USDA recalls 143 million pounds of frozen beef

jilly

Reaction score
The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Sunday recalled 143 million pounds of frozen beef from a Southern California slaughterhouse that is supplies meat to the federal school lunch program and to some major fast-food chains. Officials said it was the largest beef recall in the U.S. history

http://www.cnn.com/

Pretty scary.

Federal officials suspended operations at Westland/Hallmark after an undercover video surfaced showing crippled and sick animals being shoved with forklifts

I'm not watching the video!

Darn right it's scary, I spent 5 days in hospital in 2005, due to food poisoning. Salmonella can live in your intestines for up to a year. My was caused by eating an innocent looking hot dog :eek: Still can't eat them!

The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Sunday recalled 143 million pounds of frozen beef from a Southern California slaughterhouse that is supplies meat to the federal school lunch program and to some major fast-food chains. Officials said it was the largest beef recall in the U.S. history

http://www.cnn.com/

Pretty scary.

Federal officials suspended operations at Westland/Hallmark after an undercover video surfaced showing crippled and sick animals being shoved with forklifts

I'm not watching the video!

BSE? please god it isn't BSE.

I say people need to watch the video to understand how animals can be treated at slaughterhouses. :(

it's disgusting. it needs to be addressed and understood.

This really does need to be addressed; this reminds me of what Upton Sinclair wrote of, in "The Jungle".

I'm glad I don't eat much beef at all; when I do I try to buy from good sources. That is criminal to supply that kind of beef to school lunches.

I think I'm going to look more into the vegan diet.

And if it is BSE, results in affected people may not show for years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy
The USDA banned the use of "downer" cows for slaughter in 1989 after bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE, began to spread across the United Kingdom.

Regulations were tightened in 2003 after a cow with BSE was identified in Washington state.

Studies by several universities have shown a correlation between "downer" cows and those with BSE, popularly known as mad cow disease.

Of the 15 cases of mad cow disease found in North America -- most of them in Canada -- 12 have been from "downer" cows. Although it is rare, people can contract a form of the disease by eating meat from cows with BSE.
http://www.latimes.com/news/education/la-me-humane31jan31,1,5209685.story

The USDA banned the use of "downer" cows for slaughter in 1989 after bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE, began to spread across the United Kingdom.

Regulations were tightened in 2003 after a cow with BSE was identified in Washington state.

Studies by several universities have shown a correlation between "downer" cows and those with BSE, popularly known as mad cow disease.

Of the 15 cases of mad cow disease found in North America -- most of them in Canada -- 12 have been from "downer" cows. Although it is rare, people can contract a form of the disease by eating meat from cows with BSE.
http://www.latimes.com/news/education/la-me-humane31jan31,1,5209685.story

JBean: from the video they look like downer cows. to me.

JBean: from the video they look like downer cows. to me.
they are downer cows Floh.
ETA: that is the problem. they used these cruel methods to get the downer cows up on their feet to pass inspection.

I say people need to watch the video to understand how animals can be treated at slaughterhouses. :(

it's disgusting. it needs to be addressed and understood.

Hi Floh, I tried to watch video but, said video unvaliable at this time. I agree with you on this should be addressed. I'll try again later.

they are downer cows Floh.
ETA: that is the problem. they used these cruel methods to get the downer cows up on their feet to pass inspection.

Yes. they're in the food chain now. :(

it destroyed the British beef industry.

Hi Floh, I tried to watch video but, said video unvaliable at this time. I agree with you on this should be addressed. I'll try again later.

It probably being accessed by many at this moment in time. it's very, very sad. the film. :(

This was originally a local issue for me so I have been following it. Don't watch the videos if you don't think you should. It is really sad.

This really does need to be addressed; this reminds me of what Upton Sinclair wrote of, in "The Jungle".

I'm glad I don't eat much beef at all; when I do I try to buy from good sources. That is criminal to supply that kind of beef to school lunches.

I think I'm going to look more into the vegan diet.
I read that book in High School! :eek: I will never forget it!:eek:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel1987