Secretary of Defense Robert Gates slips on ice and breaks shoulder

I knew a guy who slipped on ice and hit the back of his head and died. His amazing Italian restaurant was closed as a result. This guy should consider himself lucky.

I knew a guy who slipped on ice and hit the back of his head and died. His amazing Italian restaurant was closed as a result. This guy should consider himself lucky.

Katherine Graham, the editor of the Washington Post died from slipping on ice and hitting her head.

Gates is younger, but no, I wouldn't consider it lucky to break your shoulder, that can be pretty serious too, and probably very painful.

But ya know....they get GREAT health care... :)

Boy, that ice is nasty business isn't it?
Up north here we have a phenomenon called black ice. You can't see it, but when you hit it, you are hydroplaning with no control--in a car or walking.

Katherine Graham, the editor of the Washington Post died from slipping on ice and hitting her head.

Gates is younger, but no, I wouldn't consider it lucky to break your shoulder, that can be pretty serious too, and probably very painful.

But ya know....they get GREAT health care... :)

What a tragedy that was. She was actually attending my company's annual conference at the time.

I heard that it was reported earlier that he broke his shoulder, but it turned out to be his arm. (Just FYI)

Of course, I can't find a link, but it was on cable news!

What a tragedy that was. She was actually attending my company's annual conference at the time.

I remember; wasn't it in Washington State or someplace like that? I read her autobiography; it was interesting. It was sad about her husband, Phil.

Evidently he (Gates) didn't seek help immediately, but went into Walter Reed today; in bad pain.

Shoulder injuries can be VERY painful, and sometimes require surgery. CNN says he will continue his work as Defense Sec.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/13/gates.arm/index.html

I remember; wasn't it in Washington State or someplace like that? I read her autobiography; it was interesting. It was sad about her husband, Phil.

Evidently he (Gates) didn't seek help immediately, but went into Walter Reed today; in bad pain.

Shoulder injuries can be VERY painful, and sometimes require surgery. CNN says he will continue his work as Defense Sec.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/13/gates.arm/index.html

It was Sun Valley, Idaho. Her fall wasn't due to ice though. It occurred in July.

Didn't Dr. Atkins of the Atkins diet fame die in a similar way?

It was Sun Valley, Idaho. Her fall wasn't due to ice though. It occurred in July.

Oh well, you know, to us Texans those states just blend together!

It's been awhile since I read the book, but hmm I thought it was ice for some reason. She was fairly elderly at the time; it's common to fall.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back