Deadly encounters with Gary Hilton-AJC Special Report

It sounds like Rossana Miliani was likely one of his victims. On another forum I read that many items of clothing and a green car rear seat cover were found in Dawson Forest near Hilton's campsite by the river. I hope that forensic evidence from the sleeping bags, packs, and other items that Hilton threw into the dumpsters right before he was arrested will tie him to more of his victims.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ddjl6

Hilton has been all over the place and knew the forest service roads as well or better than most hikers who use them all the time. It isn't uncommon to see people living out of cars, truck campers or vans in the national forest along the intertwined dirt / gravel roads.

My husband and I have been known to car camp in an area for up to two weeks while day-hiking nearby portions of the Appalachian Trail or hiking out to waterfalls (my husband's passion). Hunters use these roads and often camp from vehicles. Fly fishermen do the same. And then there are the homeless. There are a surprising number of people who live off the grid in the woods.

I'm still somewhat stunned that I've been everywhere in GA and NC that LE says Hilton has been. There but for the grace of God went my husband and I. We are somewhat similar to John & Irene Bryant.

Thank you for this thread SuzieQ. Seeing Dandy's photo for the first time is weird. Poor dog.

Thanks for that link Marchmallow.

Thank you for this thread SuzieQ. Seeing Dandy's photo for the first time is weird. Poor dog.

Thanks for that link Marchmallow.

He's a cutie. I hope he finds a good home.

(Third hand info so may not be true) I've been told that Dandy has been adopted by one of the people involved in the search and rescue operation for Meredith Emerson. Since he had been an outdoor dog and was accustomed to hiking, he would likely be happiest with someone who will take him hiking and all the S & R members are hikers and/or climbers.

(Third hand info so may not be true) I've been told that Dandy has been adopted by one of the people involved in the search and rescue operation for Meredith Emerson. Since he had been an outdoor dog and was accustomed to hiking, he would likely be happiest with someone who will take him hiking and all the S & R members are hikers and/or climbers.

That is good to know even if it is third hand.

The article was good about Hilton's timeline and the interviews. I am so glad he is off the streets, the mountains, the swamps, and everything in between.

Thanks, SuziQ! One part of the report I found curious is that Tabor wrote Hilton a check for $2500, attached a note calling it extortion, and then Hilton tore up the check. Why would he tear up the check? Unless it really was extortion or blackmail or something of that nature, and Hilton was trying to get a whole lot more money from him? I just don't get it, if Hilton was willing to murder random people for a couple of hundred dollars, it seems that he would have cashed the check. :waitasec:

That puzzled me, too. There's got to be more to that story, like if Tabor said the check would be for more and Hilton was surprised at the smaller amount it ended up being.

You both make good points, Pan and Truly...we only have Tabor's word about the check...the odd thing about Tabor, is that he seems to have been the only person who was willing to deal with GMH for an extended period of time...I know that I never could have done so, from all I have heard of Hilton's weirdness/creepiness. More to this story than meets the eye, I feel.

I just don't get it, if Hilton was willing to murder random people for a couple of hundred dollars, it seems that he would have cashed the check.

Did Hilton have a bank account? How did Tabor usually pay him? If he usually was paid cash under the table, and he didn't have a bank account, maybe he was expecting cash instead of a check?

It has always seemed odd to me that he never took that much money from the bank accounts he accessed. Even though he demanded large sums from Tabor....

(I know the Tabors have been discussed elsewhere at length and I don't want to get off track... but is there any chance that Tabor is making his own role out to be a bit more important than it really was? Like he didn't actually give Hilton a check that Hilton tore up or the like? The whole Hilton/Tabor relationship is really whonky, if you ask me)

Tallytown, we may never know! Because poor Emerson's case will not go to trial ( a good thing, I feel), then all the info with Tabor, etc. stays hidden.

A big sigh of relief from Tabor, I am sure he is happy that this will all go away.

Unless....an intrepid reporter goes digging....so many, many unanswered questions in this case!

Perhaps we will get some more information when he is charged with other crimes, which cannot come soon enough for me!

Did Hilton have a bank account? How did Tabor usually pay him? If he usually was paid cash under the table, and he didn't have a bank account, maybe he was expecting cash instead of a check?

It has always seemed odd to me that he never took that much money from the bank accounts he accessed. Even though he demanded large sums from Tabor....

(I know the Tabors have been discussed elsewhere at length and I don't want to get off track... but is there any chance that Tabor is making his own role out to be a bit more important than it really was? Like he didn't actually give Hilton a check that Hilton tore up or the like? The whole Hilton/Tabor relationship is really whonky, if you ask me)

Hilton must have had a way to cash checks from Tabor, because Tabor stated that when Hilton called him from the Huddle House (with Meredith still in his van, presumably:eek: ), that Tabor tried to lure him to his office with the promise of an $800 check left under the sundial on the deck.

Most atm cards have a maximum daily limit ($300?), so I think he took as much as he could before he figured he'd get caught.

It seems like $2500 is a substantial chunk of change for an old homeless dude to just throw away. Hmmm...

Tabor is involved in a lawsuit about some work his company did. That would be where his payment methods are revealed, unless it is settled out of court.

Dandy is nearly to the end of a Golden Retriever's life span (I have a Golden myself). I am glad to hear he wasn't euthanized because of Hilton's activities. I hope he has a peaceful and happy life.

I wonder if someone adopts Dandy and then brings Dandy to retrace some of Hilton's frequent routes where he hiked. Would Dandy be able to lead them to different spots out of routine if he was off the leash? This could potentially help LE in having an idea of exactly where Hilton frequented that isn't known and if he possibly used a cabin at any point in different locations.
As for Hilton tearing up the check, it seems if he was that desperate for money he would have kept it and took it to a check cashing place. Hilton seems to only demand money enough to survive on. Maybe his pride was hurt with Tabor's check so he ripped it up, i don't know. Maybe he was just "testing" tabor to see if he would write a check. Once he did, Hilton ripped it up, as it was just a "test" in his mind.

I'm not quite buying into the Tabor's story... As everybody points out, why on earth would a homeless guy in need of money tear up a substantial check? Why turn down a chunk of free money but then go kidnap/kill somebody for a little bit of money? So, either the Tabors aren't quite being honest about handing Hilton free money...

Or maybe Hilton preferred kidnapping and killing for his money - he wasn't in it for money so much as for the thrill of the chase etc., and if he had money, he couldn't "rationalize" getting money by killing some poor hiker.

I haven't been keeping up lately. I didn't know they found John Bryant's body. A very sad, but expected ending. Bless all the victims of this monster.

Interesting article. Tabor was clearly antagonizing Hilton with that inclusion on the check. Why do that if he was so afraid of him. I still think there's something left out in his story. Why write the check in the first place instead of calling LE.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back