Do-Si-Don'ts? Girl Scout Cookie Fans Taste A Difference

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/16247282.html?page=1&c=y

...But back to the issue at hand — the Girl Scout Do-Si-Dos, or as they are officially called this year, Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies.
First, some background.
There are only two companies nationally that are licensed to bake Girl Scout cookies.
One is ABC Bakers, a division of Interbake Foods LLC of Richmond, Va., which has been baking Girl Scout cookies since 1939. The other is Little Brownie Bakers of Louisville, Ky., which has been baking cookies for the Girl Scouts since 1974.
Girl Scouts of North East Ohio, the newly formed council that encompasses 18 Ohio counties, contracted with ABC for its cookies this year. It's a departure for Akron-area folks, because our former council traditionally bought its cookies from Little Brownie.
That's why the cookies had name changes this year. Cookie names are proprietary, so what the cookies are called depends on who bakes them.
Little Brownie's Do-Si-Dos are ABC's Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies, and Little Brownie's Samoas are ABC's Caramel deLites. ABC's Peanut Butter Patties are Little Brownie's Tagalongs, and an ABC Shortbread cookie by any other name is a Little Brownie Trefoil. (more at link)

I wonder if anyone tastes the difference where you are located? Even if there are two different bakeries, I think the main recipe should be strictly adhered to.

The shortbread cookies have not been the same for years, IMO. I don't know about the others though. We didn't buy any this year. (yet!)

Interesting story...I just thought they changed the names up; I would have thought the Girl Scouts would have some kind of trademark for the cookie names, not the bakery. Thanks for posting!

TM, the Shortbreads I believe you are right. I just thought it was me the last couple of years. Dang, and I didn't give it too much thought. If they dare removed the trans fats I'll about have a fit. We had that law passed here. No trans fats. You wanna taste a french fry without trans fats? Heck no. Very interesting story. Danka, TM! Can I say my Brownie pledge now?

I thought the tagalongs tasted different.
Who remembers their girl scout pledge? Lol.
Something like, "on my honor, I will try to serve God and my country something something and live by the girl scout law."

I thought the tagalongs tasted different.
Who remembers their girl scout pledge? Lol.
Something like, "on my honor, I will try to serve God and my country something something and live by the girl scout law."

You omitted the words "to do my duty". It was: On my honor, I will try to do my duty to serve God and my country and live by the girl scout law.

It's changed slightly now, and they omitted "to do my duty".

I didn't know it had been changed. When I was trying to remember it I kept hearing it in my head like abunch of kids reciting it like at our meetings. i loved being in girl scouts.

Now I want one of them Shortbread cookies and I want the old kind. Dang you, Taxi Mom. LOL

Sorry, Filly! lol I'm kind of glad they changed the recipe for the trefoils. I don't eat them anymore! :crazy:

Sorry, Filly! lol I'm kind of glad they changed the recipe for the trefoils. I don't eat them anymore! :crazy:

Man, I wish they'd do that for the poundcake I ate a piece of yesterday. Taheck with them trefoils.

You omitted the words "to do my duty". It was: On my honor, I will try to do my duty to serve God and my country and live by the girl scout law. It's changed slightly now, and they omitted "to do my duty".

Did anyone ever wonder what the "girl scout law" was? We never questioned, but I wonder what it meant.

I think all of them taste different,also they are much thinner and smaller. I didn't have a daughter in girl scouts,but always bought a LOT of cookies,from relatives,co-workers,etc.,more for helping the girl scouts out,then wanting the cookies.My order start getting smaller and smaller as the cookies changed and the price got higher.Last year was the first year I didn't buy any.I noticed a lot of the usual buyers didn't much either.

That's too bad.

I live in Louisville, and had no idea GS cookies were baked here!! That rocks!

I used to buy them all the time. Not anymore they're awful tasting and overpriced. I don't even feel guilty:) I learned to just say, NO!

oh...french fries are terrible now.......McDonald's can keep em!

I used to buy them all the time. Not anymore they're awful tasting and overpriced. I don't even feel guilty:) I learned to just say, NO!

oh...french fries are terrible now.......McDonald's can keep em!

The guilt. Right? I used to too Linda, but now as they approach I say "Scram". Naw, but they cost for some cookies. I could go to the bakery or buy a Tastykake. Now I'm gonna have a Girl Scout curse on me.

I want some Thin Mints now, dang all of you!!!!!! :crazy: I can't ever get enough of them...I need to buy enough to freeze every year but of course I never do.

I want some Thin Mints now, dang all of you!!!!!! :crazy: I can't ever get enough of them...I need to buy enough to freeze every year but of course I never do.

I bought extra, just had some, wish I could send you some, but I can tell you we're still doing booth sales of cookies through next Saturday, so check your local markets, movie theaters, and Starbucks for Girl Scouts.

I bought extra, just had some, wish I could send you some, but I can tell you we're still doing booth sales of cookies through next Saturday, so check your local markets, movie theaters, and Starbucks for Girl Scouts.

Will do....Thanks, LinasK!!!

Almost every year in the past, we are deluged with cookie order forms. This year, nada. I'm so bummed! I know I can check out our local grocery store entrance as there are usually some being sold there.

Any new flavors this year?

Almost every year in the past, we are deluged with cookie order forms. This year, nada. I'm so bummed! I know I can check out our local grocery store entrance as there are usually some being sold there.

Any new flavors this year?

Lemon Chalet Cremes. Funny, when we sold at the market, last Tuesday, seems like everyone had already been deluged door-to-door.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back