When NOT to call 911

Yeah, but once he pointed the gun at the police, they had to protect themselves. They might have known from the dispatcher that he was suicidal, but they couldn't know if he planned on taking someone else out with him.

It was a bad situation, but I don't fault the police.

There is a whole deal of death by police officer. He may have not wanted to pull the trigger himself, so did exactly what he needed to get LE to pull the trigger for him.

There is a whole deal of death by police officer. He may have not wanted to pull the trigger himself, so did exactly what he needed to get LE to pull the trigger for him.

Hi, that's exactly what went through my mind. He probably couldn't do it himself, so he thought of way for someone else to do it. It's a terrible thought but, I think there are a lot of suicides committed this way and people just don't realize it. JMHO

yeah, but LE also needs to take care of their own lives. if someone aims a gun at them, they're trained to shoot. even with a social worker there, if the man had aimed the gun at anyone, LE is supposed to shoot.

yeah, but LE also needs to take care of their own lives. if someone aims a gun at them, they're trained to shoot. even with a social worker there, if the man had aimed the gun at anyone, LE is supposed to shoot.

Of course. And, IMHO it's horribly unfair and cowardly. It's got to be horrible for the officers involved.

Suicide by cop - it happens too often. It seems to me he knew exactly what he was doing. It happens often, I believe, to those who are religious and think getting someone else to kill you absolves you from the whole suicide means going to hell idea. But obviously those aren't the only ones who use it to keep from having to do it themselves.

Suicide by cop - it happens too often. It seems to me he knew exactly what he was doing. It happens often, I believe, to those who are religious and think getting someone else to kill you absolves you from the whole suicide means going to hell idea. But obviously those aren't the only ones who use it to keep from having to do it themselves.

JMO, but I don't believe it would absolve him, he still had the intent to kill himself and made it worse, by forcing someone else to do it for him.

How sad . . . .

http://www.twincities.com/minnesota/ci_8354369
"It certainly could have been much different than it turned out," Hillstead said. "But obviously it's too early to make any qualified assumption as to the reason. But certainly it did appear his intent may have been to have an officer take his life."
A relative told an investigator that Sperl had become distraught earlier Saturday over "personal issues," Hillstead said. He said other than a few traffic convictions, Sperl did not have a criminal history.

Sperl's father, Gregory Sperl, of Inver Grove Heights, said his son had been living with his mother and her husband in Hammond since August. He previously lived in an apartment with a girlfriend.

He said his son was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving about two weeks ago in Inver Grove Heights, where he grew up.

"He hit me up for $5,000 that he needed for an attorney," Gregory Sperl said.

How tragic. He wanted to die, but couldn't do it., so someone else did. It's sad for everyone involved.

my heart breaks for those officers. i am sure they did walk out the door for work hoping to kill a sick person. they got a call and did their jobs. now they must live with this. what this guy did was so selfish. he not only hurt his family but these innocent officer only trying to do their jobs. unfortunately this man was ill enough to kill himself so i doubt he was well enough to foresee the pain his actions would cause to those around him. i wish his family had seen warning signs before it got to this point. now i fear they will spend the rest of their lives second guessing every thing that led up to this tragedy.

Yeah, but once he pointed the gun at the police, they had to protect themselves. They might have known from the dispatcher that he was suicidal, but they couldn't know if he planned on taking someone else out with him.

It was a bad situation, but I don't fault the police.
I don't either. When a gun is waved or pointed at someone...that is a threat and all means necessary should be taken to protect themselves, including shooting the person pointing the gun.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back