The new dollar coin

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
My cousin told me about this last night. i've done a search and am surprised there isn't already a thread.

my cousin tells me she will refuse to accept a dollar coin in shops and banks because the "In God we trust" has gone. without consultation of the public.

what say you? do you agree with her? :confused:

I will! apparently there is a whole movement to reject these coins. i don't know how she could have gotten it so wrong.
I'd like to reject a dollar coin simply because coins are heavier and I already have enough change to carry around. And, unless they make it a lot larger or different color or shape or something, I'm afraid I'll get it confused with the quarter.

I'd like to reject a dollar coin simply because coins are heavier and I already have enough change to carry around. And, unless they make it a lot larger or different color or shape or something, I'm afraid I'll get it confused with the quarter.
It looks very different. It is a bit larger and the edge of the coin as well as the color make it very distinctive and you won't confuse them. I have several of them in my purse at the moment.

That was the probelm with the Susan B Anthony dollars years ago. They were always mistaken for quarters and it led to a real problem.

Nicknamed the "looney" (because of the loon on one side) and the "twoonie", we have had one and two dollar coins in Canada for several years now. Its really not a problem, in fact I find them handy for coffee and other small purchases as you can keep them separately in a change purse without having to get out your wallet.

Edited to add: the pictures make it seem like the twoonie is smaller but they are actually the same size - slightly larger than a quarter.

Attachments

• looney.jpg
    looney.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 108
  • twoonie.jpg
    twoonie.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 109
It looks very different. It is a bit larger and the edge of the coin as well as the color make it very distinctive and you won't confuse them. I have several of them in my purse at the moment.
Ah, thanks. I went to the link after I posted :doh: and see that it will be easy to tell them apart. I didn't realize they were already out. I still think they're going to weigh down my purse more than it already is.

Well, I am one who believes in separation of church and state, so I believe God does not belong in the pledge or on money. I hope Michael Newdow wins his suit.

I'm not for a dollar coin with or w/o In God We Trust. The dollar should remain in paper form. imo

This may be for a new thread. But, can we just get rid of the penny? Those useless pennies.:twocents:

I'm not for a dollar coin with or w/o In God We Trust. The dollar should remain in paper form. imo

This may be for a new thread. But, can we just get rid of the penny? Those useless pennies.:twocents:

But... without those pennies, you couldn't give your :twocents: ("two cents")... :rolleyes:

Well, I am one who believes in separation of church and state, so I believe God does not belong in the pledge or on money. I hope Michael Newdow wins his suit.

I am in total agreement with you LinasK.

A dollar coin has never gotten popular in the past, and I doubt it ever will, unless some major overhauling is done in the US money system. Personally, I think our gov't has far more pressing issues to finance with the tax payers money, than inventing new coin designs and such. I understand design in the name of thwarting fraud in the paper money system, but the rest of it (like state coins and new coin designs) are a bunch of hoohah waste of money.

As far as coins go, though, I find the coin usage in the EU and UK far more easier to deal with because they do leave their smaller money bill domination like we have, to the coin side. BUT... they do get heavy in the purse and to this very day I still have tons of the large denomination coins floating around. BUT... they make for cute souveniers gifts for kids. LoL

I save all the dollar coins I come across at my job (kids and people use them at the parks for snacks at the canteen). I use to give them to my daughters when they were younger. My youngest daughter loved getting them. I used to put them in velvet bags with drawstrings. She thought it was cool to get her bag of "magical" coins. Now I'm saving them for my granddaughter. She's not old enough to know what they are yet, but by then I'll have a ton of them to put in a bag and I know she'll love getting her "magic" coins also!! I have probably over 100 of them right now. She's only 15 months old. So I have a long time to collect before she understands about coins. I just hope people keep spending them a few at a time so I can trade them out a few at a time between now and then.

I save all the dollar coins I come across at my job (kids and people use them at the parks for snacks at the canteen). I use to give them to my daughters when they were younger. My youngest daughter loved getting them. I used to put them in velvet bags with drawstrings. She thought it was cool to get her bag of "magical" coins. Now I'm saving them for my granddaughter. She's not old enough to know what they are yet, but by then I'll have a ton of them to put in a bag and I know she'll love getting her "magic" coins also!! I have probably over 100 of them right now. She's only 15 months old. So I have a long time to collect before she understands about coins. I just hope people keep spending them a few at a time so I can trade them out a few at a time between now and then.
Go to the bank and ask. You can get all you want there. I also got 18 of them yesterday as change back at the postal stamp machine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back