FL FL - Gwendel Talijan Greenblatt, 35, West Palm Beach, 5 Feb 2003

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/pa/index.ssf?/base/news-15/1202187938145640.xml&coll=2

Gwendel Greenblatt's death in Florida a mystery.
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 By BEVIN MILAVSKY
The Express-Times
Today marks five years since Bethlehem native Gwendel Talijan Greenblatt was found murdered inside her West Palm Beach, Fla., apartment.
Relatives and police have suspected her husband, Matthew Greenblatt, from whom she was separated, was involved in the crime. But despite an intensive investigation and potentially incriminating evidence, there was never enough for police to charge him, according to authorities. (much more at link)

I really hate it when people get away with murder. If he isn't punished in this life then I know for sure he will be in the next....burn monster burn.

From June 2015:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/index.ssf/2015/06/crime-solving_show_takes_up_be.html

TNT's "Cold Justice" isn't like most true crime shows. The show stars a former prosecutor and a former crime-scene investigator and has resulted in 22 arrests in its 21 months on the air.

That's why the family of Bethlehem native Gwendel Talijan Greenblatt decided to participate in it. Greenblatt's 2003 murder in her apartment in West Palm Beach, Florida, remains unsolved 12 years later..

Talijan and Greenblatt's other brother, Chad Piotrowski, still suspect their former brother-in-law. "Cold Justice" reached out to Matthew Greenblatt as part of its investigation, Piotrowski said. "If nothing else, that rattled his cage a little bit," said Piotrowski, who works as a criminal defense attorney in Miami.

Posted Nov 29, 2016. More at link.

West Palm police probe 2003 cold-case murder featured on TV show

Snip:
The 2003 cold case was the recent focus of Crime Watch Daily, a nationally syndicated television program. Cold-case detectives are still trying to determine who killed Greenblatt on the afternoon of Feb. 5, 2003, in her apartment in Royal St. George, a community along Brandywine Road north of Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard and just west of Interstate 95.

Police tested three cigarette butts found near Gwendel’s apartment after the murder — including one left burning on the fire alarm outside her apartment door. DNA from that cigarette was later matched to a man named Richard Engel, according to the Crime Watch Daily report.

Engel, who was temporarily incarcerated for an unrelated crime, denied having any involvement in Greenblatt’s murder, the report said.

Updated Jan 02, 2019; Posted Nov 29, 2016. More at link.

Cops again try to crack dance instructor's unsolved murder

Authorities have said Greenblatt was chased, cornered and then shot once in the head inside her Florida apartment.

Greenblatt was coming home from work, and was on her cellphone with a friend as she walked into her apartment, investigators previously said. The friend heard Greenblatt scream and drop the phone.

The friend called police, who found the wounded Greenblatt in a closet and a .380-caliber gunshot casing in her one-bedroom apartment. Police said they found the front door closed but unlocked, and her dog inside with its leash on.

Police have named Greenblatt's estranged husband, Matthew, as a possible suspect.

There is a Facebook page but I won't link it as I cannot determine if it run by the family. You can search by typing with Arrest Matt Greenblatt...... First time I've ever seen a page like that.

Posted 11/28/2016. More at link.

Unsolved: Stray cigarettes found at dance instructor's murder scene

Snips:
"A few months after they got married my sister found out that Matthew was cheating on her," said Chad Piotrowski, Gwen's brother. "They separated. I think he stayed in the house, she got her own condo and they tried to work on it, or at least she did."

"When she gets inside her home she's accosted, there's a disturbance in the living room, the vase is knocked over, her phone is on the floor," said Fraser.

"There was a prenuptial agreement, there was a figure of approximately $70,000 that Greenblatt would have to pay Gwen if the marriage failed," said Fraser.

Hours after the murder, police dust Matt Greenblatt's hands for gunpowder. The result: "Positive for the presence of gunshot residue."

Gwen scrambles away in terror.

"She runs into a dead end," said Fraser. "The only thing left is the bathroom and the closet. There's no place else to go."

Her pursuer raises a gun and shoots twice.

"Right through the top of her head, killing her," said Fraser.

There is a Facebook page but I won't link it as I cannot determine if it run by the family. You can search by typing with Arrest Matt Greenblatt...... First time I've ever seen a page like that.
I know MG, our general community have high suspicion of him. On a personal level, he can be hotheaded and childlike when he doesn’t get his way. He is decently wealthy and used to travel a lot on the East coast for fishing tournaments.

My brother fished with him— I just know thought about this story (I was told years ago before I got into the crime/forensics scene). Is there any updates? I can look around but I haven’t heard anything within the community besides rumors and southern speculation.

Published July 13, 2021

Matthew was never charged in relation to Gwendel’s murder. The authorities weren’t able to find a connection between him and Richard. Matthew has since moved on from the incident. He used to work for his family’s company, Synthetic Thread, earlier but has since picked up competitive fishing and takes part in Fishing League Worldwide Tours. He has also re-married since then and seems to live in Port St. Lucie, Florida, with his wife, Dianna, and their two dogs.

Published July 13, 2021

Matthew was never charged in relation to Gwendel’s murder. The authorities weren’t able to find a connection between him and Richard. Matthew has since moved on from the incident. He used to work for his family’s company, Synthetic Thread, earlier but has since picked up competitive fishing and takes part in Fishing League Worldwide Tours. He has also re-married since then and seems to live in Port St. Lucie, Florida, with his wife, Dianna, and their two dogs.
Thank you for this link! I am very familiar with the fishing world. My brother fishes in a different elite competitive fishing program. He always said everyone in FLW has a sneaking suspicion MG either did partake in GG's murder or had knowledge of aspects of her death. You would NEVER think this upon meeting MG though-- He is a large personality that often takes the room with his witty humor and southern attitude. Although, many fishers and FLW staff have seen the darker side of MG. My brother remembers a time when they fished together in the FLW as there is a two person rule (two fishers on the boat at all times while fishing tournaments). He was paired with MG-- I remember my brother explaining how awkward the encounter was and just the sinking feeling of being around MG. I'm unsure of the remarks made in this given situation but my brother states numerous conversations have risen around MG's involvement in his past wife's death.

I wonder what it would take for the case to reopen or an investigation to be resought. This would be considered a cold case, correct?? Maybe contacting the old lead officer on this case would give a push? I am almost wanting to interview some FLW friends and the police department (doubt they would even answer/respond to me).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back