FL - Mom Charged With Child Neglect After "Going On Strike" From Caring For Sons

White Rain

Reaction score
And then her sons "accost" reporters who were sent out to cover the story. video on link
Mom mentions she could get no help from the police or court systems for the unruly kids.

An Oscala, Fla., mother has been charged with child neglect after "going on strike" from taking care of her four boys, MyFOXOrlando reports. Melissa Dean became so frustrated with her out-of-control kids that she left home and moved in with her boyfriend.
FOX 35 in Orlando sent a reporter to the family's home to investigate the story, unaware that things were about to get so heated with the teen boys that they would have to call the police.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331690,00.html

Wow! What a family! Not quite willing to call out the authorities on this until I see exactly what help she asked for. Who would leave their kids like that?

The boy on camera is quite the charmer, but who knows how anyone would react? It's like their mother threw them to the wolves and now the reporter shows up with a spotlight??

Dr. Phil!! Get these people some help!!

i am sure this mom feels like she is at the end of her rope. the courts often dont offer enough help to parents before their child hurts someone. having said that ... this mom is short more than a few brain cells. first off i have to wonder how all 4 kids got so out of control. even the best parents can have problems from their kids but for all 4 of your kids to be so out of control that you run away shows that at least some of the blame can only be laid at moms feet. these boys did not spring from her grown. she created the type of people they are over all the years she raised them. what exactly did she think she would accomplish from shacking up with her boyfriend and leaving her kids to fend for themselves. did she really think the 13 year old could fend for himself in this house that was so crazy she couldnt live there? if she really thought these boys would do better with no supervision at all it proves my point about lack of brain cells. notice what mom list as the problems with her kids? not violence or drugs or their filthy mouths or lack of respect. she says she left her kids to live with some guy because they dont help around the house enough....

O.K. I'm no scholar, but I'd say this lady abandoned her children. You can't go "on strike". Mom's can't go on strike and leave four boys alone. I sure wouldn't be one of them neighbors. Are they supposed to help her too. Hey, I am sure she about lost her mind with all the mayhem, BUT is abandoning them the way to fix things? Uhhhhh, no. Here's a link for more and a picture of Melissa Dean the Walgreen's clerk who moved in "with a friend".http://www.local6.com/news/15357269/detail.html?123

Sounds to me like the older two could be terrorizing the younger boys in that home and it's being called fighting. I can believe that no one will help her if she tried to get one sent to some treatment or even a temporary place like Boy's Ranch. I've been through that and found no help and can honestly say that I might be tempted to do the same thing. I feel sorry for the woman if she's single with that many unruly boys, but she should never have left the two younger boys. The older ones, maybe for a day or so, then kick the oldest one out soon as he's 18 if he can't straighten up and do the same with the rest of them as they turn 18. Hope the charge doesn't ruin her management career with Walgreen's since she does need a job to pay for the boys' care and for herself.

I feel bad for her; it sounds like she was asking for help prior to no avail. Where is the Father in this picture?? That i think would answer a lot of the problem.

Heck, I'd be afraid to fall asleep in that home if I were the mom. I don't think the answer is moving in with the boyfriend though. That's just too easy for her.

MeoW is right, where is (are?) the father?

Less importantly, why would they send a female reporter to cover this story?!

Here is a thought why didnt she simply PARENT them??

They did not get "unruly" on their own .. they got that way due to lack of discipline which is the mothers fault.

I'm sure at some point she tried to parent them.. i wonder if it was a mob mentality type thing that her boys fed off each other and things just spiraled out of control. I think a lot of boys need a father figure in their lives at those ages (all 4 of their ages); it's possible their acting out got beyond the mother's control, as they needed their father in their lives. Hopefully we find out where their father(s) is/are. The idea of raising 4 boys alone, Good Lord i would pull my hair out!! Especially at those ages and out of control..

I'm sure at some point she tried to parent them.. i wonder if it was a mob mentality type thing that her boys fed off each other and things just spiraled out of control. I think a lot of boys need a father figure in their lives at those ages (all 4 of their ages); it's possible their acting out got beyond the mother's control, as they needed their father in their lives. Hopefully we find out where their father(s) is/are. The idea of raising 4 boys alone, Good Lord i would pull my hair out!! Especially at those ages and out of control..

I do agree that children need a father but I disagree that she tried to parent them.. Its not a one time thing.
Its an on going consistent pattern. As a parent she does not have the luxury of throwing her hands up (or at least she should not)
They did not turn into this over night.
Its obviously they have lacked discipline for a long long time.. I call that lazy parenting.
Yes, its a lot of hard work but she should have thought of that before having a bunch of children.

I do agree that children need a father but I disagree that she tried to parent them.. Its not a one time thing.
Its an on going consistent pattern. As a parent she does not have the luxury of throwing her hands up (or at least she should not)
Its obviously they have lacked discipline for a long long time.. I call that lazy parenting.
Yes, its a lot of hard work but she should have thought of that before having a bunch of children.

Totally agree, Amraann. Her style of parenting is exactly what got her kids on the news - she didn't feeling like dealing and she left. When I saw the video, my first thought was, 'that kid needs a short sharp shock!' But the truth is that kid probably never had a chance. She may have abandoned them repeatedly throughout their lives. God only knows what they have been through.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd like to hear more of her side of the story as well; i want to know how they all got so out of control. If she is a single mom with 4 teenage boys struggling to make ends meet, coming home exhausted at night, helping younger ones with homework.. somehow they older boys should have been helping mom with the chores and the younger ones if you ask me. I want to know what went wrong in this situation.

It is not the county,police or court systems job to raise/parent our children. It is our job! This is a responsibility we taken on when we become parents. I am a young single mother also and I get there are tough times and doing it alone can get exhausting and frustrating don't get me wrong.....

BUT I think a big part of it was she was VERY young mother she would have been 16 yo with the 1st......all 4 by the time she was 20 yo. She didn't have had the skills or the support to be a mother at that age.

http://www.local6.com/news/15357269/detail.html?123
"Melissa G. Dean, 33, was charged with child neglect after telling Ocala police and the Department of Children and Families that she leaves her children, ages 17, 16, 14 and 13, home alone."

She had no business ABANDING these children jsut because she couldn't handle them....I agree with other posters they didn't get like that all on their own.......I belive children are products of their parents

She had no business ABANDING these children jsut because she couldn't handle them....I agree with other posters they didn't get like that all on their own.......I belive children are products of their parents

The irony of that statement is that they probably did.

I know what you are saying, though. I could easily see how she lost control. If she was a single parent when the youngest was 5...that's 4 kids aged 5, 6, 8 & 9. Can you even imagine? lol, I cannot. However this is no excuse for just upping and leaving your greatest responsibility on this earth.

I am sure she learned her parenting skills from her parents.....let's see where were they when she got pregnant at 16 and then AGAIN at 17 and then 2 more times after that???????

I have said before and I will say it again - You have to have a license to fish, drive, hunt, cut hair, practice medicine and the list goes one...BUT ANYONE and I mean ANYONE can have children.

I'm betting she did it to force DCF's hand. You know, leave the kids alone all the time, etcetera. Cops get called. DCF steps in and removes the kids from their home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back