Editing Posts

How can it be done?

Like this.

Post a reply then go back and hit the edit button. Click on the button and make your changes then hit save. This is only good for about the first 24 hours of your post. After that it can't be changed.

You can edit your own comment up to 24 hours after posting, I believe. Find your comment, click on the "edit" button in the bottom right corner of your comment and edit or delete what you want. You can't edit your thread title though....

Good luck!

If your time runs out and it's something EXREMELY important..let one of us mods know and we will help you out, maybe....we can't just delete threads because people don't like what others are saying....we don't have time to do this all day, so make it important if ya ask ;)

Why is it only available for such a short time? It would be very handy, even essential in some cases, to be able to go back and make corrections or add things to old posts. This is the only forum where I have seen that limitation.

Why is it only available for such a short time? It would be very handy, even essential in some cases, to be able to go back and make corrections or add things to old posts. This is the only forum where I have seen that limitation.
I would be appreciative if someone could answer this question. I am interested in being able to use the editing function post-24 hours, and I don't understand why one can't do that here.

I would be appreciative if someone could answer this question. I am interested in being able to use the editing function post-24 hours, and I don't understand why one can't do that here.
I am only guessing at an answer- but what good would it be to edit a post say 3-4 days later and a zillion posts have been made afterwords- makes more sense to post a new post with your comments that were left out, than to add to an old existing post-

CrimeSolver, it may be that those who read this thread didn't have the answer. Some forums don't allow any time to edit posts, and some only allow a 10 minute window to edit posts. I don't know why there is a 24 hour window to edit posts, but perhaps someone else or a mod may know the answer.

Lion

Also, you can use the "go advanced" version to be able to edit things in your post just clicking edit won't let you do. "Go Advanced" takes you to a new page, as if you are making a new post, but to edit your post. :)

Eh, at a different message board I participate in, you get five minutes in which to edit your post, and then, you are supposed to note what you changed and not wholesale change or erase your post with the exception of it being a duplicate post. (It is considered dishonest there to not admit to the changes you made, because someone could already have replied to your post as it was. They want you to either note where you make the changes, or simply to do the "ETA:" for additions. They don't quibble too much on typos or simple errors, but big changes, they want you to own.) Quote yourself, and make the corrections/additions if it has been more than a day? :)

Kat,

That is what I was thinking, you said it better than I could though. If you change an old post when the conversation has "flowed" since you posted then it wouldn't make much sense.

Just quote yourself and note your changes and then what ever you want to change can be seen by those that posted with you. It could give new life to an old thread, maybe?

How far back are you wanting to go CS?

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'd like to be able to correct typos that I might not spot immediately, but, more importantly, I'd like to be able to add material (such as maps or photos) that I might not have had at hand when I first wrote a post.

I understand wanting to retain the flow of a conversation, but I'm talking more about the ability to amend posts that are static, like threads I have started with descriptions of specific crimes. Besides, editing posts has never been an apparent problem at any of the other forums I frequent, where editing can be done indefinitely. It seems to me tradeoff is worth it.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'd like to be able to correct typos that I might not spot immediately, but, more importantly, I'd like to be able to add material (such as maps or photos) that I might not have had at hand when I first wrote a post.

I understand wanting to retain the flow of a conversation, but I'm talking more about the ability to amend posts that are static, like threads I have started with descriptions of specific crimes. Besides, editing posts has never been an apparent problem at any of the other forums I frequent, where editing can be done indefinitely. It seems to me tradeoff is worth it.
hmmmm, guess you'll have to talk to a mod, I don't know how they would handle this. Nice meeting you, though. See you around the boards.

Same to you, LL&S.:)

KatK, how does that work with the "Go Advanced"? I clicked on it, and it took me to a new post. I don't see how I can access a previous one.

Editing your posts isn't going to "bump" up a stagnant thread... just quote yourself and add the new info - that way all the pertinent info is together.

In this type of forum I can see why a thread cannot be edited or deleted after such a time period. It's a "record" of sorts and can protect someone as much as catch them in duplicity...

Editing your posts isn't going to "bump" up a stagnant thread...
No, I understand that. I just like everything to be accurate and complete, and adding stuff by making a new post at the end just isn't "neat and tidy". Guess I'm a little OCD in that regard.

No, I understand that. I just like everything to be accurate and complete, and adding stuff by making a new post at the end just isn't "neat and tidy". Guess I'm a little OCD in that regard.

Yeah... but you can edit the quote when you quote the post! Just make note at the end that you changed/corrected the info after the quote...

MagicRose99 said:
Yeah... but you can edit the quote when you quote the post! Just make note at the end that you changed/corrected the info after the quote...
I don't quite understand. Is that a way to circumvent the editing restriction and revise original posts? If so, I don't get how it works. I think that might be what KatK was talking about with the "Go Advanced" button.

<snip> I think that might be what KatK was talking about with the "Go Advanced" button. THIS BOLD PURPLE TEXT ADDED TO THE QOUTE BY KATK TO SHOW WHAT THE OTHER POSTER MEANS. So long as I don't erase the code (that would be [ ]'s and the stuff inside them, like quote or /quote.) I can alter this.

Like what I did above. See I snipped your post some, and put <snip> in there, and made it blatently obvious what I was adding? :) ETA: So, sort of what I was talking about if you mean the part where I said "Quote your post and make your additions or corrections." If I want to add smilies into this ETA bit, I will have to "Go Advanced" if I don't know the code to get them. I know this one :) and this one ;) and this one :D but not this one :crazy: .

I don't quite understand. Is that a way to circumvent the editing restriction and revise original posts? If so, I don't get how it works. I think that might be what KatK was talking about with the "Go Advanced" button. All I did was quote your post... added my comment in your quote.

and make note down here that I edited the original quote in bold.

Quoting takes you to the "Advanced" area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back