toward discrimination. I had just read this article on it when I saw a thread had been started.

http://womenshealthnews.wordpress.com/2008/02/
I agree Annie. What a fool.:bang:

I don't think this will be the last we will see of legislation moving in this direction. They've taxed cigarettes, alcohol and gasoline to the moon and succeeded in decreasing usage of those products to the point of diminishing tax monies from these items. There have been mumblings over the past few years about the obesity epidemic with insurance companies getting involved. Obesity is costing the medical system money type of rhetoric. They will figure a way to tax this. I think this is scary because it is so ridiculously obvious. Why would they include restaurants that offer healthier choices on their menus, or health and vegetarian food establishments? This is the finger in the air to see which way the wind blows.

I know obesity is a huge problem but I think its just wrong to turn a hungry person away, no matter their size. This is stupid

So who working in the food service industry is qualified to determine who is obese? I just can't see a doctor dressed in "hooters" hostess attire waiting to interview each customer to see if their obese before their seated in their place.:eek:

IMO, and only IMO, mississippi's obesity problem is the fact that the people are so poor that their meals are fattening, because fattening foods are cheap. i doubt that this will pass (i hope not, as its stupid) but they going at it wrong. if it does pass, people will just have to stay home and eat beans and rice and cornbread...

What kind of idiots are running Mississippi?

Because I can almost see some thin thread of logic if this applied to fast food places or certain kinds of foods (not that I agree with it, but I could imagine the thought process behind it). But to say no restaurant, including those serving healthy food, can serve ANY food to anyone who is obese...that is ridiculous!

Even the most conservative doctor wouldn't tell the most morbidly obese person to completely stop eating in order to lose weight.

Plus, imagine the losses in tax revenue and bankrupt restaurants! The food industry is already hurting right now due to a dramatic rise in food and fuel costs. This stupid law won't help anyone's health, and will definitely damage the state's economy.

Yes, just what we need more of: governmental hand holding. :|

*you drive up to the drive thru... cashier comes on the speaker... before you give your order you hear: Welcome to Clog-ur-Arteries... weight, height and BMI, please.*

What next: grocery stores will be made to start assessing your cart contents to make sure that you are buying the appropriate healthy food for your size?

why stop at restaurants? grocery stores are the source of most of the food people eat. why not have to weigh in at the door before being allowed to buy groceries?

i live about 3 miles from the mississippi border, and i know many people there, fat people, thin people,educated and uneducated people, good people and some real rotters. i know what a normal meal is for these people, high in carbs, fat and sugar. its not the stop at mcdonalds, its the everyday meals.

tax dollars at work---------------:mad:
about all I can add, because this is so stupid I cant see straight-

Ah... maybe they'll start leaving us smokers alone now that they have a new group to attack. :D

This does not surprise me at all.

They just passed a law this past summer about wearing baggy pants where your underwear shows, you will be fined. Now I don't like to see anyones underwear, but I thought to myself "where does it end". These folks in the government offices decide they don't like something or it's bad for someone's health they think it needs to be regulated. People have lost the right to decide what is or isn't good for them.

How will that bill help? Obese people can go to grocery store and get all the junk food they want. Or will they be regulating how much you can buy at the grocery stores? If there is a skinny person and an obese person in the car, how will they handle that?

These folks need to focus on more important things; such as child abuse, child molesters, the homeless and animal cruelty. Something that we actually need the legislators to worry about. :twocents:

why stop at restaurants? grocery stores are the source of most of the food people eat. why not have to weigh in at the door before being allowed to buy groceries?

i live about 3 miles from the mississippi border, and i know many people there, fat people, thin people,educated and uneducated people, good people and some real rotters. i know what a normal meal is for these people, high in carbs, fat and sugar. its not the stop at mcdonalds, its the everyday meals.

Great idea, Mira. We'll just starve people until they are the weight we think they should be. Brilliant. A platform like that will get you elected in MS quick!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back