Law Enforcement/the Brianna case

KR2tonenow

Reaction score
Hi, this one is for SQ!

~I admire a few posters on here. One is SQ and the other is SS. These posters have valuable insight and add much to the discussion.~

With that said, after viewing other missing persons cases from "Other possible Victims" thread, I wonder why haven't these women been in the press more? Why didn't the RPD announce the woman that was raped last October. Why the secrecy?

It wasn't until the highly profiled case of Brianna Dennsion, did RPD come out and publicly say :hey, we have a serial rapist on our hands. It is hard for me to swallow, when you have RPD, countless volunteers, and the community looking for ONE guy, and there is absolutely no leads until Bri turned up in a field one day.

I think I can speak for alot of posters here, that we are mainly very frustrated. More communication and public awareness is key, for all persons visting or living to be aware of the possibility of a violent encounter. This must be avoided and maybe, just maybe Bri would have locked that darn door!!

Hi, this one is for SQ!

~I admire a few posters on here. One is SQ and the other is SS. These posters have valuable insight and add much to the discussion.~

With that said, after viewing other missing persons cases from "Other possible Victims" thread, I wonder why haven't these women been in the press more? Why didn't the RPD announce the woman that was raped last October. Why the secrecy?

It wasn't until the highly profiled case of Brianna Dennsion, did RPD come out and publicly say :hey, we have a serial rapist on our hands. It is hard for me to swallow, when you have RPD, countless volunteers, and the community looking for ONE guy, and there is absolutely no leads until Bri turned up in a field one day.

I think I can speak for alot of posters here, that we are mainly very frustrated. More communication and public awareness is key, for all persons visting or living to be aware of the possibility of a violent encounter. This must be avoided and maybe, just maybe Bri would have locked that darn door!!

You may want to rethink that. There were leads before Brianna's body was found. There were publicly stated in numerous media outlets.

I really don't think that she would have been watching the news. It is common sense that college campuses are magnets for sexual crimes. Yet, it was common place for this door to remain unlocked.

You may want to rethink that. There were leads before Brianna's body was found. There were publicly stated in numerous media outlets.

I really don't think that she would have been watching the news. It is common sense that college campuses are magnets for sexual crimes. Yet, it was common place for this door to remain unlocked.

exactly Dad......

& about the October rape....one woman thought it was a prank, THEN she called LE back....the other attack on October 22nd, there was no evidence, however LE have not dismissed this attack as being related to Brianna's, & neither have i.... (although some here think it has nothing to do with Brianna's case)

LE can't read into the future....they can't yell "serial rapist" at the drop of a hat...they can't save us all...they have a hard job, all over the country.....bashing LE isn't going to solve this crime, & help catch this freak, ..they have to go over & over & over evidence, talk to hundreds of people, ask the public for help, talk to the victims, tie things together, send things off to a lab, yada yada yada......anyone that thinks they're smarter than the Reno LE, needs to go there & become a cop, & 'save' them.....

What's really bad is when LE doesn't tell the public of certain MO's. Some years ago here, a serial rapist was active. He would break in and then come back a few days later to rape. Women were raped who had no idea that the "burglar" would return to rape and one ended up committing suicide.

Thank you, KR2...not only for the positive comments, but starting this thread.

I agree and I am very frustrated with LE in this particular case. I have made that point perfectly clear in spite of the objections to my opinions.

They did not treat the other cases with such urgency and, until Brianna went missing, didn't bother to run the DNA to consider a match for a serial rapist.

We don't know what would have happened to victim #2 if she were to have stayed in Reno and been at home when he came back on January 19th. They put her case on a back burner and did not turn up the heat until after another abduction.

When they went back to reinterview her, she remembered valuable and detailed information not to catch HER abductor...but Brianna's. The same goes for victim #1. I wonder what their thoughts are on how this played out?

Since Brianna was staying at a parent's home, if it had been on the local news...I would think the parent would have given a warning to her daughter before going out. I know most parents would make sure their 19yo daughter, when knowingly going to an area where a rapist was specifically targeting her age and type, would be aware and alerting her to be extra-careful or recommend she come home after the night out. I don't believe her mother would have hesitated about picking her up at any hour! No, I don't think Bri listens to the news, but coming from her mother...she might have listened and taken certain precautions.

I was a college student many years ago..human nature and stalkers do not change. I was stalked on my campus and LE had said nothing about the incidents that had already occured. Luckily for me one of my classes that I took at night on the campus was attended by an LE detective. Once he found out about phone calls and different things that had happened to me he proceded to walk me back to my dorm each night. That was the only way they caught the rapist that was on my campus..this was 1972 and it seems to me that hasn't changed much.
JMHO

No, it doesn't seem to have changed much.

During the past 20 years, I have seen some positive changes on how crimes against women are taken more seriously than before. This hasn't come without women fighting legally for those changes to be put into place, however.

Today, they will take action which means...they take a report, do a rape kit, and if they happen to run across him during the commission of another crime...they may charge him. Some areas of the country are better at handling rape cases than others.

No, it doesn't seem to have changed much.

During the past 20 years, I have seen some positive changes on how crimes against women are taken more seriously than before. This hasn't come without women fighting legally for those changes to be put into place, however.

Today, they will take action which means...they take a report and if they happen to run across him during the commission of another crime...they may charge him. Sound familiar?

LE is doing a goodjob on this case.

LE is doing a goodjob on this case.
>
I agree with you dad, I also agree with your original post before it was censored. I'm not trying to rip on anyone here, but apparently posting 20 times a day buys you some clout. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and to post it, but when that opinion is clouded by emotion, it becomes grandstanding more than a discussion.

>
I agree with you dad, I also agree with your original post before it was censored. I'm not trying to rip on anyone here, but apparently posting 20 times a day buys you some clout. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and to post it, but when that opinion is clouded by emotion, it becomes grandstanding more than a discussion.
I assume you are talking about me. If I choose to post 100 times a day, I have no more clout than the person who posts once. I even have to be more careful to follow the rules because they will tos me first as I should know better. I put a lot of thought into what I post and try to stay away from "grandstanding", as you put it. My opinions do differ from other posters because we don't all see the world the same.

I am passionate about certain topics because of experience, mine and other's. If we do nothing here besides learn from people who have faced crime and violence in this lifetime in order to move forward to help prevent it occurring to someone else...I think it is a positive thing.

This site is full of people who are here because tragedy hit too close to home and they are looking for answers. Trying to find those answers, we go into areas which may be uncomfortable or even painful for some.

This isn't an editorial page, a crime novel, or a legal forum to debate case law. We deal with real life issues affecting millions of people touched by a missing loved one, a murdered friend, or others we don't even know but feel so much compassion for. We all want to help find some answers and perhaps bring a missing person home, find justice for a murdered child, or question what is wrong with this country that we have millions of people go missing without a trace. With the latter, I have serious questions about why and how this can happen time after time after time.

What are we doing wrong? How can this happen in the age of instant news, cutting edge technology, and in the most civilized society in the world? Go look at the faces of our missing or unidentified. Pages and pages and pages of people who have vanished seemingly into thin air. Where are they and how can we bring them home? Who are the people responsible? What can we learn from one case to apply to the next to prevent another tragedy? If it means questioning how LE handles a case, our perception of feeling safe in our surroundings, and how we can combat such violence...we should go down every possible avenue to find the answers.

Hiding your head in the sand and pretending that all is well with our law enforcement agencies or that the overall ills of our society are not part of the problem lacks intelligence and puts blinders on the very things which need to be fixed. We have a serious problem which needs to be addressed on many levels.

Thank you, KR2...not only for the positive comments, but starting this thread.

I agree and I am very frustrated with LE in this particular case. I have made that point perfectly clear in spite of the objections to my opinions.

They did not treat the other cases with such urgency and, until Brianna went missing, didn't bother to run the DNA to consider a match for a serial rapist.

We don't know what would have happened to victim #2 if she were to have stayed in Reno and been at home when he came back on January 19th. They put her case on a back burner and did not turn up the heat until after another abduction.

When they went back to reinterview her, she remembered valuable and detailed information not to catch HER abductor...but Brianna's. The same goes for victim #1. I wonder what their thoughts are on how this played out?

Since Brianna was staying at a parent's home, if it had been on the local news...I would think the parent would have given a warning to her daughter before going out. I know most parents would make sure their 19yo daughter, when knowingly going to an area where a rapist was specifically targeting her age and type, would be aware and alerting her to be extra-careful or recommend she come home after the night out. I don't believe her mother would have hesitated about picking her up at any hour! No, I don't think Bri listens to the news, but coming from her mother...she might have listened and taken certain precautions.

The rape at the college was on the local news. As I said before I have two co-workers with 19 yr old daughters that go to UNR. One I specifically remember talking about buying her daughter a tazer for Christmas.

Also want to add I am a Mom of teen girls - everything I tell my girls they do - NOT!
What makes you think that SS, seriously?

We also tell our teens not to have sex and more specifically unprotected sex -
Not to drink and drive -
Not to do drugs -
Pick up their room -
Do your homework -
etc, etc,etc.
I remember my Mom telling me not to go somewhere as a teen. I climbed out the window and did it anyway. Many times.

How do you know her Mom didn't warn her?

I assume you are talking about me. If I choose to post 100 times a day, I have no more clout than the person who posts once. I even have to be more careful to follow the rules because they will tos me first as I should know better. I put a lot of thought into what I post and try to stay away from "grandstanding", as you put it. My opinions do differ from other posters because we don't all see the world the same.

I am passionate about certain topics because of experience, mine and other's. If we do nothing here besides learn from people who have faced crime and violence in this lifetime in order to move forward to help prevent it occurring to someone else...I think it is a positive thing.

This site is full of people who are here because tragedy hit too close to home and they are looking for answers. Trying to find those answers, we go into areas which may be uncomfortable or even painful for some.

This isn't an editorial page, a crime novel, or a legal forum to debate case law. We deal with real life issues affecting millions of people touched by a missing loved one, a murdered friend, or others we don't even know but feel so much compassion for. We all want to help find some answers and perhaps bring a missing person home, find justice for a murdered child, or question what is wrong with this country that we have millions of people go missing without a trace. With the latter, I have serious questions about why and how this can happen time after time after time.

What are we doing wrong? How can this happen in the age of instant news, cutting edge technology, and in the most civilized society in the world? Go look at the faces of our missing or unidentified. Pages and pages and pages of people who have vanished seemingly into thin air. Where are they and how can we bring them home? Who are the people responsible? What can we learn from one case to apply to the next to prevent another tragedy? If it means questioning how LE handles a case, our perception of feeling safe in our surroundings, and how we can combat such violence...we should go down every possible avenue to find the answers.

Hiding your head in the sand and pretending that all is well with our law enforcement agencies or that the overall ills of our society are not part of the problem lacks intelligence and puts blinders on the very things which need to be fixed. We have a serious problem which needs to be addressed on many levels.

:clap: :clap:

Families of Victims of Crimes have the support on this forum. The voices here, however expressed, speak out for those that can't hear, who are missing and perhaps forever sleeping.

Thanks. SS

My sister was murdered in 1986 - Never been solved. All these years I have been blaming the actual killer. Should I switch my blame to LE? Will that make me feel better? I don't think so.

[/B]

The rape at the college was on the local news. As I said before I have two co-workers with 19 yr old daughters that go to UNR. One I specifically remember talking about buying her daughter a tazer for Christmas.

Also want to add I am a Mom of teen girls - everything I tell my girls they do - NOT!
What makes you think that SS, seriously?

We also tell our teens not to have sex and more specifically unprotected sex -
Not to drink and drive -
Not to do drugs -
Pick up their room -
Do your homework -
etc, etc,etc.
I remember my Mom telling me not to go somewhere as a teen. I climbed out the window and did it anyway. Many times.

How do you know her Mom didn't warn her?
I am a parent of five grown children and step-children. My youngest is 19 and is in college. The years they pretended not to listen to me have paid off tenfold and they have actually thanked me several times for the advice I never thought they heard...but I gave anyway. They never have done drugs (we discuss it openly and always have), they do their homework (as one is a 4.0 student in grad school and the other on the President's Honor Roll in college), they don't drink nor do they allow their friends to drive if they are aware they are drinking, one is a policeman, the other two are responsible, successful parents who are now worried about teaching their own, and quite frankly...I am very proud of them all. You asked me why I seriously think that...and I have given you my reasons.

I am glad it was on local television at least once before Christmas, but I would like to know more of how much they pursued the first two attacks. They didn't have the information to go on that they learned of in late January...so what were they looking for before then?!

Brianna was an intelligent girl with a good head on her shoulders from everything we have heard about her. She sounds just like the type I would expect to pay heed to a warning that a rapist was attacking specific females in the small area of KT's apartment...however, they did not KNOW that at the time because LE had not put it together until she went missing. How could she have warned her?

I am sorry to hear about your sister. I can't begin to imagine the emation you have had to justly deal with. I hope I am not getting too personal.

We all would like to live in a better world. I don't think condeming those that are trying to make it a better place is the way to improve it. How does that motivate? How does that add to a better world?

Others may have had to endure deeper pain than I have.

I am a parent of five grown children and step-children. My youngest is 19 and is in college. The years they pretended not to listen to me have paid off tenfold and they have actually thanked me several times for the advice I never thought they heard...but I gave anyway. They never have done drugs (we discuss it openly and always have), they do their homework (as one is a 4.0 student in grad school and the other on the President's Honor Roll in college), they don't drink nor do they allow their friends to drive if they are aware they are drinking, one is a policeman, the other two are responsible, successful parents who are now worried about teaching their own, and quite frankly...I am very proud of them all. You asked me why I seriously think that...and I have given you my reasons.

I am glad it was on local television at least once before Christmas, but I would like to know more of how much they pursued the first two attacks. They didn't have the information to go on that they learned of in late January...so what were they looking for before then?!

Brianna was an intelligent girl with a good head on her shoulders from everything we have heard about her. She sounds just like the type I would expect to pay heed to a warning that a rapist was attacking specific females in the small area of KT's apartment...however, they did not KNOW that at the time because LE had not put it together until she went missing. How could she have warned her?

I think I see where you are coming from. However, Brianna did sllep beside an unlocked door close to a college campus. Obviously, she should have known better than that. At that age, sound judgement is sometimes lacking.

My sister was murdered in 1986 - Never been solved. All these years I have been blaming the actual killer. Should I switch my blame to LE? Will that make me feel better? I don't think so.
Rolex, I am very sorry for your loss. Nothing I can say will bring justice to your sister or your family, but hopefully...the things we do now can pave the way for other families not to endure what your family has.

We all know that in 1986, technology wasn't available to the extent it is today to help solve crimes. The media wasn't accessed instantly on the internet and the wheels didn't turn very quickly. While I don't know about how LE responded in your sister's case, you make it sound like you are totally satisfied with the way her case was handled. I am glad you can take comfort in knowing that. I am sure I would not be able to feel the same way given it was never solved.

SS, I was talking about teens in general, Not my teens, not your teens. If they all heeded all the warnings parents gave them, nothing would ever happen to teenagers, and we all know that is not real life.

My sister didn't do any of those things either. I'm sure there are thousands of victums who never do anything wrong. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back