AP Probe Finds Drugs In Drinking Water

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080309/ap_on_re_us/pharmawater_i;_ylt=Atcue39iWxN_4iehu2hlET2s0NUE

I think we've heard this before, but here's an updated article.

By JEFF DONN, MARTHA MENDOZA and JUSTIN PRITCHARD, Associated Press Writers 1 hour, 36 minutes ago

A vast array of pharmaceuticals — including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones — have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

and

In the course of a five-month inquiry, the AP discovered that drugs have been detected in the drinking water supplies of 24 major metropolitan areas — from Southern California to Northern New Jersey, from Detroit to Louisville, Ky.
Water providers rarely disclose results of pharmaceutical screenings, unless pressed, the AP found. For example, the head of a group representing major California suppliers said the public "doesn't know how to interpret the information" and might be unduly alarmed.

and

Another issue: There's evidence that adding chlorine, a common process in conventional drinking water treatment plants, makes some pharmaceuticals more toxic.
Human waste isn't the only source of contamination. Cattle, for example, are given ear implants that provide a slow release of trenbolone, an anabolic steroid used by some bodybuilders, which causes cattle to bulk up. But not all the trenbolone circulating in a steer is metabolized. A German study showed 10 percent of the steroid passed right through the animals.
Water sampled downstream of a Nebraska feedlot had steroid levels four times as high as the water taken upstream. Male fathead minnows living in that downstream area had low testosterone levels and small heads. Other veterinary drugs also play a role. Pets are now treated for arthritis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, allergies, dementia, and even obesity — sometimes with the same drugs as humans. The inflation-adjusted value of veterinary drugs rose by 8 percent, to $5.2 billion, over the past five years, according to an analysis of data from the Animal Health Institute.
(much more at link)

I don't know why I am so shocked. Our world is just going down so fast now. Unsafe water, unsafe soil, unsafe neighbors! Where are we safe? What is safe to do?

I just drink tequila. Way safer IMO.

pixie,
Stay at home, read a good book and drink sodas. ;)
I'm sure that's not safe either.

pixie,
Stay at home, read a good book and drink sodas. ;)
I'm sure that's not safe either.

hahaha! Sounds like everyday to me!

My mom just sent me an email about the danger of "diet drinks" so we are all doomed!

I think we are supposed to drink half our body weight in ounces of water a day, so I am just going to substitute tequila.

JBean,

That tequila may solve your drinking water problem,but what about that nasty worm?? Myth has it that the worm was eaten as an aphrodisiac.(Or at least that was the myth all the college boys believed...heh heh).

I read about this earlier. Eww, this grosses me out immensely.

I think we are supposed to drink half our body weight in ounces of water a day, so I am just going to substitute tequila.
bawaaaa :clap:
If we can't drink our water, I'd say tequila is fair game.

This could explain why people seem to be going nuts everywhere

So what's left? Filtered rainwater?

Cholesterol fighting medications in the water was amusing because my doctor said they'd like to put it into the water supply like fluoride. I guess they got their wish!

Well I have said all along that the problems with the world today is because of the water..it is the common denominator that links us..everyone drinks water. and the air with all the pollutants..no wonder the world is as crazy as it is and only getting worse by the day.:mad:

So I guess I have been proven correct..Thank goodness we dont drink much water, but my pets do and their health isnt great. had to put my Chow down a couple of years ago because of cancer in her mouth..

Well I have said all along that the problems with the world today is because of the water..it is the common denominator that links us..everyone drinks water. and the air with all the pollutants..no wonder the world is as crazy as it is and only getting worse by the day.:mad:

Penelope,
Sure is scary hu? Sorry about your Chow. :(
Where I live the air is actually pretty clean and I actually thought the water was too, until now.
We use a water filter but guess that doesn't do much.

I just drink tequila. Way safer IMO.

There you go! I'll stick to my seabreeze drink.

From the link above:

"People take pills. Their bodies absorb some of the medication, but the rest of it passes through and is flushed down the toilet. The wastewater is treated before it is discharged into reservoirs, rivers or lakes. Then, some of the water is cleansed again at drinking water treatment plants and piped to consumers. But most treatments do not remove all drug residue."

There you go! I'll stick to my seabreeze drink.

From the link above:

"People take pills. Their bodies absorb some of the medication, but the rest of it passes through and is flushed down the toilet. The wastewater is treated before it is discharged into reservoirs, rivers or lakes. Then, some of the water is cleansed again at drinking water treatment plants and piped to consumers. But most treatments do not remove all drug residue."

Hey, if that's true, maybe I can drink a WHOLE lot of water and cut out my medications. Think of all the money I'll save.

Although the tequila sounds funner for sure.

Part of the problem, or so I've heard, is people flushing meds (pet or human) down the toilet. And then there's the illegal drugs also dumped down the toilet...

Frankly, I just don't read any of this stuff if I can help it. I figure nowdays everything is bad for you from water to breathing.

Pass the butter. Pass the tequila. Pass the chocolate and the cream sauces.

Part of the problem, or so I've heard, is people flushing meds (pet or human) down the toilet. And then there's the illegal drugs also dumped down the toilet...

Frankly, I just don't read any of this stuff if I can help it. I figure nowdays everything is bad for you from water to breathing.

Pass the butter. Pass the tequila. Pass the chocolate and the cream sauces.

I agree with you anneinchicago,it's come to that point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back