SC SC - John, 47, & Elizabeth Calvert, 45, Hilton Head, 3 March 2008

jennyjwv

Reaction score
ATLANTA, Ga. -- John and Elizabeth "Liz" Calvert, owners of Harbour Town Yacht Basin and Harbour Town Resorts in Hilton Head, S.C., have been reported missing after failing to show up at business meetings and work on Tuesday, March 4.

more @ link http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15506495/detail.html

At this point it could be anything. I hope they are OK and are found safe and soon. I will be watching this one to see what happens.

I do think it odd that both of them and the vehicle are missing. I wonder if there was a traffic accident and possibly the vehicle went over in a pond or something. As I remember the area around there are low to no shoulders on the roads and pretty swampy. I once lost control of my vehicle at an intersection down there on a rainy day. Fortunately I was able to correct it but this is what made me think of a possible accident.

an accident sounds probable - i wonder if they had any financial issues or business rivals???? who really knows @ this point.....

Can't they track the Mercedes through the navigation system?

I was wondering that myself. It does say their cell phones and blackberries were turned off. But the lowjack ( or whatever it is called) should be on. One thing I read at ajc.com a few minutes ago is that LE was using dogs in the yacht. It seems they brought the dogs in around 3 PM today.

If this was some kind of kidnapping for ransom then family should be hearing from the kidnapper. If it was a carjacking then the navigational system should be able to locate the vehicle. Now, if this was a car accident and the vehicle is under water, for instance, I don't know if the system would still work.

This was a well to do and community oriented couple so that is why I brought up kidnapping. The other two vehicles and their private plane were where they were supposed to be so it is a mystery right now.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local/story/212312.html

Strange. I am sure hoping that they are found alive and well very soon.

SNIPPET
==========================================================
Detectives searched the yacht, but found nothing to indicate the couple's location or fate, authorities said.
Elizabeth Calvert has had a pilot's license since March 2006, and frequently flew out of Hilton Head Island Airport. Her plane, a Cirrus SR20, had not yet been located by Wednesday night, Tanner said.
The Calverts' neighbors in Atlanta haven't seen them since late last week, when Elizabeth Calvert stayed overnight with the couple's dog. They also have a cat, but no children, neighbors said.
A light was on inside their Atlanta home Wednesday, which is rare when they're away, said Goodloe H. Yancey III, a neighbor.
"This is very distressing," she said when told by a

One of the first articles said the GPS on the car wasn't enabled, and their phones hadn't been used since 6pm on Monday.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local/story/212312.html

Strange. I am sure hoping that they are found alive and well very soon.

SNIPPET
==========================================================
Detectives searched the yacht, but found nothing to indicate the couple's location or fate, authorities said.
Elizabeth Calvert has had a pilot's license since March 2006, and frequently flew out of Hilton Head Island Airport. Her plane, a Cirrus SR20, had not yet been located by Wednesday night, Tanner said.
The Calverts' neighbors in Atlanta haven't seen them since late last week, when Elizabeth Calvert stayed overnight with the couple's dog. They also have a cat, but no children, neighbors said.
A light was on inside their Atlanta home Wednesday, which is rare when they're away, said Goodloe H. Yancey III, a neighbor.
"This is very distressing," she said when told by a

Very strange as this article indicates the plane has been accounted for.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...issing_0306.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

I would think Mercedes - or whoever runs the system could turn the GPS on and find the car? When you susbscribe to those services they are typically activated remotely.

I would think Mercedes - or whoever runs the system could turn the GPS on and find the car? When you susbscribe to those services they are typically activated remotely.

OH, duh, that makes sense! I wonder how that works. What if the car is not running or the GPS unit not turned on? Not sure about this stuff.

Possibly, but I would think there is probably something in the vehicle that has to be powered on to send the GPS signal. I don't know how the Mercedes incorporates the GPS device in its vehicles. Maybe it's an "always on" feature, but I imagine that LE would have had Mercedes-Benz activate GPS if it was a possibility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back