AZ AZ - Kay Read, 62, Tucson, Feb 2008

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/225402

16 Feb 08

Tucson police are investigating the disappearance of a 62-year-old Tucson woman.

Foul play is suspected because the woman, Kay Frances Read, who had polio, normally uses crutches and a brace to get around, but they were left at her East Side home, said Officer Frank Amado, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.

Read's family told police that they last had contact with her Thursday night, but when they went to her home in the 7300 block of East Marigold Circle on Friday morning and found her gone without her crutches and brace, they became concerned, he said.

more at link

pic

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/225603

18 Feb 08

Tucson police are still searching for a 62-year-old woman who has been missing since Friday.

Kay Frances Read last spoke with her family Thursday night. When relatives went to her home in the 7300 block of East Marigold Circle Friday morning, they found her gone.

and

Police suspect foul play because her 1996 Dodge Caravan was found abandoned and the interior set ablaze near East Golf Links and South Kolb roads, Officer Frank Amado, a Tucson Police Department spokesman, said Friday.

Security camera photos show a man with Read's van at a Conoco gas station near Golf Links and Kolb, but the man has not been identified.
Seagle said the family is getting a composite sketch of the man made and will pass out fliers door-to-door today.

more at link

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/local/77267.php

18 Feb 08

Police on Monday released fuzzy photos taken from an automated teller machine of a man who may be connected to a woman's disappearance last week.

Kay Frances Read, 62, and her van have been missing since late Thursday night or early Friday morning, her crutches and leg braces left behind in her home.

Police reportedly told her sister, Jane Roberts, that a man was spotted with Read's van about 9 a.m. Friday at a gasoline station-convenience mart at East Golf Links and South Kolb roads. The man, who made a purchase, was trying to use Read's credit card to make an ATM withdrawal when he was photographed.

The man is described as in his late 20s to late 30s, 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-9 tall, 160-180 pounds, with short dark hair and acne scars on his face. He is also described as having decaying teeth.

Police asked that anyone with information about Read's disappearance call 911 or the county attorney's anonymous tipster line, 88-CRIME.

pic at link
1203367896.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think Ms. Read will be found alive. The weather has been unseasonably cold (especially over the few days when she was last seen.) I am afraid they probably dumped her body in the desert areas south of the Air Force base, near where her van was found.

God bless her and her family!

There is a homeless camp south of where her vehicle was found. (The burnt out van was found almost directly in the middle of where the camp is and the gas-station are located.) I hope police do some investigating.

Petra, it was very cold Thursday night (we had a "winter storm warning" issued for that Friday). I am concerned that either Ms. Read brought someone in from the cold or someone whom she had helped previously, came to her house and they ended up assaulting her. She was known for her extreme generosity and caring.

I'll keep her and her family in my prayers, they have done a wonderful job keeping this story in the media, as well as searching diligently for her.

Petra, it was very cold Thursday night (we had a "winter storm warning" issued for that Friday). I am concerned that either Ms. Read brought someone in from the cold or someone whom she had helped previously, came to her house and they ended up assaulting her. She was known for her extreme generosity and caring.
I didn't think of that. Oh how sad. :(

Her family has set up a website for her...
www.findkayread.com

I feel so helpless, being in the area, and not being able to offer anything to the searchers/family, other than my prayers.

I did not see this anywhere after doing a couple searches on Kay's name..I'm not very good at them, so I very well likely could have missed it..Anyways, if I did, please move/delete/modify! Thx!

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=7918082

Snips*

Kay Reid was reported missing on Feb. 15th. A few hours later police found her burned van abandoned. Then police released video showing a "person of interest" the case.

Police think someone broke into her home, took Kay and her van. They left behind what the disabled woman needs most. "She had to have been taken from her house because there's no way she could have left with out crutches and brace," says her brother Wes Reid.

No Pic but there is more info at link,trying to find out more. Bolding is mine.

hello to all. newbie here.

i too had polio in childhood and can only imagine (from experience) what ms. read must be going through.

after all the suffering she has sustained in her life (iron lung, rehab on her weakened muscles) she still has daily pain. and now some JERK is subjecting her to more.

i discourage people from saying 'that's not fair', since nobody ever promised any of us 'fair', but this is an atrocity, reprehensible, _not fair_.

worried to death about her, not holding out much hope, but hope is all we have. we should all hope together, maybe that will help.

wannadance
diva on wheels

How do we get sketch of POI, link stated that LE are plastering picture of POI everywhere. I wonder if it was someone she knew?

This is horrible especially since she's disabled. :(

It really irks me when media says a sketch or pic has been released and they don't show it. I hope this woman is ok. It doesn't sound good though.

It really irks me when media says a sketch or pic has been released and they don't show it. I hope this woman is ok. It doesn't sound good though.
There is another thread about her somewhere on this forum. Here is a link to the family's website where a picture of the poi is posted.

www.findkayread.com

hello to all. newbie here.

i too had polio in childhood and can only imagine (from experience) what ms. read must be going through.

after all the suffering she has sustained in her life (iron lung, rehab on her weakened muscles) she still has daily pain. and now some JERK is subjecting her to more.

i discourage people from saying 'that's not fair', since nobody ever promised any of us 'fair', but this is an atrocity, reprehensible, _not fair_.

worried to death about her, not holding out much hope, but hope is all we have. we should all hope together, maybe that will help.

wannadance
diva on wheels

Welcome, Wannadance! :)

Unfortunately due to the state of the crimescene, I don't believe LE is holding out much hope that Ms. Read is still alive.

Has anyone done a back up seach on WS for info on Kay? I've tried a couple different times, but am getting no hits on her name, same thing when i did a google for other news stories (Seems sometimes, the different channels have different details/viewpoints etc so was looking for more info) and again, came up w/ a dead end.

If people are putting up pics, and it's getting media attention shouldn't we be able to find more????? Can one of you savvy picture people copy the pics on that site and post them here so when people view the thread the pics are "in your face" of both kay AND the POI?

Thanks for viewing the link ya'll. I'm clueless on this one!

From the description of sores on his face and decaying teeth it sounds like he might be a meth addict. Possibly he knew this woman was handicapped and saw her as an easy target to get money for drugs.

Of course aren't they usually really thin?

The problem, I believe, is that her name is being spelled two different ways. The correct way, I think, is "READ". The other thread is right below this one and the original threadstarter is Hoppyfrog. Perhaps a moderator could combine the two?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back