LKSchulze2.jpg

Schulze, circa 1971

Lynne Kathryn Schulze
Missing since December 10, 1971 from Middlebury, Addison County, Vermont
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: 1953
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5’3”; 115 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
  • Marks, Scars: Severe acne on face at time of disappearance.
  • Clothing: Blue jeans, brown ski parka and maroon pullover sweater.
  • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Schulze was last seen at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont on December 10, 1971.
She headed across campus to take an exam when, friends said, she turned around and went back to retrieve a pencil from her dorm room.
Other than a report that she allegedly was spotted walking along U.S. 7 south of Middlebury later that day, she was never seen again. She left behind all her clothes and her wallet.
Lynne and a group of her friends got together one weekend in the fall of 1971, for a Leon Russell concert in New Hampshire. After the concert, the group all all piled into a dorm room and talked all the way into the morning. One of her friends talked about a fantasy he had--of faking his own death and starting over, somewhere else, all by himself. Lynne said she'd been feeling that way herself.
In truth, the friend never really intended to follow through with his plan. "The truth is, it was only talk. We were just two scared, lonely kids talking our way through the night. Or so I thought."
But in December, Lynne Schulze left her dorm at Middlebury College and headed off to class. Then she disappeared from the face of the earth. There is no suspect information, however, her disappearance is considered suspicious.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Middlebury Police Department
Officer Vegar Boe
802-388-3191
Email

NCIC Number:
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Vermont State Police
Motorcyclist Online
Burlington Free Press - 10/30/05

Last Updated on: November 13, 2005
Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

Excellent article - well worth reading!

Excerpts:

http://www.addisonindependent.com/News/062305missing.html

FRUITLESS SEARCH

Police could not confirm that report, nor other alleged sightings of Schulze at Middlebury’s old Lockwood’s Restaurant, in Rutland and in Burlington.

An article in the Jan. 27 issue of the Addison County Independent reported a Bristol man had given a ride to a woman fitting Schulze’s description. The man said he had taken her to the interstate, where she planned to hitchhike to Washington, D.C. But at the same time, calls came in from Northampton, Mass., and Clare*mont, N.H., from people swearing they’d seen Schulze.

Meanwhile, Otto and Virginia Schulze — Lynne’s parents — came to Middlebury to clean out their daughter’s dorm room and join in the search. The couple circulated photos of Lynne, but every promising lead turned into a dead end.

Authorities thought they’d solved the mystery in May 1972, when they believed they’d tracked Schulze to a commune in Greensboro Bend in Orleans County.

Former Middlebury Police Chief Robert Van Ness reported that two officers — including former Vergennes Police Chief Norman Gadue — had positively identified her as being at the commune. Van Ness was so sure he’d located Schulze, he was preparing to cancel a 50-state missing persons alarm that had been sounded after her disappearance.

The commune tip, however, proved to be a case of mistaken identity.

Subsequent police interviews with some of Schulze’s friends added a further element of intrigue into the case.

“She apparently had made some comments about dropping out of society,” Boe said. “Some people thought she had more or less succeeded.”

Days turned into months, and months turned into years. The more time went by, the colder Schulze’s trail became. The hole in Otto and Virginia Schulze’s heart grew larger. There was nothing in the family history to indicate friction between Lynne and her parents.

“As a parent, your heart goes out to the parents in this case,” Middlebury Police Chief Tom Hanley said. “They went through a whole lifetime, not knowing what happened to their daughter. That is a motivating factor in keeping this case alive.”

MODERN TECHNOLOGY

Otto and Virginia Schulze died several years ago, but not before leaving a genetic key that could one day unlock the secret of their daughter’s fate.

In 1992, authorities went to Florida to take DNA samples from the parents that, together with dental records, could produce a match for remains that fit Lynne Schulze’s profile.

<snip>

“Recently, we have gotten lots of tips from the Doe Network,” Boe said.

The hottest of those tips came in 2002, when authorities in Columbus, Ohio, uncovered a set of bones they believed could have belonged to Schulze. Middlebury police sent along Lynne’s dental records and DNA profile.

“They could not rule her in, or rule her out,” Boe said of the results of that investigation.

PURSUING LOCAL LEADS

But Middlebury police have not been overly reliant on such Web sites; they’ve been doing their own field work on the case.

Hanley recalled that in 1991, a fisherman snagged some hair while angling beneath the Otter Creek falls.

“We put some divers in, but found nothing,” Hanley said. “It was human hair, but not consistent with (Lynne’s).”

Middlebury police occasionally check the banks of the Otter Creek, to see if any human remains may have washed up on shore.

“She didn’t just vaporize,” Hanley said, summarizing the frustration of his department.

It’s a frustration that’s been exacerbated by false murder confessions from inmates in prisons stretching from New York to Florida. One suspect, implicated in the disappearance of some teen-aged girls in upstate New York at the time, confessed to killing Schulze.

“Each time, (the suspects) were ruled out,” Boe said. “They were trying to stay their own executions.”

Authorities have also looked into cults, to see if Schulze may have been brainwashed into abandoning her former life. Again, no sign of her.

“The whole surroundings of how she disappeared mystifies us,” Boe said.

Okay, just thinking aloud here....

What if she's alive and an accomplished vet?

http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/kate_schulze.htmlwww.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/kate_schulze.html
Dr. Kate Schulze

Kate Schulze, DVM

Dr. Kate Schulze graduated from Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1985. She began practicing small animal medicine and surgery in California and three years later undertook a one-year internship at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia. In 1989, she returned to the United States and to small animal practice in California.

Dr. Schulze and her husband, Ray, moved to Tucson in 1992. It was Ray's work with Research Corporation that enabled them to return to the desert.

Note: I checked it out and I believe Schulze is her maiden name, Kelleman is her married name. Ok, Lynne would be 52 years old now. If we backtrack, and assume Dr. Schulze is Lynne was 32 when she graduated. Lynne was 18 when she disappeared... that would leave about 10 years to establish herself in Texas and go back to school.

Is it possible?

Does the photo look like a woman who's around 50 (personally I was thinking 40s but then the desert air is good on the skin!)? Also the Doc's face seems to be longer... yet is still similiar to Lynne's... maybe family traits, after all they are both Schulze's?

Does this make any sense????

LKSchulze.jpg
KSTooralie.jpg
LKSchulze2.jpg

Pondering... that link does not work. Is there another one you can post with a picture of this woman?

The thing that is wierd to me about this case is that she would voluntarily drop out of sight. Why would someone do that to their family?? I mean I do not know what her relationship with her parents was but that is cruel. There are alot of unanswered questions....

got the link to work.

It is hard to say because the vet pic is not a close up to see her features better. But from what I see it COULD be...

This case is very similar to that of Paula Jean Welden, who disappeared from Bennington (VT) College, some 80 miles from Middlebury, in December of '46. It was rumored at the time that Paula was unhappy with her life and disappeared voluntarily, also. Since Paula's case had nearly taken on the status of an urban legend, maybe Ms. Schulze drew some inspiration from Paula?

Since the beginning of time, people have left their life behind, on purpose, and struck out on their own.

Sometimes its because of abuse, sometimes its because of another's influence, sometimes its in pursuit of a lifestyle, and sometimes its because they just don't live up to the image their current life represents.

In Lynne's case, she had just started at the school 3 months before. Didn't have any close friends there, etc.. Maybe she decided to follow someone who she knew, who had decided to study elsewhere?

Maybe she became pregnant and knew her folks couldn't accept that (there is no evidence of this by the way).

Until they find her, or her remains, the mystery of why remains hidden.... unfortunately sometimes its "Just Because".

That first picture reminds me a LOT of "Cali"...But then I noticed the eye color. I guess she would be a little old by '79, too.
Just thinking out loud again.

An article in the below link written by a college friend of Lynne's.

Looking For Lynne Schulze
I could tell you that I didn't know where we were going, that angling toward the upper left of Vermont was just random chance. It wouldn't be true. There was one person I really wanted to see again. We peeled off at Bethel, Vermont, headed west on 107, and turned north on Route 100, the winding two-lane that seems to connect every ski mountain in the state. It was getting to be early evening, and the road was all but deserted. We may have trespassed against a motor-vehicle code section or two. The BMW was a more than willing co-conspirator: It's one of those bikes that feels happiest when it's tilted way over, and I found myself happy to oblige.

I stopped for dinner at a roadside burger stand in Hancock. I was the last customer of the night, and when my burger was ready, the cook came out of his hot trailer and sat with me at one of the picnic tables. Larry Jakes told me he had fought in Korea, and when he came back he settled here, in this valley in the shadow of the Green Mountains. Over the years, he had done about everything he wanted, except one--he had never been to Paris. And this last year, he had done that, too. I thanked Larry, finished my fries, closed my jacket tight, and headed up over the hill toward Middlebury.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/favoriterides/122_0205_home/

Hmmm... This is very ironic. Read this article by Lynne SchulzeCommitment

by: Lynne Schulze

A true commitment is a heart felt promise to yourself, from which you will NOT back down, no matter what the circumstances may be!

Many people have good intentions and dreams, but only a few are willing to commit to what is necessary to achieve them. Do a review on your commitment level, ask yourself these questions and be honest with the answers.

• How badly do I want to achieve my dreams?
  • What will achieving my dreams mean to me?
  • What price am I willing to pay to make this happen?
  • Do I believe I can?

The ability to achieve your goals and dreams will be determined by the level to which YOU are willing to commit. NOTHING is as important as this fact!

There is a huge difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something you only do it when it is convenient. When you are committed to something you accept NO excuses.

The enemy of commitment is resistance. Anything you wish to achieve that is worthwhile, will meet with resistance. This can take the form of, family friends, advisers, self-doubt, self-defeating habits, lack of money, regulations, peer-pressure and many other unforseen difficulties, such as illness etc.

This can leave you questioning your dreams or even your sanity! Take some comfort in the fact that you are not alone. All those who wish to make a better life for themselves, will meet with resistence

Think of athletes or performers in any field. The endless hours of practice and learning. The lack of a social life. The defeats . The huge amount of sacrifices and challenges these people have to meet so they can fulfill their dreams. Only YOU can decide whether the rewards you look forward to are worth your effort.

A serious commitment to a goal does not mean you have to take all the joy and fun out of life. Laughter and humour are an integeral part of the human make up. Intergrate fun into your daily goals.

Learn the difference betweeen giving up and giving in. There may be many times when giving up a certain direction or idea, would be wise. Giving in, on the other hand, should never even be considered.

Life presents itself one day at a time. Take your commitments in daily bite-sized pieces. You can do without mental indigestion! One brick at a time, a house is built. One stroke at a time, the artist paints!

About The Author

Copyright (c) Lynne Schulze. Lynne is webmaster of www.cashstyle.com and a member of the international association of home business entrepreneurs www.ezinfocenter.com/8583674/iahbe

jensschulze@bigpond.com

I too found that article and it tweaked me. I searched for a photo of this Lynne and came up empty.... there was another article though that led me to believe she was younger than the Lynne we are looking for, although I could be wrong about that.

I was reading her profile and wasn't ted Bundy in Vermont aroud that time frame visiting the home for unwed mothers he was born in? There was another vermont girl that some thought he may have been invoved in but I can't find her thread. i swore she had one.

I think Bundy visited Vermont prior to 1971, but I could be mistaken.

Either way I don't think that's a good reason to assume he was involved in Lynne's case. Sadly I'm sure that even if he was in Vermont at the time, there were many other predators there.

I know, i just saw that she vanished from a college, sounded similar to Georgeanne hawkins.

I could tell you that I didn't know where we were going, that angling toward the upper left of Vermont was just random chance. It wouldn't be true. There was one person I really wanted to see again. We peeled off at Bethel, Vermont, headed west on 107, and turned north on Route 100, the winding two-lane that seems to connect every ski mountain in the state. It was getting to be early evening, and the road was all but deserted. We may have trespassed against a motor-vehicle code section or two. The BMW was a more than willing co-conspirator: It's one of those bikes that feels happiest when it's tilted way over, and I found myself happy to oblige.

122_0205_home08_z.jpg

please click on the link for the rest of the article.
Please Scroll to the middle of the page.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/f...home/index.html

122_0205_home08_z.jpg

please click on the link for the rest of the article.
Please Scroll to the middle of the page.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/f...home/index.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10