American Woman Jailed In Saudi Arabia

Blondieskatz

Reaction score
This is totally crazy. Another example women have no rights in foreign countries!

American Woman Jailed in Saudi Arabia for Sitting With Man at Starbucks
Thursday, February 07, 2008
foxnews_story.gif

A 37-year-old American businesswoman and married mother of three is seeking justice after she was thrown in jail by Saudi Arabia's religious police for sitting with a male colleague at a Starbucks coffee shop in Riyadh, according to a report in The Times of London on Thursday.
Yara, who does not want her last name published for fear of retribution, was bruised and crying when she was freed from a day in prison after she was strip-searched, threatened and forced to sign false confessions by the Kingdom's "Mutaween" police, The Times reported.
"Some men came up to us with very long beards and white dresses. They asked 'Why are you here together?'. I explained about the power being out in our office. They got very angry and told me what I was doing was a great sin," recalled Yara, who wears an abaya and headscarf, like most Saudi women.
The men were from Saudi Arabia's Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, a police force of several thousand men charged with enforcing dress codes, sex segregation and the observance of prayers.
Yara says she was interrogated, strip-searched and forced to sign and fingerprint a series of confessions pleading guilty to her "crime," the Times reported.
Yara was visited this week by officials from the American Embassy, who promised they would file

That is one place that is not on my travel itinerary.

That is one place that is not on my travel itinerary.

No kidding!

Horrible, horrible, horrible. And as much as I do not mean to "blame the victim," I personally would NEVER travel to or live in Saudi Arabia or any other country with such leadership. You might literally not get out alive.

It is unfortunate b/c they are the site of some of the world's richest history and places I would love to be able to see.

I suppose her male colleague didn't even get scolded for sitting with a female and the dress wearing fanatics probably get a charge out of abusing women, especially foreigners.

I suppose her male colleague didn't even get scolded for sitting with a female and the dress wearing fanatics probably get a charge out of abusing women, especially foreigners.

I don't recall if it Saudi Arabia or not but in some mid-east countries women who are raped need several male witnesses in order to not be prosecuted for being raped..

Now my question is.... what the hell were those males doing not stopping it???

I didn't know there was Starbucks in S.A...Wonder what they have to say about this?

It was Saudi Arabia's Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice Police that did this. It's absoultely crazy you can't even sit in public with a man and have coffee!

Good thing we don't have those kinds of police over here. My goodness they would stay busy and all the jails would be full!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back