Rubbish Pacific Ocean twice size of America

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Simply shocking and lamentable and a grave danger for now and the future, IMO.

Rubbish dump found floating in Pacific Ocean is twice the size of America

A rubbish dump twice the size of the United States has been discovered floating in the Pacific Ocean.
The vast expanse of debris, made up of plastic junk including footballs, kayaks, Lego blocks and carrier bags, is kept together by swirling underwater currents.

It stretches from 500 nautical miles off the Californian coast, across the northern Pacific, past Hawaii and almost as far as Japan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=512424&in_page_id=1811

That's terrible.
Someone who has a lot of money(Bill Gates PLEASE) help us out...!!
Either you or others, maybe give us a program(grant) to clean this up or program that will enable us to do so...
Surely there would be volunteers to help out, if we have a coarse of action, a plan....

That's terrible.
Someone who has a lot of money(Bill Gates PLEASE) help us out...!!
Either you or others, maybe give us a program(grant) to clean this up or program that will enable us to do so...
Surely there would be volunteers to help out, if we have a coarse of action, a plan....

The problem is, virtually no one in any position of power or otherwise gives a d*mn about this. :(

they don't believe it impinges upon their lives. it will bite one day . . .

OMG! This is disgusting! What are we doing to our beautiful planet? We are destroying it all for convenience and materialism. I hope that this specific example is brought up in the current presidential campaign. I want to hear what each candidate proposes to do to clean up this mess and to prevent further excessive pollution.

This could very well explain why the whale migration to Hawaii at this time of the year, has been waning... poor things have been contending with this trash. :(

(eta: they come down from Alaska between dec and apr (the same area this article says the trash is at)... they go to Hawaii to mate and have babies... 3 years ago, it was hard to find any whales up around Oahu... only last year did I get to see a good number of them when I was on the Big Island, when I went to photograph them... but the marine biologist that took our fluke counts down, said it was still low in numbers. Us humans are turning into the bad worm in the apple we call Earth...)

Makes me not EVER wanna get in the ocean again!
Sickening to think of what we are swimming with! :sick:

Well no wonder so many new diseases keep popping up! This is horrible someone has to do something.

I find it odd that only the daily mail is reporting this. The daily mail is a rubbish rag. Rumours and titillations is all it usually serves up. Ill wait until another news agency picks this up before I credit it with some merit.

I find it odd that only the daily mail is reporting this. The daily mail is a rubbish rag. Rumours and titillations is all it usually serves up. Ill wait until another news agency picks this up before I credit it with some merit.

Perhaps The Independent is more trustworthy for you?

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...at-stretches-from-hawaii-to-japan-778016.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/leading-articles/leading-article-sea-change-778041.html

Or News.com Australia?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23156017-1702,00.html

I am shocked this isn't the biggest news story in the world right now.

Your probably right when you said
Floh

The problem is, virtually no one in any position of power or otherwise gives a d*mn about this. :(

they don't believe it impinges upon their lives. it will bite one day . . .

So the Independent works for your hincky meter?

Somewhere in the future an enterprising group will see this junk as a natural raw resource and collect it for profit. Think it won't be done? How about all that reclaimed lumber they are pulling up from submerged sources. It may happen sooner than we think, just not soon enough for me. The ocean doesn't deserve what has been done to it.

NPR recently had a story about this. They reported from the boat they were on seeing this trash for the first time. The reporter was just speechless. Not a good thing for radio but it made an excellent point.

This just makes me sick and angry :mad:
And we wonder why mother nature is fighting back...
We are destroying our planet.
Our lovely mother Earth is weeping and we just continue to abuse her.

I think some how it should be made mandatory that we all recycle.
It's not a cure all, but it certainly helps the cause.

I do my part, but didn't think that was enough, so I a couple of months back, I put a note on all of my neighbors door that if they would collect their trash items for recycing, I would pick the items up once a week in my husband's truck and take them to the recycling center 25 miles away.
It's a shame that we have to got that far and that most of the people in our area don't even know where the recycling center is. We need more public awareness.
I have gotten a great response and am very happy to give back to the mother that gives us all life.
But we are just not doing enough as a whole.

Teach respect for the Earth! It does not belong to us.
We are literally trashing our future.

ETA: Thanks, Floh, for posting this and making us aware.

This just makes me sick and angry :mad:
And we wonder mother nature is fighting back...
We are destroying our planet.
Our lovely mother Earth is weeping and we just continue to abuse her.

I think some how it should be made mandatory that we all recycle.
It's not a cure all, but it certainly helps the cause.

I do my part, but didn't think that was enough, so I a couple of months back, I put a note on all of my neighbors door that if they would collect their trash items for recycing, I would pick the items up once a week in my husband's truck and take them to the recycling center 25 miles away.
It's a shame that we have to got that far and that most of the people in our area don't even know where the recycling center is. We need more public awareness.
I have gotten a great response and am very happy to give back to the mother that gives us all life.
But we are just not doing enough as a whole.

Teach respect for the Earth! It does not belong to us.
We are literally trashing our future.

ETA: Thanks, Floh, for posting this and making us aware.

I so agree with you. Great post. :clap:

this is horrifying and i believe i posted about this also a few months ago.
and i have a vision of the future where we will be drowning in plastic everywhere. this is exactly why i no longer accept a plastic bags from the store for one or a couple items.. anything that can be carried. going to the grocery store is a little trickier, when you're buying a lot of stuff. i just don't buy many things at all that are plastic, or have lots of plastic packaging. if we didn't BUY he stuff, then they wouldn't MAKE the stuff!! (china???? are you listening???)
anything that isn't degradable.. goes into the recycle bin.

I re.ad about this floating "rubbish". Had a hard time believing it.
Has anyone checked Google or MSN earth maps and are able to find it?
I tried for a few days and couldn't see anything at all.
Let me know if it is visible from one of those tools.
Thanks.

I re.ad about this floating "rubbish". Had a hard time believing it.
Has anyone checked Google or MSN earth maps and are able to find it?
I tried for a few days and couldn't see anything at all.
Let me know if it is visible from one of those tools.
Thanks.

The linked article states the debri is translucent so can't be seen by the satellites...that is probably why it isn't visible on the earth maps either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back