Dallas ~ Rampaging gorilla shot to death

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
DALLAS (AP) -- Dallas Zoo officials said they can't explain how a 300-pound gorilla escaped from its enclosure, injuring four people before it was shot to death.

Police evacuated an estimated 300 people from the zoo compound Thurday and killed Jabari, a 13-year-old western lowland gorilla, after it charged at officers.

Zoo workers armed with tranquilizer guns had pursued the animal through the forested jungles of the Wilds of Africa exhibit, but could not gain a clear shot, officials said.

"It tried to charge two of our officers, so we had to shoot it," Deputy Police Chief Daniel Garcia said. "You can imagine the pandemonium we had out here when he got loose. We felt terrible we had to put this animal down."

The injured included a mother and her toddler son. Rivers Noah, 3, was in fair condition at Children's Medical Center with multiple bites to his head and chest. His mother, Keisha Heard, 26, who was bitten on the legs, was in good condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/03/19/388320-ap.html

Casshew said:
DALLAS (AP) -- Dallas Zoo officials said they can't explain how a 300-pound gorilla escaped from its enclosure, injuring four people before it was shot to death. Police evacuated an estimated 300 people from the zoo compound Thurday and killed Jabari, a 13-year-old western lowland gorilla, after it charged at officers. Zoo workers armed with tranquilizer guns had pursued the animal through the forested jungles of the Wilds of Africa exhibit, but could not gain a clear shot, officials said. "It tried to charge two of our officers, so we had to shoot it," Deputy Police Chief Daniel Garcia said. "You can imagine the pandemonium we had out here when he got loose. We felt terrible we had to put this animal down." The injured included a mother and her toddler son. Rivers Noah, 3, was in fair condition at Children's Medical Center with multiple bites to his head and chest. His mother, Keisha Heard, 26, who was bitten on the legs, was in good condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital. url]http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/03/19/388320-ap.html[/url]

Cass this was really bad. Our local TV station showed an interview with the mother. She was bitten pretty bad, but she said her MOM insticts just kicked in. Those beasts (Gorillas) are HUGE and I don't think they are the least bit cute.

When I was a travel agent I was attended a conference in SanDiego and one of perks was "Breakfast with the Gorillas" at the SanDiego Zoo.

We went behind the scenes to the back areas where the zoo handlers work and we were introduced to a 700 pound silverback lowland gorilla, he put his hand through the bars for us to stoke his palm. His hand - I swear - was the size of a baseball catchers mitt, HUGE... even his fingers, you could not even get your hand around one of them.

His eyes gave me the creeps... human almost, and he was a frightening beast to me - although everyone else seemed to love him and not be afraid... I just wanted out of there. I could not believe the handlers were letting us touch him and weren't even paying that much attention. He could have grabbed anyone through this kind of barred holding area.

I can imagine what a terrible attack this was - it's a miracle no one was killed, to think of being bit.. you should have see this aniimals teeth!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back