CT CT - Deborah Lee Spickler, 13, Vernon, 24 July 1968

Richard

Reaction score
There isn't much information provided in the below case file. Debra was one of several young girls who disappeared from this same area of Connecticut in the space of only a few years. It is very possible that her case was related to cases of the other missing girls.

----------------------------------------
Debra Spickler
Missing since July 24, 1968 from Henry Park, Connecticut
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old

Circumstances of Disappearance

Debbie Spickler, of Mystic, was visiting a relative in Vernon when she disappeared from Henry Park on July 24, 1968.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Vernon Police Department
860-872-9126

Source Information:

Connecticut's Cold Cases
The Hartford Courant 1993
The Doe Network: Case File 2472DFCT

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2472dfct.html

My initial thoughts are that Vernon is not very far from Tolland, CT, and is right off of I-84.

I am living in an area near Tolland/Vernon CT. These towns literally blend into one another now...but I am sure that back in '68 there were sections that were still farmland. This crime (and the other girls who have gone missing ) strikes me as so unusual because this area of CT has very little crime...even now. This part of CT is ever referred to as the ''Quiet Corner.'' Both towns are outside of Hartford and are solidly middle class communities. That there were a series of children missing/murdered within a few years time span is very remarkable, and I think it is a very real possibility that these cases are connected. I do not know if that possiblity has been investigated by either LE agency.

It has been 40 years since Debra disappeared.

Thank you Bfstandifer.

Welcome to Websleuths :)

The description on Charley Project says that Debra was last seen at a swimming pool. I wonder if they ever interviewed others who were also there that day? If Debra regularly visited her aunt - which I don't know, of course, but I'm thinking maybe - then she might've known area kids, who would know her when she went to swim. They might have been able to tell LE if anything noteworthy happened there, like any arguments with others, if anyone was watching Debra unusually and perhaps followed her when she left, etc.

no, deborah did not visit our aunt frequently at all. i don't believe anyone was questioned at the pool, and if the police did look for witnesses, several hours had passed since she disappeared. it is my understanding the police believed she was a run away (and she was not). my sister did not run off. :(

Charles Pierce is a possibility. He worked at carnivals in Rockville, CT. He confessed to the murder of my sister, Janice, and I believe he may have confessed to Debbie's murder as well. The police did not believe him in Janice's case, and he was known to falsely confess. But I wonder if he was ever questioned in Debbie's disappearance.

Charles Pierce is a possibility. He worked at carnivals in Rockville, CT. He confessed to the murder of my sister, Janice, and I believe he may have confessed to Debbie's murder as well. The police did not believe him in Janice's case, and he was known to falsely confess. But I wonder if he was ever questioned in Debbie's disappearance.

sister, i was looking at charles pierce as well as harold meade. won't know if he was questioned in debbie's case until i can make a trip to ct. and talk with the vernon pd.

sister, i was looking at charles pierce as well as harold meade. won't know if he was questioned in debbie's case until i can make a trip to ct. and talk with the vernon pd.

Charles Pierce died in prison i believe of cancer or something to that effect i am not sure what year.
he
did confess to killing Andy Puglisi of mass they checked out both his stories relating to janice pockett of tolland and the mass boy. they even took cadiver dogs to where he said the boys body would be. but the dogs did not react at all. tolland pd after hearing his confession determined he had nothing to do with janice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back