Identified! IL - Downers Grove, skeletal remains found, Feb'08 - Daniel Smiechowski

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
http://www.nbc5.com/news/15374583/detail.html?rss=chi&psp=news

Human Remains Found Under Snow, Ice In Woods

Police Find No Indication Of Connection To Missing Moms

DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. -- Recovery efforts have resumed Friday morning for frozen human skeletal remains found under accumulated snow and ice in a heavily wooded area of west suburban Downers Grove on Thursday.

More at link.
This isn't far from where John Spira went missing, and where he was supposed to meet a friend that night in Oak Brook, IL. It also isn't far from where Scott Arcaro went missing from Lisle IL.

I posted about this on Stacy's thread, but it could very well be one of those you mentioned. I am not familiar with the area so I don't know what is close in the other cases. I hope they can identify the remains soon so it brings some family a bit of closure and hope charges can be brought against the person or people responsible. :(

hi SS.
This is very close to both Good Samaratin Hospital in DG and just south of the I-88 Oak Brook corridor. An extremely expensive area. Immediately surrounding the location the remains were found are million dollar homes. Just east of of the location are multi million dollar homes - gated communities. It's within 10 min or so of exiting I-88 south at either Highland ( the longest light in DuPage county) or a little further east next exit I belive is Midwest Road. 88 is a toll road.

IMO, an unusual place to leave a body but maybe not as it is so close to the toll way.

ETA: 88 is first major east west toll/expressway North of I-55.

I don't know where else to ask this, but did they ever figure out who the person was that was found by the blue barrel in IL about a month ago? I can't remember how that ended! TIA!

I don't know where else to ask this, but did they ever figure out who the person was that was found by the blue barrel in IL about a month ago? I can't remember how that ended! TIA!

They did. It was a lady missing from one of the southern suburbs. I think she had a drug problem and was possibly a transient with family close by. She had been missing for a little while - reported missing by her mom ( an older lady )- but her missing never made news IIRC.

Ah, thanks, Cubby. I'm glad she was identified.

The DuPage County Coroner's Office has positively identified the skeletal remains discovered in the Lyman Woods Nature Preserve on Thursday.

The body was that of Daniel B. Smiechowski, 28, of Downers Grove.
Smiechowski was reported missing to Downers Grove Police on March 16, 2007.

At the time of the missing persons report, there was nothing to lead police investigators to believe that there was anything suspicious about Smiechowski's disappearance.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/downers.grove.vody.2.661342.html

I am glad he was identified and can go home to his family where he belongs. Bless his family and friends. :(

It sounds like the police didn't think anything of him going missing...which rather frosts me. Maybe now they will give him five minutes of their time!

WS friends, I was anxiously awaiting news of the body found in Downers Grove, Chicago this month. There were thoughts that this might be linked to John Spira's active missing case.

Sadly for another family, it transpires that the remains are those of Dan Smiechowski, who went missing from his home in Downers Grove around a year ago. Here is a link to more information and a video of Dan joyfully skateboarding.

http://bringdanback.blogspot.com/

It's very sad to me that mental health issues lead so many loved ones to leave home, or self medicate with drink and drugs, and so on... Dan's is a joyful life sadly robbed away from his family and friends.

Love and light and may angels bring comfort to his family and close ones,

Cx

Thank you for the update.
May Dan, the awesome skateboard man , rest in peace.
Thoughts are with his family and loved ones at this diffficult time.

Hoping for answers about John Spira soon.

I wonder how close he was found to him Mom's house?

Any one know how close the home was to the train station? Everything I have read said bloodhounds tracked his scent to a Train Station. The assumption by his family and friends was that he took off to Chicago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back