Tornadoes rip through South, killing 50+

Dark Knight

Reaction score
ATKINS, Ark. - Tornadoes across four Southern states tore through homes, ripped the roof off a shopping mall and blew apart warehouses in a rare spasm of violent winter weather that killed at least 17 people and injured dozens more.

The twisters that slammed Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky were part of a line of storms that raged across the nation's midsection at the end of a day of Super Tuesday primaries in several states. Candidates including Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee even paused their victory speeches to remember the victims.

More at link, including pics:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080206/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

Prayers for all of the victims.

Thanks DK for the heads up. I just watched a report about the tornadoes a few minutes ago...they were vicious.

Thanks DK for the heads up. I just watched a report about the tornadoes a few minutes ago...they were vicious.

You're welcome. I want to see the cell phone video of one of the twisters. It sounded large enough to maybe be F3 or F4, but I'd want to see it, first. (Size doesn't guarantee strength, but it's pretty close, I've noticed.)

I have my annual SKYWARN Severe Weather Spotter training class coming up in a couple of weeks. We are going to have a LOT of footage to view and storms to discuss from this past year, it seems like.

Cnn, said it might of been an F4, 151mph........:eek:

My heart truly goes out to all the victims of these storms. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

I have been watching them all afternoon and evening east of here and they were blowing up supercell after supercell. It is horrific the damage they have caused and the lives they have taken and changed in such a brief moment. Again, we were spared the brunt of these.

Cnn, said it might of been an F4, 151mph........:eek:

Doesn't surprise me, the way its being described. And to happen on Primary day, when people were possibly out and about, makes it worse, I think. But we'll see if that was a factor in the death toll, or not. I thought I heard on ABC radio that dozens of twisters were reported. That's a major outbreak for February, if so!

The death toll keeps rising as now 23 are confirmed dead and over 100 injured.

Union University is in Jackson, TN. The students were really very lucky!!!

At least 50 people were trapped after the storm caused damage to the Jackson Oaks Retirement Home, Oaks said. Nine students were trapped in a damaged dormitory at Union University in Jackson, she said.

But the Union University campus was perhaps hardest hit -- classes have been canceled for two weeks to allow for clean up. "It looks like a war zone," said David Dockery, university president. "Cars and trucks thrown from one side of the campus to the other."

Dockery said the women's dorms were destroyed, along with two academic buildings. Many other school buildings received lesser damage.

Advance warning of the storm saved lives, he said, giving students enough time to move to shelters. At one point, 13 were trapped, but there were no severe injuries.

About 3,300 students attend the school with 1,200 living on campus.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/02/05/tornado.bad.weather/index.html

The death toll keeps rising as now 23 are confirmed dead and over 100 injured.

Union University is in Jackson, TN. The students were really very lucky!!!

At least 50 people were trapped after the storm caused damage to the Jackson Oaks Retirement Home, Oaks said. Nine students were trapped in a damaged dormitory at Union University in Jackson, she said.

But the Union University campus was perhaps hardest hit -- classes have been canceled for two weeks to allow for clean up. "It looks like a war zone," said David Dockery, university president. "Cars and trucks thrown from one side of the campus to the other."

Dockery said the women's dorms were destroyed, along with two academic buildings. Many other school buildings received lesser damage.

Advance warning of the storm saved lives, he said, giving students enough time to move to shelters. At one point, 13 were trapped, but there were no severe injuries.

About 3,300 students attend the school with 1,200 living on campus.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/02/05/tornado.bad.weather/index.html

yes they were!.....wonder about the article Liz posted; the 22 reported dead:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth