Website
www.facebook.com
scamurra_nancy.jpg
scamurra_nancy_ap.jpg

Missing Since: July 1, 1984 from Amherst, New York
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: April 27, 1970
Height and Weight: 5'6, 150 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Scamurra has facial dimples and freckles across her nose. She has a half-inch scar under her chin and a gap between her front teeth.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white shirt and blue and white shorts.
Medical Conditions: Scamurra has calcium build-up on her bones, particularly on her right knee.

Details of Disappearance

Scamurra was last seen at her family's Amherst, New York residence at approximately 9:30 p.m. on July 1, 1984. She has never been heard from again.

Originally, Scamurra's case was classified as that of a runaway, because she was having personal problems at the time of her disappearance. Investigators eventually came to believe she had met with foul play. Her family has reportedly refused to cooperate with police in her disappearance and has hired an attorney. They maintain their innocence in her case, however. Scamurra's case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Amherst Police Department
716-689-1322

Charley Project
NCMEC

If Nancy Scamurra is alive today, she's 41 years old, and she spent the last 27 years on the run, in hiding, perhaps, with a new identity.

The disappearance of 14-year-old Nancy Scamurra from her Amherst neighborhood, on July 1, 1984, continues to baffle -- even haunt -- some veteran and retired Amherst detectives.

"My gut tells me she's no longer alive, but we always hold out hope," said Detective Lt. Joseph LaCorte, commander of the Amherst Police Special Victims Unit.

It's one of three cases that sat unsolved for years in Amherst, sticking in the craw of longtime detectives, along with the bike path rape case and the 1991 stabbing death of a Wendy's night manager on Transit Road.

Of those three, only the bike path case has been solved.

So what happened to Nancy Scamurra, who was last seen walking toward a busy street on a summer evening in a suburb known for being safe?

"It's still just a big question mark," Detective Sgt. Michael N. Torrillo said

more at link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/amherst/article464894.ece

At 14, Nancy couldn't drive, and it seems that if she left all her belongings at home, that would've included any money. Did she have any older friends with cars? A boyfriend?

my thoughts and prayers are with the family of this little girl today. I was very familiar with the case, as my sister's disappearance was reported to the Oswego County Sheriff's Department, and all cases in the 80s have been considered. I hope that at the very least, her family can begin to grieve the loss of their precious girl. Rest in peace Nancy. You will finally be brought home. I hope that whoever did this to you is brought to justice.

Poor Nancy Jo. I have seen her suggested as a possibility for several possible Jane Does. I always hoped she was alive.

I wonder if Nancy was a victim of Altemio Sanchez aka The Bikepath Rapist.

She was last seen right near his area where he was known to operate. AFAIK, none of his other victims were found in the lake. But then again, at this time, as far as we know today, he had committed several rapes, but no murders I don't think. Perhaps this was his actually his first murder and he panicked? I think one if his victims was a teenage girl from Sweet Home High, and that was back in the mid 80's. I need to try and find that thread on here and confirm that.

If you map out where Sanchez lived on Allendale in Cheektowaga, where Scamurra lived on Scamridge in Amherst, and the Ellicot Creek bike path, where some of Sanchez' crimes took place, it's really pretty scary. Sanchez mainly chose victims in their teens and early 20's. Two of his known. victims were 14 year old girls.

Lots of good info in this book...http://books.google.com/books?id=Yl...wBDgK#v=onepage&q=bikepath rapist map&f=false

my thoughts and prayers are with the family of this little girl today. I was very familiar with the case, as my sister's disappearance was reported to the Oswego County Sheriff's Department, and all cases in the 80s have been considered. I hope that at the very least, her family can begin to grieve the loss of their precious girl. Rest in peace Nancy. You will finally be brought home. I hope that whoever did this to you is brought to justice.

So sad!

How come though the article says a man discovered the remains just a few weeks after Nancy's dissaperence, but it took until 2012 for the DNA testing to complete? You mean that her family and loved ones had to wait 28 YEARS for closure? Or, I wonder if LE knew about it years ago, and is just being reported to the press now?

The link to the story:

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP92a7b23cb5dc459caeb0e7e85f70f888.html

Satch

So sad!

How come though the article says a man discovered the remains just a few weeks after Nancy's dissaperence, but it took until 2012 for the DNA testing to complete? You mean that her family and loved ones had to wait 28 YEARS for closure? Or, I wonder if LE knew about it years ago, and is just being reported to the press now?

The link to the story:

Satch

I too wondered why so long. IMO, the answer is federal funding has recently become available by way of NamUs and in order to qualify for that funding the MP and UID must both be entered into NamUs.

According to the article it sounds like the authorities just recently obtained DNA from the jane doe, despite the UID being found so close to the time Nancy Jo went missing.

Based on information in the article, it sounds as if this case is one which could only be identified through dna which might explain the long wait.

Prayers said for Nancy Jo's family, they have answers and can bring their loved one home now- although this is not the answer anyone hoped for. Also praying justice comes for Nancy Jo.

Sleep peacefully Nancy Jo.

Girl's torso identified with help of database

For nearly a quarter of a century, the identity of a headless torso found floating in Lake Ontario off Oswego County remained a mystery.

All authorities knew was that the body belonged to a white female under 40 who was between 5 feet and 6 feet tall.

During those same 24 years, the family of a missing Amherst teenager endured the agony of not knowing what had happened to the girl.

A nationwide missing persons database - and a description of calcium building in the girl's right knee - helped finally solve at least part of the mystery by giving a name to the torso.

[snip]

Brunelli was using a database called the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, which was set up by the Justice Department. [NamUs]

More: http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/amherst/article959487.ece

So sad!

The link to the story:

Satch

I have not read the wsj article. However, I can tell you with certainty, that politics, media, and timing is an enormous factor. My sister has been missing for nearly 32 years. (missing since 11-30-1980) and her case was not fully accepted and properly entered into any state's missing persons files until 1985. The report was taken in 1983, at the Oswego County Sheriff's department (she was last seen in Baltimore, MD, was residing in New York City at the time of disappearance, but her legal residence and the residence of my parents was still Oswego, NY)

There is a case - Midtown Doe - that was high profile for a while - isn't anymore - because the investigator on the case retired. There are many strong ties to that case with my sister. The DNA of the two has been "in process" of comparison since last AUGUST. A year has gone by -- a YEAR has passed since the two were connected. Can you imagine the public outcry if my sister was a cute little 3 year old girl ? Or if she was a celebrity or politician's daughter? There are THOUSANDS of unidentified, unclaimed bodies and parts - and once all the data are collected it will likely be hundreds of thousands. Simply unclaimed. Forgotten - at least until now.

NaMUs gives families like mine hope that one day we can get Judy back and give her a proper burial and let her rest in peace, at home, in a marked grave. It has been years of searching morgues, contacting local authorities, putting Judy's name in front of newspapers and the media, investigators and gruesome mass murder sites. I hope that one of them will produce the results we long to hear: We have found your sister (or her remains).

Missing persons, without the cooperation of all authorities, is a joke. If one precinct decides to withhold information, for whatever reason, it does not make its way into the hands of people who need it. It's preposterous that NaMUs isn't required in all 50 states.

I'm sorry. I'm a little passionate about this. Why did a sheriff enter the information on my sister, only to find out that it was never actually entered? How much time did that cost us? If this girl's body was right under peoples' noses all along -- why didn't they check her against this missing girl right away? I don't know.

I know that as soon as I heard about the corpse, I called -- and was told there was no way it could be Judy because of some genetic disorder (can't remember the specifics but Judy was ruled out right away).

It's sickening and maddening that that poor girl's family had to suffer not knowing this long, but thank God they can finally lay her to rest.

This case absolutely infuriates me. So it wasn't the DNA, NamUs and internet days. Well it wasn't the days of the Pony Express either.

120 miles away. July 14. 13 days after she went missing. Same state. So tell me again how this took 28 years???????

Let's see what we had back then:

Phones
Newspapers
TV
Commercial radio stations
LE radios
HAM radios
CB/trucker radios
LE teletypes (hope that is the right word)
BOLOs
Etc.

Yet no one could put anything together????? Yes, I know it was simply a torso. It might not have been 100 percent due to no dental records or DNA. But they would have been able to do some testing and clearly the DNA could have been started years ago. If only...

Has anyone looked at how close 120 miles is? One of my daily papers growing up came from a town 250 miles away. I knew who was murdered and missing. And it included local blurbs too for your region of the state. This sounds like someone didn't just drop the ball, they threw it and walked the other direction.

Now off my rant, I was confused how he used the knee calcium to make a match when he said there were no arms or legs, just a torso???

And kudos to those in the recent past who took the time to put this together. I put the blame for the delay squarely on those people from 28 yrs ago. Yes, I know hindsight is 20/20, but this is unreal. This poor family could have been spared 20+ years of agony.

This case absolutely infuriates me. So it wasn't the DNA, NamUs and internet days. Well it wasn't the days of the Pony Express either.

120 miles away. July 14. 13 days after she went missing. Same state. So tell me again how this took 28 years???????

Let's see what we had back then:

Phones
Newspapers
TV
Commercial radio stations
LE radios
HAM radios
CB/trucker radios
LE teletypes (hope that is the right word)
BOLOs
Etc.

Yet no one could put anything together????? Yes, I know it was simply a torso. It might not have been 100 percent due to no dental records or DNA. But they would have been able to do some testing and clearly the DNA could have been started years ago. If only...

Has anyone looked at how close 120 miles is? One of my daily papers growing up came from a town 250 miles away. I knew who was murdered and missing. And it included local blurbs too for your region of the state. This sounds like someone didn't just drop the ball, they threw it and walked the other direction.

Now off my rant, I was confused how he used the knee calcium to make a match when he said there were no arms or legs, just a torso???

And kudos to those in the recent past who took the time to put this together. I put the blame for the delay squarely on those people from 28 yrs ago. Yes, I know hindsight is 20/20, but this is unreal. This poor family could have been spared 20+ years of agony.

I so hear you. I SO hear you. why would MD not take my sister's case? What about NYC? Why did they say "no" to taking my sister's missing persons case? Cue W.T.F? One of the problems is the fifedom. Precincts don't want to share. It's insane. It's stupid. It's maddening. It cost this family 28 years.

I wonder if my sister's body will ever be found -- or if it's in some unknown tomb, if it will ever be exhumed, or if her DNA is on file, whether it will ever be matched. It's INSANE that from a suburb of Buffalo (on the lake) to Oswego (the only port city on Lake Ontario) this girl wasn't matched 28 years ago. INSANE.

I'm still a little in shock over the fact that they IDed her. This story has been quiet local lore. It always stuck out to me because I think the first time I heard it I was around Nancy's age, and she disappeared in 84 and I was born in 82. The family has never seem to be "open," or forthcoming which added a strangeness to it. I was just drawn to her from the things I did know.

I've tried to put pieces of Nancy's story together for years and could never find much. I thought they'd never find her, or some kids would stumble over bones in woods somewhere. When I opened the paper to see that picture that I know so well on the front page, I was speechless. I'm so happy Nancy was IDed.

I, too, find it baffling that no one put two and two together over the body found just days later. I am with you guys on this - just as appalled!

Who did this to that poor vulnerable girl?

It's baffling no one Id'd her for 28 years...especially since she was found 2 weeks later. How many more like that are there? This is just like most cases-like Boulder Jane Doe Id'd as Dorothy Howard, remains not found that long after she vanished, or Jeanne Melville, found a month after she vanished but not Id'd for decades and decades...
At least there's closure. Now time for justice for Nancy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back