Identified! NY - Abandoned baby in NYC cab - Living minor child

dimples37398

Reaction score
Police say he ditched the baby in the backseat of a livery cab. He got in the car on 105th and 106th streets and said he had to go to Manhattan.

But then the man, in his 20s, said he had to make a phone call. He got out and never came back, leaving the precious bundle alone. The livery driver, Klever Sailema, took the baby to Engine 289, where she promptly turned a group of tough firefighters to mush.

But no one will be adopting her until detectives figure out what happened to her own parents. Someone loved her enough to pierce her tiny ears and keep her well-fed, free of diaper rash and happy.

More at link.........

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=5987719

What a beautiful little baby girl. I hope they identify her soon and find out who her parents are. I bet there are so many families who would love to adopt her.

Yeah I agree, as good as she was taken care of I wouldn't doubt someone in her family looking for her pretty quickly....

Maybe a case of dad got in some trouble when he got out of the cab and couldnt come back.....

From the news report I saw (spoken by cabbie through translator~dad said mom abandoned the baby with him and he was going to give the baby up to someone he just didn't know who) I hope the dad didn't kill the mom and then abandon the baby.

Well as much as I hate to say it at least they didn't just throw her out with the trash. I hope she finds a good loving home.

This makes no sense!!! I am not sure if NY has it but NJ (just a short cab ride away) has a Safe Haven Law. The baby could have been dropped at any police, fire station or hospital - no questions asked - no charges filed.

This makes no sense!!! I am not sure if NY has it but NJ (just a short cab ride away) has a Safe Haven Law. The baby could have been dropped at any police, fire station or hospital - no questions asked - no charges filed.

I think she was to old for the safe haven law to apply.

The cabbie was trying to help some friends get rid of an unwanted baby. The mom is 14 and the dad is twice her age.

NYC Cops: Baby Abandonment Tale Was Hoax

Saturday, March 1, 2008
NEW YORK - A cabdriver who dropped off a baby at a firehouse, claiming someone had left her in his car, was arrested Saturday and charged with making up the tale to help an overwhelmed family abandon the child.

Klever Sailema had been hailed as a good Samaritan after he dropped the baby off Thursday in Queens, saying the child, who was about 6 months old, had been left in his livery cab by a stranger.

The case had captivated the city after pictures of the adorable baby girl - who police now say was born to a 14-year-old girl and a man nearly twice her age - were published in newspapers and broadcast on TV.

The cabbie had told investigators his fare was a nervous-looking man who had gotten in carrying the baby and a diaper bag, then disappeared after asking the driver to pull over so he could make a phone call.

Sailema, 44, provided enough detail that police released a sketch of the suspect. He repeated his tale to reporters at a news conference on Friday.

Police didn't immediately say what broke the case open, but a family friend, Stuart Caban, said he took the teenage mother to police Friday evening after finding her walking in the Bronx, carrying a newspaper with her daughter's picture and sobbing.

"She was depressed, scared, crying. She loved her daughter. She wanted to be with her," said Caban, a 23-year-old bail bondsman.

The girl told her she hadn't wanted to leave the baby but ran away after a violent fight with the father, Caban said.

A superintendent at the Bronx apartment building where the couple lived, Saul Navarro, 43, said the baby's father had been distraught in recent days, complaining that the mother had run off and that he couldn't care for the child alone. Navarro said that he helped the family find a baby sitter, but that she was able to care for the child for only a few days.

Sailema became involved because he was dating the father's 21-year-old sister, police said. Investigators believe she persuaded the cabdriver to help her family abandon the baby.

Sailema was charged Saturday with filing a false report, and he and his girlfriend were charged with criminal faciliation. Fernando Mateo, a spokesman for the New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers, said the group was trying to arrange for a lawyer for Sailema.

The baby has been placed in a foster home.

The baby's mother will probably not face charges because of her age, said police spokesman Paul Browne. Investigators were still hunting for the child's 27-year-old father late Saturday.

The driver federation's Mateo, who had championed Sailema as a hero earlier in the week, said he felt betrayed but wouldn't condemn the cabbie.

"I am looking at a desperate man who was trying to help a desperate family," Mateo said.

---

Associated Press writer Clare Trapasso contributed to this report

Cabbie was in on plot to abandon baby. Baby's mother was just a teenager.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,334268,00.html

Why not just put her up for adoption? Why the big lie?

Maybe their culture demands they must protect the 14 year old's reputation?

Either way, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Father God! Thank you that this little one was not harmed, that the family took steps to ensure she'd be safely cared for. So many times we read of people who chose the "other way."

EDITING TO ADD:

Oh, I just read the last article. This poor little mommy didn't even know what was happening! I hope she gets reunited with her baby girl.

This family, they sure do like older men for their daughters don't they? The 21 year old is dating the cabbie....and he doesn't look like a spring chicken to me, and the 14 year old has a baby with a man twice her age....and flees after a 'violent fight.' Instead of protecting her reputation, it sounds like a culture that maybe "represses" its women.

OMG CNN is reporting right now the cab driver lied, he knew the parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back