China killing Dogs For Food

Blondieskatz

Reaction score
I am so appalled with China. This is why I don't buy anything made in China. I started that boycott a few years ago when they were killing (brutally) dogs because of the rabies scare! :mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080218/lf_afp/oly2008chinaanimalsdogs_080218185050

PARIS, Feb 18, 2008 (AFP) - A French association of animal lovers on Monday launched a petition aimed at encouraging China to ban, by the Summer Olympics, the killing of dogs for food.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]
dcmaxversion = 9dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversionOne Voice said the practice of preparing canines for the pot often involves slow and brutal methods in which the animal is beaten to death, boiled alive or hung up to bleed while still breathing.
"This trade is widespread in China, even in large cities, although in Beijing, the authorities are trying to push it outside the city ahead of the Olympics," said Muriel Arnal, president and founder of One Voice.
The association said it had researched the practice for six months and then sent a team out across China for more than three weeks with the help of Chinese associates, filming and photographing dogs being cruelly put to death.
Several years ago, the backstreet butchers' targets of choice were Saint Bernards, but now the favourite dogs for slaughter are German shepherds, it said.
Stolen pets, some of them still bearing collars, were also being killed, it said.
One Voice said its online petition, launched on websites in France and Britain, aimed at pushing China to pass laws banning the killing of dogs, in time for the August Olympics.
Hong Kong, which is a special region of China, and Taiwan, which China views as a renegade province, both have laws banning the consumption of dogs, One Voice noted.

afp.com Photo: Cooked dog paws at a CXhinese restaurant. A French association of animal lovers on Monday...

On one hand, they slaughter thousands of dogs because they're scared of rabies. On the other hand, they cook and eat them. Yeah, that makes sense. :waitasec:

This is disgusting. I will be checking labels to make sure I buy NOTHING from those creeps. :furious:

This is disgusting, but it's nothing new. This has been going on for years in China. My dd had to do a major repost on China a few years back, and the abuse/killing of dogs is one thing she'll never forget.

And to think so many pet treats sold in major department stores are made in China. If it's not made in America, my dogs don't get it.

I do not buy China-made products and I check everything for country of manufacture. Why?

China has a HORRID human rights history - no need to elaborate.
China has a HORRID animal abuse history - not just pets and domestic animals (dogs, cats, turtles) but endangered species as well (bears,whales,tigers, sharks) - many wild animals and endangered species tortured and slaughtered for "traditional medicine" which doesn't work. We can thank China for Bird Flu and several other cross species plagues.
China has a HORRID environmental record - the country is so polluted with industrial waste and hazardous waste it's poisoning it's own land, wildlife, crops and animals - not to mention poisoning and killing Chinese adults and children by the thousands annually. And we should beware - it isn't the labeled products from China we should be concerned with, it's the poison they send here daily - hidden in food additives and spices!

China could CARE LESS about us, our pets or our animals - they have little regard for their own country or their own citizens - why would they care about poisoning US? When they permanently pollute their own country into an uninhabitable wasteland they will begin to move on their neighbors and finally to other continents. They have the largest supply of cannon fodder on the planet - they figure the WORLD is theirs.

IMO the US should be buying NOTHING from China until they can PROVE they have cleaned up their own country - and THAT isn't going to happen anytime soon unless the rest of the world shuts off their MONEY! And we should care not just about their human and animal rights issues but about their pollution because eventually the poison they spew into their air, water and soil without a care ends up in our air and our oceans - it affects ALL of us.

My Opinion

I find it amusing that it is French people who started the ruckus. Horse meat is eaten in France.

IMO they should not hold the August Olympics until China can respect human and animal rights. They should get no more business from the states until that happens.

i am no fan of china. their human rights history is sick. as for them killing dogs for food i am ok with that. growing up we raised killed and ate rabbits. my SIL has 1 for a pet now. to me it was food and her a pet. neither of us was wrong we just looked at it from different points of view. i dont see a huge difference between a large dog and a small pig except the dog is cuter in my eyes. i will not give up bacon because some people make pets of pigs. stealing someones pet and killing it for any reason is against the law and cruel. if you dont eat any meat fine. if you want to judge people based on how cute the meat is precooked i think we are crossing a line. next thing we know a group in India will protest my steak.

sherri79,
They don't kill they dogs quickly. If you read the story you would see how they are "cooked". I don't see that be ok about any animal- dogs or livestock.

sherri79,
They don't kill they dogs quickly. If you read the story you would see how they are "cooked". I don't see that be ok about any animal- dogs or livestock.
i recently saw a tape of sick animals being tortured so they could kill them for food. they would shock or kick or drag cows that are to weak to move then kill them and feed it to school children. the solution for the crime in this country was to shut the farm down. why would the solution in china be to stop eating dog instead of regulate the process?

i am no fan of china. their human rights history is sick. as for them killing dogs for food i am ok with that. growing up we raised killed and ate rabbits. my SIL has 1 for a pet now. to me it was food and her a pet. neither of us was wrong we just looked at it from different points of view. i dont see a huge difference between a large dog and a small pig except the dog is cuter in my eyes. i will not give up bacon because some people make pets of pigs. stealing someones pet and killing it for any reason is against the law and cruel. if you dont eat any meat fine. if you want to judge people based on how cute the meat is precooked i think we are crossing a line. next thing we know a group in India will protest my steak.
I don't know Sherri...I just can't go with killing dogs. :(

I don't know Sherri...I just can't go with killing dogs. :(
well i could never eat it. all i would be able to think of is Bambi my little pugle. i just dont see how asking them to stop eating it is right. i dont think of wilbur when i eat bacon but pot bellied pig owners might. i am all for if you live in our country you need to live by what we accept as a cultural norm. i am not in favor of shoving our culture down the throats of others unless the case is extreme. as long as we continue to eat meat from furry animals i cant blame them for picking a different furry creature.

Some people have a problem with us eating cows and pigs. I don't think anyone should be judged by what they eat. I think there are a lot of better reasons to boycott China than this.

Some people have a problem with us eating cows and pigs. I don't think anyone should be judged by what they eat. I think there are a lot of better reasons to boycott China than this.

Hello there voice of reason.

Wasn't there just a large recall of beef because of horrifying conditions at a slaughterhouse in Calif.:waitasec: We need to clean up our own backyard.

On one hand, they slaughter thousands of dogs because they're scared of rabies. On the other hand, they cook and eat them. Yeah, that makes sense. :waitasec:

This is disgusting. I will be checking labels to make sure I buy NOTHING from those creeps. :furious:

I've been trying to go "China Free" since before Christmas when we had the scares with lead and GHB and other contaminants in toys from China. I was still reeling from the dog food they'd shipped over here to kill all OUR pets, then I discovered our babies aren't safe, either. The double whammy was enough to sour me on their products.

It is very, very hard to find everything I need from other sources. I am trying but sometimes I have to give in. What I need to look for is a good website that lists alternatives.....

This is not new.

During WWII, General Douglas MacArthur, while touring China, observed Chinese soldiers with dogs. He thought it was pretty cool until someone explained to him that this was their food supply.

Unfortunately, this isn't anything new. Remember all the rumors years ago about why dogs seem to hang around Chinese resturants?
Below is from wikipedia.
Check this out-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

In some countries, apart from being kept as pets, certain breeds of dogs are raised on farms and slaughtered for their meat. Dog meat may be consumed as an alternative source of meat or for specific medicinal benefits attributed to various parts of a dog. In parts of the world where dogs are kept as pets, people generally consider the use of dogs for food to be a social taboo.

I'm of a like opinion, Sherri - though I am sure neither of us advocate torturing the meat before we eat it. There's no need for that. Still - different cultures have different ideas about what "meat" is appropriate for human consumption.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back