Evidence Discussion

Tallytowngirl

Reaction score
I thought maybe a new thread, just about the evidence found? In the van, elsewhere, and maybe (hopefully) what we will find out as Florida sifts through the lot.

My stomach doesn't feel so good, reading about the condoms, *advertiser censored* and personal lubricant... condoms? I don't want to go there.

Good idea Tally!

How many hats does one murderer need? I don't think they said yet if any of those hats were in the ATM photos.

Panglossian - sounds like he had a thing for hats... How many does a murderer need? I recall seeing him wearing only that black/dark knit thing?

For convenience sake, below are a couple of links to news stories about the evidence which contain links to the evidence lists.

Sweetmop's original post

http://wlos.com/newsroom/nc/topstory/topstory1.shtml

This evening's report from WLOS TV , in Asheville NC.

At the end of the article, there's a link to the search warrant, including the warrant for Hilton's van!

And here's another story about it: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15283884/detail.html

Hats are an important part of staying warm and protected from the sun while hiking. They also serve to keep rain off your face or glasses. Having multiple hats for different sorts of weather and environments isn't all that unusual for hikers. I have five hiking hats myself:
CU9275_365_l.jpg
For hiking in serious sun & heat - deserts or above tree line
CU9310_221_l.jpg
Waterproof Booney - Summer hat for rainy places
CU9725_010_l.jpg
Fleece Balaclava - for very cold weather and sleeping
CU9284_294_l.jpg
knit beanie with windproof fleece ear band - usually worn under another hat for extra warmth
34730_red.jpg
Windproof fleece with earflaps that will fold up when not needed

If I hiked or lived in the conditions GMH did, I probably would have some the artic / ski hats available and a down hood as well.

While the condoms and personal lubricant are worrisome, I'm assuming we would have heard if Meredith Emerson had been sexually assaulted by now.

Hiker- I do not think we will ever know about that aspect of the case. Since he confessed to her murder, the case is closed. Unless her family wanted that information, I think it would be off the books....
of course, I could be mistaken, but I think her family was spared a lot by the avoidance of a trial, not the least of which would have been this info in drawn out detail....

While the condoms and personal lubricant are worrisome, I'm assuming we would have heard if Meredith Emerson had been sexually assaulted by now.

To my way of thinking, them not saying it is worrisome - I'd have thought if she hadn't been, they'd have said so.

Thanks for the hat pics! It seems he favored beanies?

For convenience sake, here's a reminder of what other evidence (what little we've been told) has been found. From [FONT=&quot]Deadly encounters with Gary Hilton [/FONT]:

Through phone records, investigators traced Hilton's call to a QuikTrip in Forsyth County. There, inside a dumpster, were Emerson's wallet, driver's license, UGA ID, a seat belt fragment and three fleece garments. They were still wet with blood.
and
He carried armload after armload of sleeping bags, backpacks, bedrolls and blankets to a nearby dumpster, holding them at arms' length, like a soiled diaper.

That "armload after armload of sleeping bags, backpacks..." in the dumpster - does that mean they are not included in the van list? If they aren't, that means there's even MORE duplication of things like sleeping bags. And since he was so keen to get rid of them, I assume they didn't legitimately belong to him.

How many sleeping bags does a murderer need?

Hats are an important part of staying warm and protected from the sun while hiking. They also serve to keep rain off your face or glasses. Having multiple hats for different sorts of weather and environments isn't all that unusual for hikers. I have five hiking hats myself:
CU9275_365_l.jpg
For hiking in serious sun & heat - deserts or above tree line
CU9310_221_l.jpg
Waterproof Booney - Summer hat for rainy places
CU9725_010_l.jpg
Fleece Balaclava - for very cold weather and sleeping
CU9284_294_l.jpg
knit beanie with windproof fleece ear band - usually worn under another hat for extra warmth
34730_red.jpg
Windproof fleece with earflaps that will fold up when not needed

If I hiked or lived in the conditions GMH did, I probably would have some the artic / ski hats available and a down hood as well.

While the condoms and personal lubricant are worrisome, I'm assuming we would have heard if Meredith Emerson had been sexually assaulted by
now.

I hike and I also run competitively. I own a Nike that wicks moisture for both activities and it's 14 years old. If you find a great hat you keep it. I wear it year around and I live in the snowbelt, only adding earmuffs in winter. I have a snowboarders knit hat for cross country skiing. As a female, you would think I'd have 29 hats like Hilton but I only keep the 2 that work.

Hiker- I do not think we will ever know about that aspect of the case. Since he confessed to her murder, the case is closed. Unless her family wanted that information, I think it would be off the books....
of course, I could be mistaken, but I think her family was spared a lot by the avoidance of a trial, not the least of which would have been this info in drawn out detail....
Her autopsy report may still surface as this search warrant has.

Complete list of evidence, what was taken from his van (return warrant):

Whenever Georgia Bureau of Investigation agents get a search warrant they’re required to file a document which lists everything they found inside. It is an extremely detailed document and the GBI told Channel 2’s Jodie Fleischer that some of the items listed are still considered evidence in other pending cases against Gary Hilton.

http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2008/0212/15283380.pdf

I know I am stuck on the hats, but a few years ago on a trip to Fla we noticed an unusual number of ball caps for men in neons, watermelon and the like. They weren't feminine, but kinda cool. The purples don't necessarily need to be women's purple caps but some hats from that period.

He seemed to have quite the collection of purple and teal, too. He had something like 9 purple and teal mesh shirts, 5 white and purple mesh shirts, also purple shorts and pants, teal shorts and pants, purple and/or teal wind breakers... I know those colors are used for both men's and women's ski wear, so maybe those were the only colors in the discount bin at REI and he got them at a really good price. (or did he only kill hikers who wore purple and or teal?)

One pink REI jacket though, and I don't think that REI makes men's jackets in pink... And as drumstick pointed out pink gloves, which don't tend to be men's.

I wonder whether there are any pictures in that camera?

What I thought was interesting is the different sizes of clothing. The list reads like a wardrobe for several people. His victims came in all different shapes and sizes. The brand of items are indicative of what his victims would have owned not that of a homeless man living out of his van. IMO, alot of the items GMH had were either his victims or he had been stealing from campsites.

Is the the van that he had parked? Surely this isn't the one he was driving around in. It sounds like it was jam packed.

I believe this was the van he was driving; it had the stolen NC tags as well as the GA tags. The abandoned van had been stripped by the junkyard that it was towed to.

I'm wondering if he was using all this camping inventory as a lure to get people to follow him to his van- pretending he had great deals on quality gear? Purple/teal REI clothing in lots of sizes might be appealing to women hikers. I'll be interested to see which items were stolen, and if any of the clothing was new. He could have stolen from hikers or from stores.

I also agree these are not typical homeless guy items. I do think that Hilton knew a lot about hiking/backpacking gear. I don't think he just happened to get kicked out last October and suddenly acquired all this stuff.

While REI is a popular brand among hikers, it is very unlikely that all of the items he found on victims would have been from this source and the same two colors. After a bit of research, I found that teal and purple are only choices in women's clothing at REI - and are not currently available.

I'm not convinced at least some of the purple & teal clothing from REI and assorted sizes wasn't being sold at a flea market or similar venue. Another more grim possibility is that he had this clothing for those he abducted to use before he killed them. After all, he has abducted only day hikers -- people who aren't carrying extra clothing - as far as we know.

While reading the evidence list, I got to thinking...were there any sporting goods store robberies in recent months? Perhaps he and an accomplice, robbed some place? Or possibly someone else robbed it, and Hilton was his friend and thus got some of the goods? Any robberies back there, that anyone recalls?

Good points , Interested. I have seen the type of hiking gear described only in specialty backpacking-type places. I think the airguns would be found at a more hunting/fishing type sporting goods store. I honestly don't know if hunting/fishing stores carry Sierra Designs, NorthFace, etc. I'm guessing the clothes for a hunter are more Carhart, etc.? I can't see Hilton posing as a hunter! He was outfitted for hiking, IMO.

I believe this was the van he was driving; it had the stolen NC tags as well as the GA tags. The abandoned van had been stripped by the junkyard that it was towed to.

I'm wondering if he was using all this camping inventory as a lure to get people to follow him to his van- pretending he had great deals on quality gear? Purple/teal REI clothing in lots of sizes might be appealing to women hikers. I'll be interested to see which items were stolen, and if any of the clothing was new. He could have stolen from hikers or from stores.

I also agree these are not typical homeless guy items. I do think that Hilton knew a lot about hiking/backpacking gear. I don't think he just happened to get kicked out last October and suddenly acquired all this stuff.

Your theory about his selling out of the van is very thought provoking. He wouldn't need a permit, no sales tax, no returns because he'd be gone, but on the other hand there hasn't been any trail entries of a parking lot salesman that I've seen. A real possibility, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back